We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to WB studios

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Public transport to WB studios

Hi, we are staying at the Hollywood Travelodge on Nth Vermont. We are wanting to catch public transport up to WB for a tour. I have been on the Metro website and it is suggesting that I can catch the Redline 802 and then the 155 bus. It is suggesting that the arrival time would be 8.40am. I am wondering whether I would be able to make a WB Tour booking for 9.00am or would that be cutting it too fine and I would need to make at least a 9.15am booking, I do actually have access to a rental vehicle but we are wanting to do a LA City tour after this and was thinking that it might just be easier to catch public transport back to Hollywood and Highland and do our Movie Stars tour and then check out the Hollywood Museum.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to WB studios

Parking at Hollywood / Highland is cheap if you buy a cup of coffee in the shopping center there and get your parking ticket validated. If it were me I'd just drive.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to WB studios

Btw, no one refers to the trains by their numbers -- I don't even think the '802' is displayed anywhere on the train. It's just the red line.

I would not take that routing. Instead, take the red line metro rail train to Hollywood/Vine Station and transfer there to the Metro #222 eastbound on Hollywood Bl. You'll exit the red line station onto the sidewalk that faces Hollywood Bl. Turn left, walk to the corner of Vine St, cross to the southwest corner and meet the #222 bus there facing you on Hollywood Bl.

Take the #222 to the SE corner of Hollywood Way & Riverside Drive and then walk east on Riverside 2 blocks to the office building at 3400 Riverside Drive. (It will be just ahead on your right). Just before you reach the building, you'll see an intersecting road (Avon Street). Turn right onto Avon and walk around to the rear of the building. That is where you'll enter for the tour.

You will need to pass through airport-style security, then turn left upon entering the building and enter the gift shop. Once inside, turn right and walk to the far right corner where a clerk at the counter will assist you with your tour. WB recommends that you arrive AT the building at least 20 minutes before your tour commences since there can be a queue at the security machine and a queue at the counter. Add to that, it will take a few minutes to walk from the bus stop.

The red line + 222 routing can get you at the bus stop near WB at 8:25 (depart Vermont/Sunset at 7:59). You should be at the building, queuing up for security by 8:30. You could schedule a tour as early as 8:45 but I would make it 9:00 which will give you time to have some coffee, use the toilet and look over the gift shop (which you can do at the end of the tour as well). This will also give you a little extra room if the 222 bus is late.

Here's a map of the 'walking route' from the bus stop to the building. Be sure you are walking in the right direction when you leave the bus stop. Here's a 'walking map' that might be helpful:

http://mapq.st/185n3Ay

Let's look at it together....

The bus stop is on the SE corner of the intersection where "A" is located. Keep in mind that the bus will be heading north so it will arrive at point "A" from the south. When you get off the bus, you will turn right in order to follow the black line. You'll cross Olive Av and then turn right onto Avon St, making your way to the rear of the building.

With that said, if it were me, I'd drive. Here's a map of the route. Use the scroll bars to the left of the actual map to scroll to the top of the left-hand column to see the turn-by-turn directions. Mapquest.com estimates the drive at 15 minutes but it could take a little longer since there will be a little bit of 'rush hour' (most traffic will be heading INTO L.A. from Burbank, though, no OUT of L.A. to Burbank. To be safe, let's call the drive 25 minutes. You could leave your hotel at about the same time as if you were taking public transit and arrive at the tour center in time.

The parking area faces the REAR of the building at 3400 Riverside so you'd park there (south of Warner Bl) and cross the street to the security checkpoint. I believe parking is around $8, not much more than you'd pay using public transit.

You will have to pay for parking at the Hollywood & Highland Mall when you drive into Hollywood for your tour but the parking there is only $2 for the first 2 hours (if you have your parking ticket stamped by any vendor in the mall -- the candy store is one possibility or the 'coffee place' or 'ice cream place'. A purchase is required in order to be stamped.

Beyond 2 hours, the parking charge adds up pretty quickly at a rate of $1 for every 15 minutes (or $4 per hour). The celebrity homes tour is only 2 hours although you might have to wait for the next one a bit. After that, depending on how much strolling you want to do, you could end up paying, upwards of $8 for about 90 minutes of walking around which, imo, is not a big deal.

If you'd rather save your pennies you could return to the hotel, drop the car and take the red line to Hollywood & Highland (7 minutes / $1.50 per ride = $6 return) not that much cheaper than parking in Hollywood.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to WB studios

Thanks so much HopSkipJump for such a detailed reply. I think I will need to follow your advice regarding driving as I have contacted LA City Tours regarding booking a Movie Stars Tour but because I am using the GO LA Card I am unable to pre-book our seats. This will mean that I will have to drive from the Hotel into their offices to book our 1.30pm tour and then head out to WB for our tour. Can you give a suggestion as to how long it might take to get from the Hotel to their office at about 8.00am. Then from there I will head out to WB for our tour and then drop the car back off at the hotel and train it back to Hollywood and Highland as we will be possibly hanging around after the tour to check out the Hollywood museum. If I could also ask another question. If I was to do the Movie Star tour at 3.30 would the traffic be particularly bad and shorten the tour at all?? We have also got tickets to an LA Kings game that night and we will catching public transport to get there so we will probably just buy an all day pass. Any suggestions on what option would be best for us to get to the Staple Centre from our Hotel. I was assuming the Redline / Blueline combination.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 05:12
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to WB studios

As I recall, L.A. City Tours is just west of the southwest corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av. You can estimate 'drive times' using any of the mapping sites, like Mapquest.com. Hollywood isn't a huge commercial center as far as high rise office buildings are concerned so you won't find lots and lots of traffic on the way to the tour company. Here's the route from mapquest: http://mapq.st/1k0bN8G

The route (without traffic) takes 9 minutes. I'd add 5 minutes extra, just in case. Parking will be difficult so I would simply drop off your spouse and wait. You can park on the next block. Here's a map showing the tour company (marked "A") and a place you can pull over your car. (You might be able to park there but probably not; it's always crowded there so be sure to check the signs if you DO park as there are parking restrictions.

You can add, delete or change stops on this route by using the scroll bars to the left of the map itself and editing the area at the top of the left-hand column. Click 'add a stop' if you want to add more stops.

A 3:30 tour won't be shorter but it will have more traffic so the vN will move more slowly and, therefore, you'll see fewer homes. The route that the vans follow changes from day to day since there are more than 60 homes available to view but only enough time to show 60 homes, at most so based upon traffic and other considerations, the driver will select the optimal route.

The redline/blueline is the logical choice but be aware that it takes about the same amount of time to get off the red line at the transfer point (7th St/Metro Center station) and just walk south on Figueroa Street to Staples. This is because there's usually about a 5-minute layover at 7th St plus it takes about 2 minutes to walk from the Pico Bl (blue line) station to Staples. Walking from 7th St/Metro Center, meanwhile, takes about 11 minutes. Up to you. (Just be sure to exit to Figueroa St from 7th St/Metro Center; don't exit onto Flower St. There are signs on the arrival platform).

If you do decide to walk from 7th St/Metro Center, you'll also have more choices as far as dinner is concerned.

5. Re: Public transport to WB studios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:18