We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to stay around LA...

Hoover, Alabama...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas to stay around LA...

I know that is a very broad question.....We are coming Jan. 1-7...going to see Auburn play in National championship game.....we are pretty well traveled and would like some advice on places to stay. The team is staying in Newport Beach at the Fairmont.....we can't get in there. How is the Hyatt regency or radison.....

What are some of the better areas for families....Newport beach, Santa Monica??...How do those areas compare? Other suggestions?.....We'll have 4 days on our own to see the area and entertain my 15 year old son.....we'll likely trek to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara for Reagan Library but want a good place to base all this.....clean, safe, great restaurants.....we are very flexible. Prefer to stay in the $300 or less range for hotels, if possible. I'm thinking outside of downtown LA because we'd rather drive a ways and spend the morning or afternoon sight seeing but then have a great area to come home to and have dinner.

I know these are very broad questions...I kind of know what I want to do once there but want a nice area to base our stay.....thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

Well, Newport Beach is a good place to stay, as all the events related to the BCS other than the actual game will be held there.

Plenty of things to see and do in the Orange County area.

www.visittheoc.com

Of course, you could plan a day or two trip to the main city of Los Angeles.

If Newport Beach is full or over priced, check out the Hyatt and Hilton in Huntington Beach.

www.surfcityusa.com

FYI, there are two Presidential Libraries in California, the Richard Nixon Library in Yorba Linda near Newport Beach in Orange County, and the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley (Ventura County), and not near Santa Barbara.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 04:57
Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
California
California
United States
Ventura
Ventura
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,376 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

Here is the link to the Orange County TripAdvisor forum for things to do, restaurants, etc.:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659482-i12177-Ora…

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

Oops, first Reagan Library is in Simi Valley, just outside of Moorpark. Its not in Santa Barbara.

In any case, I suggest taking a look at a map if you haven't already. Here's one showing the places that you've mentioned:

http://goo.gl/maps/cQIUK

Note the scale of the map, and remember that most of this driving will occur through the major traffic zones of LA and Orange County - a 30 mile drive will take a lot longer than you might be thinking it will, especially at the wrong times of the day.

The places you've mentioned are spread out. The Reagan Library is a geographical outlier compared to most of the other popular LA attractions - its worth going to but its a drive of 40 miles or so from central LA. Newport Baech is also a geographic outlier compared to most of the other LA area attractions. And, its in the opposite direction versus the Reagan Library, so the drive between the two of then is around 85 miles, again all through LA and OC's legendary traffic.

So while there's something to be said for staying near the team, especially for a rare event like its participation in the BCS title game, it will put you far from most everything else. If it were me, I'd look in Santa Monica which has the beach but is generally much more central, or in downtown LA itself as that's really the jumping off point to get into Pasadena at this time without driving yourself (and it can be a zoo in Pasadena for the BCS). But I'd book quickly - Santa Monica is often sold as part of game packages so the hotels there may be booking up quick. Its a pricey area but January is generally low season in SM - but the game may be driving up room prices. If not those areas, somewhere else central like West Hollywood would be a good choice so long as you have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

If you opt to stay in the Newport Beach area, there will be special charter bus service to the game for a fee, and I wouldn't want to drive and deal with parking. Ride the bus with fellow fans.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,920 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

I'm not sure why the team is staying an hour from LA, but if you want to be near them, then stay in Newport and expect to drive a LOT.

I recommend looking into Loews Hotel in Santa Monica, or the JW Marriot Le Merigot. Also look into The Shore and the Fairmont in Santa Monica. Santa Monica is filled with restaurants, cafes, shopping, the Pier, lots to do when you get back to your hotel, and just relax walking around the area.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

The BCS has opted to pick Newport Beach as Host City for a couple of reasons. First off, Pasadena didn't want to host to events back to back due to multiple issues. Second off, the BCS wanted a different experience for the BCS game as compared to the New Years Day game. Last time the BCS Championship Game was held at the Rose Bowl Stadium in 2010, Newport Beach was the Host City and the BCS was very happy with them.

Here is a news article talking about the decision...

ocregister.com/articles/beach-526316-newport…

>>Fashion Island is more than 50 miles and an hour’s drive from the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. But that city couldn’t handle the crowds of the BCS title game, only five days after the 100th Rose Bowl game. Los Angeles, meanwhile, didn’t impress Rose Bowl organizers the way Newport Beach did.

“The Greater Los Angeles Area looked rather small by comparison,” Libby Wright, chairwoman of the Rose Bowl Management Committee, told supporters last week during a dinner in the Marriott Hotel & Spa at Fashion Island.<<

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Rose Bowl Stadium
Rose Bowl Stadium
604 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Fashion Island
Fashion Island
535 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,761 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

Yes very broad questions.

The 15 year old son would probably like Newport Beach and Santa Monica over Downtown LA, but Downtown LA is probably the best location to be central and then be able to use the Gold Line to get to the game.

I would not stay at the Radisson in Newport Beach, lovely hotel that it is, it is a business hotel, as is the Fairmont, in heavy business area near John Wayne Airport. The Hyatt Regency Newport Beach or Marriott Newport Beach at Fashion Island would be much better hotels and close to great dining and shopping. But staying in Newport would mean a lot of driving.

Santa Monica has great hotels at the beach too, lots of great shopping and dining as well and is obviously closer to Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

There is something to be said for staying near the team, in the past when teams have come in for the Rose Bowl, BCS or Super Bowl, there is usually activity at the hotel, maybe a fan shop and since both teams are in Newport, maybe a battle of the bands. I'd find out what the schedule is for the team and what events you might like to be a part of.

Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica can be a day trip from Newport. Hollywood and Beverly Hills are both maybe two hour activities.

On the flip side, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach can be a day trip from Santa Monica.

No plans for Disneyland? Do you know if the teams or bands are doing a day in Disneyland? That is standard fare during the Rose Bowl that each team has a day in the park and the bands do a pep rally at the train station on Main Street USA. So again, I'd check and see what other activities are. Typically there is a luncheon that happens with both teams in attendance, not sure if the BCS does that or not.

Bottom line is you have to take the information here, find more information and then decide what is going to work best for you.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Fashion Island
Fashion Island
535 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Main Street
Main Street
683 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
United States
United States
North America
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,040 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

The Greater Los Angeles Area looked rather small by comparison,”

When the BCS persons refers to the Greater Los Angeles area,which area is that exactly ? I wonder

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

The BCS is demonstrating that its (in)ability to consistently match up the two best teams every year is exceeded only by its (lack of) prowess as travel agents. Whatever their reasons, they aren't doing anyone who wants to see LA any favors by organizing Newport Beach as a base. Anyone who can understand a map can understand that. The BCS is about making money, and its a safe bet that whatever Newport Beach did to 'impress' the BCS folks, it had a lot more to do with how much money the BCS and its backers stood to make off of the whole affair, rather than anything related to the fan experience.

If you want to be near the team and for you that has a high degree of priority over being conveniently located for seeing the other spots in and around LA that you mentioned, then you should stay in Newport Beach. Otherwise, somewhere like Santa Monica is a much better choice - beach, much more central and there will in all likelihood be lots of fans of your team staying at hotels in that area as well.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
10. Re: Best areas to stay around LA...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:17