We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In LA from Jan 09-13

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
In LA from Jan 09-13

My husband and I are going to LA in January. We just booked at the Best Western Plus Suites in Inglewood. We were debating staying at a Best Western in Hollywood but after considering renting a car and paying for parking in the Hollywood BW locations we decided to stay in Inglewood since parking is free. We want to do some of the tourist things and see some sights. We are thinking about doing the Grand Tour of LA and maybe the stars home tour through Starline tours. What does anyone think of this company? Is the star homes tour worth it? What about the TMZ tour is that a better option? My husband also wants to take a drive down to Orange County to see Now and Then Thrift Store(Brandi and Jarrod's store from Storage Wars). Has anyone been there and what are the chances that Brandi and Jarrod will be there? Is there anything else to do in that area? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Inglewood
Inglewood
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

I have been to Now and Then, on Tustin Avenue in Orange, just after they expanded their store a few years ago. The odds of finding Brandi and/or Jarrod are very slim. They might be in the back, but they don't work the front of the store.

Nearby are Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, the Richard Nixon Presidential Library in Yorba Linda, Old Towne Orange, famous for its TV/Movie Filming (Kept Old School), also lots of Antique stores in the area, plus Chapman University.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
Yorba Linda
Yorba Linda
Orange County, CA
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

Whoa! Bad decision. You don't want to stay in Inglewood. You're adjacent to the freeway and in the flight path. There's a reason why it is cheap and offers free parking. Oh, yeah, Inglewood isn't a safe part of town. There is no reason to stay near LAX unless you're planning on catching an early morning flight or getting off an international flight.

This is where you husband steps up and says, "Honey, i won't let you stay in a dump in a dangerous place just because they offer free parking. I love you too much to let that happen." So up your hotel budget and bite the bullet on paying for parking. By the by, what is your hotel budget? Before booking a hotel, you need to come up with an itinerary and a budget.

Starline is a perfectly reputable tour company. There's a great debate about the star homes tour. Someone will post a link to the merits of it. There's a couple I think. Personally, I think it is a waste of time. But, it has no appeal to me. My understanding is the TMZ tour is a little more sensational (in TMZ style).

If you want to drive down to Orange County, you might want to come up with more of a plan. Simply staying there might make more sense. You'd certainly avoid an hour each way on the freeway. You'd definitely be closer to the Nixon Library. Yes, your chances of meeting those celebrities is slim to none.

I'd suggest if you're looking for Hollywood glitz, check out the Grammy Museum at LA Live.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

HTH

Mentioned in this post
Inglewood
Inglewood
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
The Grammy Museum
The Grammy Museum
766 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

The TMZ Tour is a basic Starline Double Decker Tour with a different commentary. It is not the Stars Home Tour, which has to be in smaller van sized vehicles to get through. The TMZ stays on the main streets in the area, and does not go into the Hills.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d21…

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

Hi, Susana

You're spending thousands of dollars to fly here, hire a car, pay for attractions, pay for meals, petrol, 'eating out', tips, etc, etc. $10 to $20 per night for parking is a small price to pay by comparison. Add to that. if you stay at the airport, you'll waste time and petrol drying between the city and the airport, each day.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,919 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

I will echo what others have said, don't stay near LAX, It is a penny wise and pound foolish idea. You'll just waste time and gas staying there.

The odds of seeing Brandi or Jarrod are remote. I am not sure I'd drive from LA for the day on the chance of seeing them. There is also not much near their store other than maybe the Orange Circle (Chapman & Glassell St) and seeing the antique stores there and some of the restaurants,

What interests do you have besides Now & Then?

Starline is a very good, reputable company.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,068 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

Change your hotel - do not stay in Inglewood!

Mentioned in this post
Inglewood
Inglewood
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

I would take a drive to Orange County from LA for a day, sure! We planned a trip to Oahu to see LOST film sites! It's your vacation and your fun - go find Brandi and Jarrod!

With a rental car, there is little reason to go on a Starline tour, but again, if you want the commentary, at least you won't have to drive. I do recommend you take a leisurely drive up Pacific Coast Highway all the way through Malibu. The drive is beautiful, its a nice couples thing to do, too. When it's time to turn around (Pt. Mugu is a great place to turn), you'll be on the ocean side, so you can stop often for walks on the beach or photo ops. Stop at Duke's for a late lunch or early dinner; it is right on the water and is a Hawaiian themed restaurant. Excellent fish dishes and very friendly atmosphere. If you like celebrity searching, the Malibu Country Mart is a good place to stop and people watch. In January, you may be able to see the California Grey Whales migrating down the coast. Many overlooks in Malibu would be good for this and if you have binocs, bring them along.

Oh, yes - don't stay in Inglewood. Please.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 15:53
Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Malibu
Malibu
California
Inglewood
Inglewood
California
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

Susana,

Welcome to the LA Forum. What is your budget for lodgings? There are places that members here can suggest if they know your price range to begin with.

Where the hotel is located in inglewood city limits is not that bad, near Culver City and Westchester, it's over by the Howard Hughs Parkway, where there is a Nordstrom Rack and Promande Theaters where I go to with no worry, and it is near the 405 freeway, if you are driving places. It is not under the flight path, or near the Forum or HS where the area gets dodgy. It doesn't look like much from the outside, and they have gated parking..

That said, there are better places to be located for your trip to LA. Please come baxk to us and let us help you find something.

Mentioned in this post
Culver City
Culver City
California
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

Don't you just love the knee jerk reactions when anyone says "Inglewood", rather than looking at the actual location? Some cities here have rather bizarre boundaries (Culver City is one of the strangest).

There are parts of Santa Monica that are worse than where you have booked.

That said, I probably would have posted your budget here before booking, to get some recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Inglewood
Inglewood
California
Culver City
Culver City
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In LA from Jan 09-13

You mean like you did with Downtown, mlgb?