We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

Hi travel gurus,

Sorry for cross posting, I feel like I did not form a good question after reading your replies. So I reform it here. Thanks for your help again!

I am traveling from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City on Dec 24th. We have to return the car at 3 pm on that day, so I guess we will depart early on 8 am. Google Map told me that it will takes 6hrs 15mins for this trip. But since it is on CRAZY Dec 24th when everybody is rushing home, I want to double check the feasibility of getting back to San Francisco within 7 - 8 hours. We will not stop on the road EXCEPT FOR gas or a fast food stop!

Thanks

Allen

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

It's too bad you deleted your prior post as PNWF gave some good info and had some follow-up questions. In the future, just add on additional information by replying to the post. Lots of other people read these threads so the additional information benefits everyone.

What route do you plan to take: I5 or Highway 101? In winter there can be tule (pronounced too-lea) fog which can slow traffic down to a crawl (and make for dangerous driving as well -- it's impossible to see even one car's length ahead). Also if you hit a storm going over the grapevine, I5 can be slow or even shut. But I5 on a normal day is faster than 101.

Since you're dropping the car in SF (not SFO), I'd add another 30-60 minutes to Google's estimate based on traffic in and around downtown SF.

I have not driven it on Christmas Eve but I'd get an earlier start. Especially if the car turns into a pumpkin (or you have to pay an extra day) at 3PM.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,630 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

I am perplexed why you deleted your previous post too. Ovee a typo for am to pm??? You got some good info. It's too hard for me to tap out my response again on the phone.

Leave early than 8am or fly would be my advice.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 21:37
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

You've read my remarks from your other post. They still apply

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

I'd be on the road by 6 AM. I don't think I've driven I-5 on Christmas Eve, but I have driven it on Christmas, and the traffic was surprisingly heavy.

Minneapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

Ooop! I am new to TripAdvisor forum so sorry for breaking the rules. As you said in previous post, I had a typo, writing 8am to 8pm. I tried to fix it but then found no way to edit my post after 5 mins of the first publishing. I thought this typo is so important that will make future reader confused, so I deleted it. I will definitely correct my mistakes in the same post next time! (Just not get used to TripAdvisor since in other forum Q&A community I used, such as StackOverFlow, even other people could edit the post to make it more informative or fix the typo.)

Thanks for your suggestions and the true story of tule! It seems there is high risk getting back to SF within 7 hours. I will try to extend my car rental reservation or change my drop-off location.

Thanks again.

Allen

Edited: 14 December 2013, 23:53
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,630 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

No problems Allen. We were all newbies at one point. Extending your rental is a great plan. Safe travels and hope none of my I-5 experiences apply to you. If you don't get a chance to eat In n Out burger in SoCal, the one off I-5 ? near Kettlemen City is my usual stop. (Typing as I hold a juicy In n Out cheeseburger) :p

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

You won't make it to SF by 3 pm if you leave Anaheim at 8 am.

You will have heavy commute and holiday traffic getting through LA, as well as heavy holiday traffic on I-5. As mentioned, there can be heavy fog in the San Joaquin Valley as you descend from the Grapevine portion of I-5.

Be sure to check weather conditions before setting off. IF a major storm is passing through that day, I would take Highway 101 instead or you could end up snowed in on the mountain pass.

Minneapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

Sounds good. Thanks chinita415 for your pit-stop suggestions and thanks Kibbles09 for your advice in case on bad weather. I have changed my drop off place and also extended hours. Hopefully, I could get back to SF in the same day!!

9. Re: 7-8 hours from Disneyland Anaheim to San Francisco City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:18