We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be visiting the Los Angeles/Hollywood area in May of 2014. We are most likely going to fly into San Diego and spend two days there and then head to L.A. We will spend 4 days somewhere in this vicinity. It doesn’t necessarily have to be directly in L.A, I would like somewhere close to the places that we want to see, and then we will eventually head to Vegas for 3 days.

I am trying to find a nice/safe hotel that will fit in our budget of approximately $100 – $150 at most. We won’t be in the hotel that much as we would like to see a lot of different things. Here is just a sample itinerary of what we would like to do.

Friday – Arrive in San Diego

Sat – San Diego – Staying in San Diego

Sun – Laguna Beach – then headed to L.A area

Mon – Hike to the back of the Hollywood sign, see Rodeo Drive, walk of fame, Beverly Hills etc…

Tues – Santa Monica Pier, Venice and a hike in Malibu

Wednesday – Griffith Observatory, Sunset Strip and maybe a tour

Thursday – we will head to Disney and spend the night in Anaheim

Friday – Head to Las Vegas.

Yes, I will need a vacation from my vacation when I am done. 

My main goal is to find something close to these areas without going way over budget on our hotel. As you can see we won’t be spending lots of time in our hotel, but want to be in a safe area with restaurants and shopping close by.

Any help would be appreciated.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help

Park Plaza Lodge, Wilshire Motel, Hilgard House, The Wilshire Crest

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help

I was going to rec the Park Plaza and the Wilshire Crest as well. Also, look at the Hollywood Hotel (<- that's the name of the hotel. It's at 1160 N. Vermont Av). Do not confuse it with the "Hotel Hollywood" on Cahuenga Bl!

I assume you will have a car so expect to pay for parking at the hotel (almost all hotels charge for this -- about $10 in this range of hotels). There's also 'room tax' of 15.3% added to room rates so a limit of $100 per night (including parking) isn't going to buy you much. Unlike Florida, Anaheim and Las Vegas, Los Angeles is expensive. I'd raise your budget a little if you want to maintain hotel quality.

I'm wondering why you're visiting Anaheim after your visit to Los Angeles since you will pass through Anaheim on the way to L.A. from San Diego. It seems like some unnecessary backtracking. Here's a map of your cities and the hotels you've mentioned (except Las Vegas which is northeast -- off the map). Note that Anaheim ("B" on the map) is 'on the way' to Los Angeles from San Diego and also that your travel destinations are far apart from one another so there's no single hotel that close to it all:

http://mapq.st/1bLi1UV

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help

Thank you for the map outline. You're right about backtracking and I will adjust my schedule to fit Anaheim in earlier in the week. I was also toying around with the map and thought maybe Redondo Beach wasn't to far away from the activities we want to do/see. Is this a decent area? I don't have to stay in L.A. There were also cheaper hotels in the Torrance area, but I don't know anything about this area either. Yes, we will have a car.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help

Redondo Beach (for the most part) is a fine place to stay. Torrance has good parts and bad parts. But the big issue is: TRAFFIC. Yes, you'll save a little if you stay outside of the city of L.A. but you'll also sit in traffic. That bend in the 405 freeway near Redondo Beach is known as 'the southbay curve' and it's often packed with traffic -- even during non-rush hour periods.

If it were me, I'd try to stay a little bit more 'in the center' of our metro area -- pretty much within the range of hotels on the map above. You will have spent time in Laguna and in Santa Monica -- both beach areas facing the same ocean. So, I'm not seeing the real need to stay at Redondo Beach but, that's up to you, of course. If you're driven to stay 'at the beach', you might look at the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach (but that's still too far away, imo) or perhaps, in one of the inland ('away from the beach') hotels in Santa Monica like the Best Western Gateway or the Comfort Inn Santa Monica.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help

If you are interested in a LA beach town, and stay at the Sea View Inn mentioned above, in Manhattan Beach, you don't take the 405 Freeway to visit Santa Monica and Venice. Instead you start out on Highland Ave where the hotel is, it turns into Vista del Mar and goes along the beach. You'll see airplanes taking off above you over the ocean, before turning in at Playa del Rey, etc. Nice drive.

http://mapq.st/19a9pgv

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help

Deena, you seem more focused on the cost of the hotel/motel than on the sights you want to see.

Two of your three days are in what I would call the core of LA and the suggestions in the first two posts gave you good hotels in that area.

I'd only stay in Redondo Beach if there are things you want to see/do in Redondo, otherwise you are putting yourself in a an area that will have a lot of traffic between you and the sights you want to see, ditto for Torrance and Torrance doesn't have the advantages of Redondo.

The Sea View Inn is a great option as CA native says, but that is if you want to be by the beach. That makes Santa Monica and Venice closer, but you'll still hit traffic on the two days you head into Hollywood, etc.

Remember that in Los Angeles, distance is never as important as time (meaning traffic). You do not want to be any further south than Manhattan Beach to avoid some of the worst of the traffic in the area. Unless the beach is a priority, I'd stick with the area around The Grove & Farmer's Market.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help

I don’t necessarily have to stay by the beach. I am open to staying anywhere around the action that is safe and enjoyable. The first few motels that someone had posted looked kind of “iffy” to me, so I was throwing other options out there that perhaps were easier on my wallet, but it looks like I have no other solution than to up my budget for a hotel.

Thanks for all your help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help

Welcome to the forums Deena S,

Be sure to also post in the Anaheim forum since you are planning on spending part of your trip there. We can help you find somewhere good to stay. Your budget should be a little more doable for Anaheim which is usually a less expensive place to stay vs LA. But, yes, for the LA part of your trip, your going to have to up your budget.

And dont forget to also post in the San Diego forum :)

Edited: 17 December 2013, 16:47
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help

Not sure what sites you are looking at, but for the price, The Park Plaza Lodge is a great location and area. Yes the hotel could use updating, sprucing up or what ever euphemism you want to use, but I would much rather stay there to explore LA and the area than Redondo Beach or Torrance.

Happy is right, if you split between Anaheim and LA, you can get cheaper rooms in Anaheim and use that money to up your budget in LA, but to get the nicer places in the area where the sights are you want to see, you might need to spend a bit more.

Here is my list of moderate and budget places in Hollywood that I usually recommend.

Moderate

Holiday Inn Express Hollywood, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, Magic Castle Suites, Orchid Suites, The BLVD, and Best Western Hollywood Plaza.

Budget

Days Inn Hollywood, Comfort Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Quality Inn, Motel 6, Rodeway Inn, Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Hollywood Orchid Suites.

Also the Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, Corals Sand Motel and The Dixie Hollywood Hotel in the eastern end of Hollywood.

Given a choice between a budget hotel in Hollywood and a budget hotel in The Grove area (where the first two posts were recommending hotels), I'd choose the Grove area every time, but at least you can look at these other hotels and compare.

10. Re: Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:19