We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time needed to make a connection?

Ontario
Level Contributor
895 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
how much time needed to make a connection?

We are flying United from SFO to LAX and then have one hour to make our United flight to Maui. Is this enough time? I am taking it for granted that we don't have to go through security again. I guess my biggest concern is the luggage making it. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,046 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

No it's not enough time. 2 hours is safe.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

What if we say it's not enough time? Are your tickets purchased? If so, would you pay the fee to change?

Or do you just want to have your mind put at rest? I assume both fights are on United. Unless there are delays, it should be enough time, and if you miss the connection, UA will put you on the next flight with available seats, though that may not be the very next flight (and this only applies if the two flights were purchased to get there). Are you connecting to the morning LAX-OGG flight, in which case there could still be time to get onto the afternoon flight if you miss the morning one (space permitting)?

You shouldn't have to go through security again. Will you bags make it? Probably. If they don't, you have to talk with the UA luggage folks at the Maui airport and make arrangements to have your bags delivered to you when they do arrive.

We flew SFO-OGG earlier this year, but a non-stop flight. If your tickets are not purchased, you should try for a longer connection (or, ideally, one of the non-stop flights). If they are, just hope for the best. If your flight from SFO is late, talk with a UA agent right away about getting switched.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 17:08
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

The SFO to LAX shuttles are notoriously delayed quite often if SFO has low cloud cover. I agree with both Elle and Sutter. In this case if both are united then there would be no penalty if one flight was late but you get to spend more time in airports than in Maui

Edited: 22 December 2013, 17:14
Mentioned in this post
Sutter
Sutter
California
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

This is one if those times when I would suggest going carryon luggage only. Also call United and ask if both flights are in the same concourse.

Ontario
Level Contributor
895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

thanks. It sounds too iffy to me. We are currently booked on an Economy flight from SFO to OGG and the option was to fly to LAX to be able to be in Business for the flight to Maui -- we are on a Business reward ticket.We will have lots of luggage!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

You are booked on United so it does not matter how much luggage you have as you do not have to claim it and re check it. If your luggage does not make it they United should deliver it to your hotel when it arrives. You are all on United you should be fine unless you first flight is late. Assuming it is booked on 1 reward ticket, United knows the statistics are in your favor to make it.

Many people ask this type of question where they are on 2 tickets and require changing terminals and the answers you got seem to reflect that assumption.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

My answer is based on experiences when booked on connecting flights on the same ticket thru SF and LAX. As someone else mentioned, that leg (SF/LAX) is often delayed. Not just weather, sometimes it is air traffic control.

Once our connecting flight was going to be held over an hour just on the runway, We were sent back to the gate and I deplaned withmy carryon. Because I had no checked luggage I was rebooked on a different flight departing on an alliance partner (nonstop to my destination).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

I flew SFO-OGG a few months ago, regular economy. Not anything overly fun being crammed in the coach seats, of course, but if the option is a two hour delay in getting to Maui (figuring 1 hour SFO-LAX then an hour on the ground at LAX) might be worth it just to bite the bullet and take the non-stop from SFO to OGG and get to Maui 2 hours earlier. You'd probably get more relaxation during that two extra hours in Maui than 5 hours of business class - at least for me I think I would.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

Are they the type of seats that just about fully recline? If so, those are awesome and I think I would go for it. Regular first class seats are certainly better than coach but there is the extra travel time to consider.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much time needed to make a connection?

Agree with MachThree about taking the SFO-OGG nonstop. Any non-stop in the 4-5 hour timeframe IMHO is better than being routed through another city. Unless they have revamped the seats in the past year, the business-first seats were just the bigger leather seats and not the new reclining ones. (The Mai-tais are fun but you can have them in Maui)

I am not quite sure what another poster means when he/she says delays at SFO are not just weather but ATC related . Err when there are clouds or rain or fog at SFO then ATC uses just one runway to land or in some cases increases the distances between landings on both runways. While it is technically correct that the delays are ATC related, it is primarily due to the weather and not because they are on a break or short staffed

Also airlines do not generally use the same gate for a specific destination at their hub where they may own 30-50 gates They use the same gates for the size and type of aircraft or bunch a few gates say to do the LA SF run or a shorter run. So calling United now to ask them which gates one's flights will land and takeoff from is great as an FYI and nothing more In fact one can go to google.com and type in United xxx and get arrival or departure info and gate info.

Also united uses terms 6-7-8 and if you are inside the secure area, then you do not have to go through security to switch terminals. The issue in this connection is potential SFO flight delays and not the usual LAX terminal change issues

Edited: 23 December 2013, 02:20
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii