We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

san diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

I'm taking my son who is 13 on a quick trip to LA he has a big school project and we are looking into visiting museums and landmarks to finish the project.

We are driving from San Diego, here is what I have planed so far:

11/27 - California Science Center lunch at mercado La Paloma, Hotel Check in Hollywood Area.

11/28 - Thanksgiving - Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, late lunch at Cheesecake Factory or Fogo de Chao

11/29 - Walt Disney Concert Hall, lunch at Phillipe's, Griffith Observatorium

11/30 - breakfast at Griddle Cafe, Getty Center, stop at Venice Beach on the way back to SD.

I tried to schedule the activities around the same area but I'm not familiar with LA at all.

Thank you for your input.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,627 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

Fogo de Chao and Cheesecake are both in San Diego, don't you want something different??

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

Don't see anything wrong with it. You probably have time on Thanksgiving itself to fit in one or two other things, but alas most everything will be closed that day. Likewise on Friday you could probably fit in some other stuff - Museum of Contemporary Art is near Disney Concert Hall, for instance. Also, might just be me but I think you have Cheesecake Factory in San Diego, so if it were me I'd pass and go to something you can't visit easily any time you want. Of course, that day being Thanksgiving, again choices may be limited but depending on what sort of food you want (and Fogo is indeed good if you don't have one near you) then maybe other options would be worth researching.

Joshua Tree...
Level Contributor
878 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

11/27 California Science Center also has an IMAX theater with several shows playing there. There is also an arcade Fun lab your son would probably enjoy ...

11/28 Walk of Fame is the sidewalk with cement stars in the squares with names of famous people, and the Chinese Theater is an area with movie star foot and hand prints... you could be done looking at this quite quickly. On basically the same block is Madame Tussauds Wax Museum (open on Thanksgiving) that could be fun - not to be confused with the Hollywood Wax museum which is within a block also. madametussauds.com/Hollywood/…Default.aspx

About 10 minutes from here is our famous LA Farmers Market - http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

Lots of "cool" souvenir & specialty shops, all sorts of food, and adjacent to that (you can park in one spot) is The Grove

a huge outdoor shopping are with tons of restaurants and stores of all types and movie theaters.

http://www.thegrovela.com/

After Hollywood you might consider eating at one of the many restaurants at The Grove because then you could be looking around at the cool Farmer's Market booths, the Grove shops, etc. without having to drive again. Or go to the restaurant you mentioned and then head over to the Farmers Market/The Grove. (The La Brea Tar Pits are just 5 minutes away but they are closed on Thanksgiving.)

11/29 Not to ask a dumb question but I assume you have tickets for Disney Concert Hall? For Griffith Park Observatory make sure to have the address and an idea of where it is because if you just rely on a car GPS it often sends people to the Griffith Park Main office in an entirely different location.

http://www.griffithobs.org/

Depending how long you spend at the observatory, if you end up with time, or perhaps on the way out of town the next day, consider stopping at:

The La Brea Tar Pits and Page museum (25 minutes from Griffith Observatory, 10 minutes from Hollywood)

http://www.tarpits.org/

This museum and the Tar Pits could also be an ALTERNATE to the Getty museum depending on what type of projects your son is doing. (It could also be more convenient for you as far as location since you mentioned that you are staying in the Hollywood area and planning to leave that day and stop at the beach on the way out)

Lastly, I think your son might have a better time stopping at the Santa Monica Pier rather than Venice (they are about 10 minutes apart). Your son is not too old for some of the rides that are on the pier, plus there is a large arcade right there on the pier, nice restaurants and if you're up to it, you could even rent a bike for 30-60 minutes and ride to Venice Pier (the two piers are connected by a cement bike/walkway right on the sand)

san diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

Thank you all for taking the time to review my plans I will definitely rework the plans specially on Thanksgiving Day The grove seems seems like a perfect place to celebrate!

san diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

I totally forgot they just opened a Fogo de Chao in San Diego! Cheesecake Factory is a family favorite but I'm not really set on either just wanted to have a general plan. It seems that the Grove is a much better option for us. Thanks again!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

Read reviews about Venice and decide if that is where you want to take your son.

7. Re: Thanksgiving trip with 13 y/o son please critique itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17