We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on terminal change at LAX

Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
advice on terminal change at LAX

We're flying United from SLC to LAX on 1/29 arriving at 7:05 am @ Terminal 8. Our Hawaiian Airlines flight is at 8:40 am from Terminal 2. I know we'll have to exit the airport and go back through security — and they won't transfer our bags, so we'll have to do that ourselves.

Originally we had almost 2.5 hours between flights, but both airlines have changed their times. I'm a little stressed and United won't let us switch our flight to the day before.

Someone had suggested exiting baggage claim at Terminal 7/8, getting a cab to Terminal 2. Then using the Skycap services — or Hawaiian Airlines web check-in bag drop — to expedite that process.

Does anyone have a sense of whether this is possible?

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
200 reviews
from US$79.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
180 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-on Hop-off Double...
581 reviews
from US$49.00*
Go Los Angeles Card
129 reviews
from US$85.00*
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

Assuming the SLC flight is on time, you should be able to get to the skycaps @ T2 by 7:30 am.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

I cannot see a cab willing to do a trip less than 1/8 mile. When you exit the terminal there is the "A" bus that circles from terminal to terminal. Since terminal 7/8 is opposite terminal 1 at times i've just walked thru the parking structure to the other side.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,065 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

The minimum fare for a taxi ride originating at LAX is $21 + tip. If you want to pay that for a 2 minute taxi ride, go for it.

More importantly, though, it's going to take a while for you to exit the plane, walk down the concourse and retrieve your luggage at baggage claim. 7:05 is the time at which the wheels 'touch down', not when the plane pulls up to the gate. Early morning is a busy time at LAX so your plane might have to wait a few minutes for an empty gate and then taxi to it. That could easily be 7 or 8 minutes. Then, you need to deplane. If it's a jumbo jet and you're seated toward the rear, it can take 30 minutes to get off the plane. Even with a smaller plane, 10 minutes is the minimum. Then you have to walk to baggage claim (10 minutes) and if your luggage isn't there, wait for it. All told, 7:30 would be the EARLIEST you'd make it to the sidewalk and then even if you found a taxi to take you terminal 2, you'd still be arriving at T-2 only about an hour before departure.

The problem with flights to Hawaii is that people take a lot of cargo with them, e.g. dog kennels, surfboards, etc. Therefore, it's NOT UNUSUAL for airlines to stop accepting luggage 40 or so minutes before departure. (Remember, the TSA has to scan your luggage before it goes on the plane). So, even if you are able to get to T-2 an hour before departure, your suitcases are likely not to make it to HI with you.

I would change one of your flights.

4. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 22:05
Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

Thanks for the advice. We definitely had no idea changing planes would be so involved when we booked. We've never been to LAX, so I thought it was all connected like most airports. Plus we had more time between flights before the schedule changes.

I also didn't realize it would be a 2-min cab ride between terminals. It would be ridiculous to consider that option then. Someone on an another forum had suggested the cab and said he does it all the time, so that's what gave me the idea.

I think we'll either ship our luggage to Maui and travel with just carry-ons - or rebook one of the flights. Shipping the luggage would eliminate both going to baggage claim and rechecking our bags at the next terminal.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

How much was the change in flight times from United? If over a certain amount of time, they have to let you change your flight. I've been through this with them before.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,065 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

check with the two airlines and see if they'll let you switch flights without a penalty (since they were the ones who changed your schedule). I would talk to a supervisor if you don't get results.

Good luck!

Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

It's only a 20 min change on both airlines. The United fee would be more than the tickets (double the price) so we'd have to just book new flights and not use the prebooked ones. I'm going to check with Hawaiian again tonight.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,065 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

Makes sense.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on terminal change at LAX

don't know what it would cost but shipping your luggage would relieve a lot of the stress. easy to run between terminals with just carry on.