We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

I'm in the early stages of planning a possible trip in March for 8 to 10 nights. I don't have a great deal of money so have been looking at budget accommodation as long as its reasonably near a metrorail stop. I won't be using a car and I realise some of the distances are long though not too bothered about commutting as I generally start early on holiday. I also feel I have enough street smarts in areas a bit sketchy as long as they aren't desperate, I won't be lingering though could be back late at night.

The following hotels are the sort of places I want but getting mixed reviews about area safety, I wonder if anyone that lives nearby could be more specific about where these hotels are :

Tower Motel Long Beach

Golden West Manor Motel

Travelodge Burbank Glendale

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,698 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

Definitely not Golden West Manor Motel and not the Tower Motel Long Beach, both are in what I'd consider bad areas.

The Travelodge Burbank Glendale is in a fine neighborhood, but it is no where near a subway station. The nearest one is over 2 miles away.

Did you look at the Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, Corals Sand Motel and The Dixie Hollywood Hotel in the eastern end of Hollywood? They are not only close to subway stations, but they are in areas where you can walk to some sights and it is a pretty central area.

Other budget hotels in Hollywood are the Rodeway Inn, Days Inn Hollywood, Motel 6, Comfort Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Quality Inn Hollywood.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,680 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

If you provide a nightly budget in dollars, that will help. Worry not, the good folks on this forum won't send you to a bad neighborhood!

Would you consider hostels? We had a visitor recently, female with a child, who really enjoyed staying at the Santa Monica Hostel; you can even get a private room if you can afford:

http://tinyurl.com/ljl7woo

There are other hostels with better transit options in Hollywood. Banana Bungalows is one that I recall reading a good trip report about. No first hand knowledge, please read reviews.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,752 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

All terrible locations.

What is your budget per night?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

If you can afford them, any of the choices mentioned by Scott above would be far better than those that you listed. Generally its not worth staying on the outskirts of LA to save money - if you are willing to accept a basic type of place then you can stay in the central area, near public transit, for little or no more money. But if you can let us know your specific budget and the specific dates in March that you are considering, we can give you some more specific suggestions within your budget.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

I can also vouch for Coral Sands Motel - just came back from there 3 weeks ago & even though I had a car, I thought it was situated great even if I didn't have one. We were there for <$100/nt. Directly across the street from Hollywood/Western metro, with good coffee and Thai just a couple of blocks away.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

Hi, Derek

Do you have specific travel dates, yet? If so, what are they? Again, what is your budget per night for accommodations? How will you transfer from the airport to your hotel?

What specific sties will you be visiting? Is Disneyland one of them? If so, do you plan to visit there for more than one day?

If you haven't already done so, look at the TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page (visible only with a computer -- not with a handheld device. If you have the latter, here's a link to similar content): (link and scroll down for the content)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

Thank you. Reading the reviews of the hotels I listed they sounded fine apart from the areas they are in. I've looked at Hollywood and Downtown LA (anything there apart from the notorious Cecil ?) sometimes too you read about unsafe areas in these places in the reviews though usually less its true. I'm not against hostels but I would like a private room, Santa Monica seems a bit isolated as a base I believe its about an hour on the bus and no Metrorail stations. As for a budget probably I'd be looking at around $75 a night though maybe a bit more if I cut my time to 8 nights. I might be able to go a package including the Coral Sands in Hollywood though the rest in that area so far I'm struggling to afford, maybe the cost of flights will go down before I book ?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

Just saw your message. Not absolutely sure on dates. I'll be transferring from the airport by public transport. I know its about a two hour journey but I have been to LA before though it was about 14 years ago. From what I've read so far public transport has improved a bit since then with the building of more metrorail lines.

As for plans for my visit : well I've just started really thinking about it but I love movies so the sights around Hollywood possibly one of the studio tours maybe Paramount which i believe I could walk to in Hollywood. Universal possibly but I'm not big on theme parks (so no Disneyland) more likely to spend some time in Downtown LA, get the bus to Santa Monica and to the Miracle Mile museums, possibly through a combination of metrorail and walking the Huntingdon Library and Norton Simon, although its a long way I believe a day in Long Beach would be achievable using the Metrorail - those are a few of the ideas I have.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 19:00
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

I've found maybe another hotel which is slightly cheaper than the Coral Sands but the reviews aren't as good.

How is the area around the Dunes Inn Wilshire ? Location looks ok just 15 minute walk to Metrorail station.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA Vacation in March - safety of possible hotels and areas

Have you found the section on Trip Advisor that has online hotel reviews? The reviews will often discuss the neighborhood around the hotel.

Using the link below, find the 'neighborhoods' drop-down menu and select "Hollywood" (and/or whichever other neighborhoods you're interested in). Then select your travel dates (just above the neighborhood drop-down menu). You can also filter out price. The list is in order of 'traveler preference' -- the first in the list is 'most preferred' and so on.

tripadvisor.com/…-1

Using the link above for the dates 10 Mar to 18 Mar, the top 3 are (prices do not include 15% room tax):

1. The Coral Sands at $73/night -- 2-stars

2. The Hollywood Hotel for $108/night -- 3-stars

3. Travelodge Hollywood - Vermont / Sunset for $76 per night -- 2 stars

As far as the Dunes Inn Wilshire, it's in the middle of nowhere -- nothing to walk to. If you had a car, it wouldn't be too bad but without one, it's not a convenient place to stay. I'd stay at the Coral Sands before I'd stay at the Dunes. Here are reviews for the hotel -- the hotel is ranked 197 out of 312 hotels in L.A. Compare that to the Coral Sands which is ranked 68 out of 312.

(Link and Scroll down for reviews)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77717-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d133994-…