We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Hi All,

I've been obsessively reading forum posts and they've really helped with setting our plans for our time in LA, but I'm not sure where to stay at this point.

We're arriving at LAX around 10am on Thursday March 6th and then heading to San Diego on Sunday morning the 9th. While in LA, we'll be doing the science center/natural history museum, La Brea Tar Pits museum, Griffin Observatory, and 1 day at Universal. It will be 2 adults and an 11-year-old boy.

I've plotted all of them on Google maps and know how much driving/time it is from one to the other, but I'm struggling with where to stay.

I had found a great price at the Quality Inn Hermosa Beach, but I'm thinking that's maybe a bit too far out. I can get a 2 queen room there for $118 a night including tax and that includes free wifi, free parking, continental breakfast and a small hot tub outside.

Is there anywhere that would be more centrally located that you would recommend in the $100-150 range. We don't need fancy as we won't be in the room much except to sleep, so we're fine with motel style rooms as long as it's in a safe area for our son. We will have a rental car, so prefer free parking. We definitely need free internet access as I have to work while there, and would prefer 2 queens, but could live with 2 doubles. Continental breakfast would be great too, but not an absolute requirement.

Any ideas? Or should I stick with the Hermosa Beach one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll also need a super cheap LAX hotel for our last night (basically a place to sleep before we leave for the airport at 7am the following Thursday), so if you have any ideas for that too, would love to hear them.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
Kimpton Everly Hotel
Kimpton Everly Hotel
#1 of 356 hotels in Los Angeles
Magic Castle Hotel
Magic Castle Hotel
#3 of 356 hotels in Los Angeles
Sunset Tower Hotel
Sunset Tower Hotel
#1 of 19 hotels in West Hollywood
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,077 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

With what you want to see and it being March, Hermosa Beach would not be my first choice.

Here is what I said in a topic yesterday about inexpensive hotels in the Hollywood area.

Here are the budget hotels of Hollywood: The Days Inn Hollywood, Motel 6, Rodeway Inn, Comfort Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Quality Inn,Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Hollywood Orchid Suites.

More in the eastern end of Hollywood, but are close to subway stations are the Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, Corals Sand Motel and The Dixie Hollywood Hotel.

I'd rather be in West Hollywood than Hollywood usually, but I think you'll find better prices in Hollywood.

Near LAX do not go simply based on price, that will put you in a bad location. You do not want to wind up east of the 405 Freeway. Check the Four Points, Sheraton and Crowne Plaza.

Mentioned in this post
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
177 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Hollywood Walk of Fame
13,927 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Celebrity Hotel
2,233 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Orchid Suites
Hollywood Orchid Suites
2,329 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset
Travelodge...
1,222 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Dixie Hollywood
The Dixie Hollywood
758 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Near LAX check the Hacienda, and the Travelodge.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Thank you so much! These give me some great places to start. Really appreciate it!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Hermosa Beach is a great location for a summer trip where you want a lot of beach time. It is poorly located for the things you listed. So is the area around LAX.

Another area that would be well located for you is the area around Farmers Market/The Grove. I don't know any of the hotels around there, but a quirky sounding place that is often recommended here is called Farmers Daughter.

Mentioned in this post
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
The Grove
The Grove
2,091 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Farmer's Daughter Hotel
Farmer's Daughter Hotel
1,118 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Scott gives a good recap of the hotels in Hollywood and I'll talk about a few of those in a moment but I'll make some other recommendations that might work especially well, given your itinerary:

Stay in downtown L.A. There are a couple of advantages for doing so:

a. There are a lot more 3 and 4-star hotels (non-motel-type) than in Hollywood so although you've said that you're fine with a motel, why not stay somewhere a little nicer if it's in your price range.

b. Downtown has excellent public transit access to the sites of your itinerary so if you should decide to leave the car at the hotel on certain days or do without it altogether, you could do so easily if you stayed in downtown. There's an express bus between downtown and LAX that leaves every 30 minutes ($10 per person).

Okay, let's take a look at some options for your particular dates -- in downtown and elsewhere...

IN DOWNTOWN L.A.:

1. The 3-star Figueroa Hotel is being offered by Otel.com for $143 for a double with an extra bed. Parking is $12/night. This is a very unusual place in terms of decor. Check out their website:

www.figueroahotel.com/about-the-hotel/inner/

From the hotel, you can take either the Expo Line (Light Rail) to the California Science Center -- an 11 minute ride -- or the Metro 81 bus (10 minutes). (The Light Rail runs more frequently but the station is a little further away from the hotel than the bus stop for the 81), For the La Brea Tar Pits, it's a 24-minute ride on the 728 Metro Rapid bus that pulls up at the corner.

2. The 3-1/2-star "L.A. Hotel Downtown" (<-- that's the name of the hotel) is offering a triple room for $159. Parking is $35 per night but you can park across the street in the World Trade Center lot overnight for a fraction of that amount (you must move the car in the morning, however). The La Brea Tar Pits are about 30 minutes away via Purple Line metro rail followed by a ride on the rapid 720 bus along Wilshire Bl. Universal can be reached via the red line metro rail (as can the Observatory using the free shuttle -- available only on weekends -- from the Sunset/Vermont station) and the California Science Center can be reached in 16 minutes via the 50-cent DASH F bus or in 11 minutes using the Expo Line light rail (runs less often than the DASH and the station is further from the hotel than the DASH's bus stop).

So, from this hotel, for example, you can reach all of your destinations without a car. The DASH bus's fare is 50-cents. The metro bus's fare is $1.50 or you can buy a $5 DAY PASS (good on all Metro buses and metro rail -- NOT good on the 50-cent DASH buses). You'll save on car rental, parking and gas. (Parking at Universal is $15; parking at the California Science Center is $10 ; parking at the La Brea Tar Pits is $9; Griffith Observatory parking is free). So, that's a saving of $34 in parking at attractions plus 3 days of car rental ($100+?) plus parking at the hotel ($10-$20 in most places) plus gas -- upwards of $180. Meanwhile, a taxi from LAX to downtown is just $48 and you stay in a place that's better than a motel. With the money saved, you could take taxis to the attractions which saves time when compared to driving. For example, it takes about 30 minutes to line up at the entrance to the parking area for Universal, pay for parking, look for a space and then either walk to the Studios (which involves walking the entire length of Universal City Walk Mall) or wait for the free tram which stops all over the parking area. What a waste of time! A taxi, meanwhile, will drop you at the entrance to the Studios.

IN HOLLYWOOD:

1. The highly-rated 2-star Hollywood Celebrity Hotel offers similar accommodations to the Orchid Suites for a few dollars cheaper. $10/day overnight parking.

2. Coral Sands -- basic 2-star motel type property. BEST VALUE at $86 per night. In the eastern part of Hollywood (a few minutes by car, bus or metro rail to the center of the neighborhood).

IN BEVERLY GROVE (southwest of Hollywood and just east of Beverly Hills -- a very central neighborhood in Los Angeles):

1. One of my favorite 2-1/2 star hotels, the Wilshire Crest. This hotel is a 'step up' from a motel but still is very affordable. Expedia.com is offering the dual full-size bed room for $169. This includes breakfast, wi-fi and parking. Parking is free since you park on the street (the hotel issues permits to park in this 'permit parking only' zone). Quiet, residential area, non-touristy but a few minutes' drive (or 15 minute walk) to the Farmers Market/the Grove (great for dinner/shopping). You can walk to the La Brea Tar Pits from the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hotel Figueroa
Hotel Figueroa
5 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
California Science Center
California Science Center
3,444 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The L.A. Grand Hotel Downtown
The L.A. Grand Hotel...
1,255 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Wilshire Motel
Wilshire Motel
106 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Observatory
The Observatory
22 Reviews
Santa Ana, CA
Griffith Observatory
Griffith Observatory
16,542 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
2,233 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Coral Sands Motel
Coral Sands Motel
1,068 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Wilshire Crest Hotel
Wilshire Crest Hotel
425 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,091 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

Wow, thanks for all this info!

Unfortunately doing without the car is not possible as we're going to other locations after the initial days in LA and I've already booked a wonderful price for a full week rental through my credit card company.

I will definitely check these all out as well. Thanks again!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

I like HSJ's idea of Wilshire Crest Hotel. Great location. Close to the Farmers Daughter, mentioned above.

Consider visiting the LACounty Art Museum and/or Petersen Auto Museum, as well as having a meal at Farmers Market. All near the Tar Pits.

Downtown has its charms, I guess, but I think a family with a car might like a less hectic location, out of the snarl of freeways, crowded avenues and challenging traffic in and out of downtown. I live fairly near downtown and my blood pressure goes up every time I need to drive there.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 22:36
Mentioned in this post
Wilshire Crest Hotel
Wilshire Crest Hotel
425 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Farmer's Daughter Hotel
Farmer's Daughter Hotel
1,118 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
8. Re: Itinerary Mosty Set, Need Suggestions on Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18