We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Will have a short layover at LAX, arriving at 930pm and then departing the next morning at 830am. My girlfriend has never been to LA before, my initial thought was a quick tour of Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica, perhaps even catching a cab and going somewhere to give her a glimpse of the Hollywood sign.

At that time of night, are the areas around Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica safe? We would just grab a bite to eat and walk around for a bit. Secondly, what is the time frame and price range to grab a taxi from the Hilton LAX to somewhere in Hollywood to see a bit of the touristy stuff?

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,215 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hollywood Sign
Hollywood Sign
6,501 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Hollywood is going to be most likely a $45-$55'ish taxi ride each way. Manhattan Beach should be in the $20 range each way, Santa Monica around $35 each way. Both Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach are safe. Most restaurants and shops will be closed by the time you reach any of these places, and it can be hard to see much at night, since a lot of what makes these places well known is the scenery. Hollywood is probably the area that will be most active feeling that late at night, with lots of foot traffic. Manhattan Beach has a great 24 hour eatery that is a local's favorite called The Kettle - not anything ultra-fancy but pretty solid.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,215 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,376 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

The Hollywood sign is not lit, so that may pose a viewing problem! Unless it's Thursday-Saturday nights, I don't expect Santa Monica will be very lively.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood Sign
Hollywood Sign
6,501 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

i wouldn't bother at that time of night. i don't understand this attraction to seeing a "sign". just have a nice night at your hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Do you land at 2130 or arrive at the hotel then? Do you leave your hotel at 0830 or take off then? Where are you flying from and to? And how much baggage will you have?

If the timings you quote are landing and take off times I'd say stay at your hotel.

If you're flying long haul on either of the two flights I'd stay at the hotel.

If the times are hotel to hotel and you're not flying particularly long haul then head somewhere for a meal but I would only consider going local, like the areas you've suggested.

If you have manageable baggage I would take them with you rather than wasting time heading to the hotel first.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,238 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

I agree just grab a bite too eat around the hotel and stay there.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,920 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Landing at 930 means setting off about 11 or 11:30, which is not worth doing at all - especially if you have to be at the airport at 6 or so for that 830 flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

And hour and a half or two hours to get out of the airport? Or even to get to the Hilton?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,920 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Taking into account shuttling to hotel, checking into the hotel and dropping off bags (and of course, customs, which last took me close to an hour) - and then setting off, yes.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 16:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

Just checking.

Hope to get through customs quicker, don't get a shuttle, don't go to the hotel, in a restaurant within an hour.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,920 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Layover at LAX- worth leaving the hotel?

I don't recommend going to the restaurant with your luggage, but if that's what you would like to do and you are really keen on seeing something at night, then do it. Where will you store the luggage, though? Will you keep the taxi for the couple of hours you have slated to go to and tour these sights?

Also, the places you want to see are anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes from LAX and the Hilton, so add that to the estimated time I gave you.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 16:54