We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA through to New York by rental car

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
LA through to New York by rental car

Hi everyone!

I am beginning my plans for an American Christmas trip with my partner next year :) we re thinking of starting off in Los Angeles around 10 - 15 December and then making our way through to New York in time for Christmas, stopping at places along the way. so my questions are:

1. Any well priced car hire places with a good reputation?

2. Best places to stop along the way? Las Vegas is on my list

3. How long to stay in each of these places? I am thinking I'll probably want to stay the longest amount of time in NYC..

4. how are the roads in December? never been to America so will have no idea what to expect.. I'll be struggling to drive on the opposite side!

5. accommodation recommendations? in the big places such as LA, Las Vegas and NY I'll probably want to splurge that little bit extra, but other places I'm fine with budget (but nice, and safe) accommodation.

also please note I am a HUGE fan of Christmas so please feel free to point me in the direction of Christmassy things!

oh I should also ask, anyone have any suggestions on how much money to aim to save for this trip? I've done estimates of flights and accom and it added up to around 7 grand each... would 10 grand be enough?!

thank you :)

Andrea xxx

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

You realize it's almost 3000 miles, right? (4900 KM). It's over 40 hours of driving straight. Even if you did as much as 8 hours a day, that's 5 days of driving. This does not take into account any storms, snow or otherwise, that are possible in December. Fly to NYC.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

Your best bet would be to re-post this in the Road Trips forum, since you will cover so many states.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

With the short time span, maybe consider flying part of it.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 00:44
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

Try the Road Trip forum as suggested. There's no one answer to how the roads are - we're talking about crossing an entire continent during winter - some areas will be rainy, others snowy and icy. And, as was alluded to, with only 10 days, you have several days worth of driving which doesn't leave you that much time to spend in any places along the way. If it were me, I'd do 4 days in LA, fly to NY, and spend the last 5 there.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,546 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

I'm with Mach. December is winter here in the States. Besides, if you plan to spend 1/2 your time driving, where's the fun in that? Add to that, the drives will be on long, boring interstates (motorways). The best part of a road trip is when you get off the interstates and go exploring a little so consider driving around Southern California or even up to San Francisco and then, for your transcontinental trek, fly (5 hours!) and then, if you're a masochist, you can hire a car on the east coast but they get lots of snow and besides, you can't use it in New York City (use public transit) but you could drive north to the city of Boston (you know, where we Yanks threw all of that British tea overboard -- lots of 'living history' here) or south to Washington, DC -- our nation's capital which is a stunning city to visit.

Happy planning!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

Short days....long nights.....snow....ice....rain = fly.

Also, from you post, it appears you have no idea what a big, diverse country the United States is. I also suggest that before you make any plans (and you need to make many) you need to learn about the U.S. Good luck and have a blast with your research! Chuck.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

I did the reverse trip in about 12 days in the summer. The dramatic scenery is in the West and in California. The population density and number of tourist attractions falls off dramatically until you get to the East Coast. Take the previous recommendations and see California and then fly from California or Las Vegas to Washington DC, Boston, or New York.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

Because of weather conditions, it is best not to do this road trip. Why do you want to do this?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

The OP has already posted to the road trip forums, so I'm guessing they're not taking our advice and will continue on with their road trip.

9. Re: LA through to New York by rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17