We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip starting/ending in LA

Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
2 week trip starting/ending in LA

Hi All,

Have been looking at the forums (here and road trip) all day but would welcome some advice. We can get reasonably priced flights into and out of LA at the end of June beginning of July 2014. I would be travelling with my husband and 4 year old son. I see from other posts suggestions of flying out of/into SF but unfortunately the flights double in price that way and it would make the proposed trip out of our budget.

Bearing the above in mind I would like to spend 2 weeks (we could add an extra day or two) travelling from, around and back to LA. We would hire a car and will stay in cheaper accommodation. Obviously with a 4 year old Disney appeals and I'm sure ticket prices are expensive. We are outgoing and like to do all kinds of activities - beach, bikes, hikes etc. so we are open to suggestions. I have just been to Las Vegas and with a 4 year old would rule it out (even though I know others don't) but if we could fit in GC great if not Yosemite really appeals.

I welcome some expert advice on a possible/doable itinerary which would mean we aren't driving all day although my son doesn't mind a few hours holed up in the back!

I look forward to your feedback.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,883 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

Hi

I'm glad you've already given some thought to your itinerary. I recommend that you go "up" one level to the California state forum page and read the relevant Top Questions on the right. In particular, read the info about the Hwy 1 coastal drive and the California Itineraries. Then post a new thread on that forum. (This one is just about the vast & exciting Los Angeles area.)

Including Yosemite means you need to set your plans soon and to begin hunting for lodging. Yosemite is very popular in the summer. I'll chime in on your new California state forum thread when I see it.

California tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

Agree, post in the California forum for more responses. You might want to consider a loop, from LA to San Francisco (via the very scenic Highway 1 / coastal route drive, covered extensively in the California forum's top questions), over to Yosemite, and possibly the GC, and then back down to LA.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

When you are ready to get into the details of each city, come on back to this forum for help with the Los Angeles portion. There are so many things for a family to do, and many of them here in LA will be very cheap or free. Between Griffith Park and all the children's activities there, to the beach towns where many family live, we can give you some fun ideas with your four year old.

Happy planning!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

OK, wanting a lower price point and near attractions, I would look at San Diego area for a few days. The Old Town Inn is a good budget option, highly rated at TA, next to the Old Town State Park area. Plenty of place a 4 year old would love, SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park and more.

www.sandiego.org

The Anaheim/Garden Grove area is where Disneyland is located, plenty of lower cost accommodations available. Other attractions are in the area, and are cheaper than Disneyland such as Knott's Berry Farm with Camp Snoopy, Adventure City a small Amusement park designed for young kids, the Discovery Science Center, Santa Ana Zoo and much more.

www.visittheoc.com

sandytoesandpopsicles.com/orange-county/…

Drive up the coast between the two area, use LAX as the airport to arrive in and fly out of.

Both locations give you plenty of options for day trips, many of them low cost or free.

That is a start.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

With your time, I'd try to include Yosemite but eliminate Grand Canyon,which is far out of your way.

Possible trip, one of many:

LA: 3 nights

Pismo Beach: 1 night (visit Santa Barbara, which is half-way between LA and PB, for several hours) 4 hour drive in all.

Monterey: 2 nights (Big Sur drive between Pismo Beach and Monterey on day 1, with lots of stops. Day 2, spend in Monterey, area, go to Pt. Lobos, Monterey Bay Aquarium.)

Yosemite: 2-3 nights. (Reservations to be made very early, or you might need to stay outside the park.)

San Francisco: 3 nights. (Possibly drop car on arrival in SF. If so, fly to LA. Check for good rates on Southwest Airlines.)

LA: Fly home after last night in LA. Perhaps stay in Manhattan Beach, a small, relaxed, cute beach community very near LAX.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

I forgot to include Anaheim/San Diego. You might head south first from LAX. Sleep Anaheim, get Disneyland out of the way early so your child can relax. (Or, alternately, keep it for last as a bargaining chip for good behavior...sounds mean, but you know your child...). A couple of days in San Diego would be great.

So MAYBE start Anaheim, continue to San Diego, then visit LA, then continue north as specified before. It would obviously help to add a couple of days, but 14 nights might work for a slightly rushed trip.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 18:07
7. Re: 2 week trip starting/ending in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:18