We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone/Single traveller?

London, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Lone/Single traveller?

Next December is the Roller Derby World Cup - It's in Dallas but I thought I'd fly out a week early and go back to LA to visit friends before traveling to Dallas.

Now I’ve been once before about 4 years ago but it was in a group of 5, so I wasn’t on my own during the trip. I just wanted to get a few views on visiting as a single traveller. I’ll visit a few friends out there but there would be a few days I’d be on my own - is it just as fun as a single traveller? I'd need to be more aware as I'd be by myself.

I’d probably do five days then meet up with my Derby Team in Dallas for the rest of the trip.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

Well there's a million things to do you know that there are you know that there are.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,302 posts
5,606 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

You are not alone if you are visiting friends.....

but for the times you are not with your friends, LA is fine. I would probably choose carefully where i am staying - some parts of downtown LA I am not comfortable by myself but any name hotel will be ok. Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc. are fine

If you are staying with friends, not an issue. In general LA is fine to do so much at - and you will note so many single travelers in LA (yeah - many are on their way to or from work but being solo in LA is fine.)

If you are concerned about a particular hotel and safety in the neighborhood, let us know where you are considering staying -

but in terms of activities so many great things to do (fine dining by yourself may or may not be your thing; standing in line at Disneyland may not be your thing - for some they still do it)....but there is so much more to do, see, and enjoy its impossible to list.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

When I decided I might like to live in California, I came out for two weeks, rented a car, and explored from San Deigo to LA. I was able to stay with friends for a few days in Dana Point, but otherwise, toured myself. I enjoyed the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, and Universal Studios solo (I don't think I'd want to do that at Disneyland). I didn't really know where I wanted to move to until I saw Harry Perry, the turban wearing, electric guitar playing, roller blading musician who's pretty much the official greeter of Venice Beach since the 1970s. Of course, once I moved here, I learned that a single woman living in Venice was a terrible idea! But by day, the beach scene there was (and still is) fun. In fact, I first went to the beach at Santa Monica and the young man manning the ticket booth told me I'd hate it and gave me directions to Venice. Boy have times changed since 1986! Now Santa Monica is the hot spot.

Use your street smarts by staying off of dark streets and alleys, use a cab if you feel uncomfortable in any way, and be sure you can use your smartphone and you will be good to go.

Just about every time I'm at the beach, I help a young woman, map in hand, find her way to Venice Beach (as you look at the Pacific Ocean, it's to the left of Santa Monica!), so I can tell you, you are not the only one!

Have a great time.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

I went to LA many times by myself I stayed with my brother but since he was working,i ventured to downtown LA by public transportation it was great learning about the city and its history I simply enjoyed it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

My friends live in a mix of Hollywood and Santa Monica. I'd go for hotel over staying with them - they have kids and I don't want to feel like I'm imposing.

I stayed in the Orchid Suites last time, but I'd feel like I'm rattling around in those rooms by myself as they are for bigger groups. But I would look at hotels maybe near there, from last time I kind of remember the area so would like to be some where I sort of know, if you see what I mean?

Disney I love but I see that more as a group thing so I might try and talk my friends with kids into loaning me the kid for the day or coming with me.

I know I have ages to plan but I need to get saving for both trips and looking at vague/rough prices - thank you for the replies so far!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

Here's a link to the hotels of Hollywood. Most are within walking distance of the Orchid Suites but some are not. Check out the map provide or ask if you have questions.

Click the link below and then look for the 'neighborhoods' tab and click it; then select "Hollywood".

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

7. Re: Lone/Single traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:19