We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

I really need some help on what my family and I should do as we want to visit Disneyland in January 2014. Which means we need to book our flights and accommodation very VERY soon. We are hopeless when it comes to planning but really want to do this.

We want to take my little sister to Disneyland as she is 5, and want her to experience it (I also want too! :D)

We are from Melbourne Australia

Time:12 days, in January 2014

The lists of things we want to do:

Disneyland

Universal studios

Food!

Shopping

San Diego Zoo

Maybe Sea World

Legoworld

... If anyone has any other ideas of places to go or what to do it would be much appreciated. Oh and some added information, we will not be renting out a car.

One of my main questions is...should we do Los Angeles first OR go to disneyland first? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

Will you have a car?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

I am currently planning a similar trip for later next year.

I am thinking of waiting a couple of days before DL as the flight is really long and tiring and you don't want to be walking around DL half asleep. Of course everyone reacts differently but I don't know how my kids (5, 4 and 2) will handle the long flight although they will probably be able to sleep all the way and it will be the adults who are half asleep.

I'll be watching with interest to see what others suggest.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

We're really thinking of getting a car but my mum is scared to drive, would it be a good idea?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

You need to get a hold of a map and grasp the distances involved. The major tourist sights you've listed are amusement parks. One, Universal Studios, is in LA. Disneyland is in Anaheim, which is in Orange County. Legoland and Sea World are in San Diego. LA and SD are about 120 miles apart and traverse three major metropolitan traffic zones. You should DL questions in the Anaheim forum. You should ask SD questions in the San Diego forum.

If all you plan on seeing in LA is Universal, I'd say skip LA. The park is targeted at teens and not children. That aside, there are tons of child-friendly places to visit in LA County.

Before selecting a hotel, you need to come up with an itinerary and a budget. Also, will you rent a car? That will enforce certain practicalities. With young children, I think it is mandatory.

So research your itinerary first. Tell us a bit more about your interests. What kinds of food? What kinds of shopping?

HTH

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

Generally, we recommend you stay in the city where you want to visit (rather than finding some central spot and commute back and forth). For example, most visitors like to spend 2 days at Disneyland; stay in Anaheim for that time.

But Hitch, above, is correct, Universal Studios is better for older children; there is much that will be missed for a 5 year old and, of course, someone has to wait with the 5 year old while others go on the ride (I've lived this scenerio, it is no fun).

I think your trip should focus on Anaheim and San Diego. Here are links to those forums:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60750-i41-San_Die…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29092-i65-Anaheim…

Happy planning!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

Agree, you might just want to stay in San Diego and perhaps Anaheim. Other theme parks you didn't mention would include Knott's Berry Farm, not far from Disneyland in Buena Park. There is train service between Anaheim and San Diego (www.amtrak.com) so if you aren't keen on driving that can help - I think Legoland in Carlsbad is the only place you mentioned that can't be reached pretty easily via public transit - Legoland is in Carlsbad, the train stops a few miles away in Oceanside.

7. Re: Help with 12 day itinerary for Los Angeles and Disneyland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:18