We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

Hi all,

Looking to use Airbnb for an upcoming trip to LA - we're going to be there for three nights. Not currently planning to rent a car if possible, just want to do some exploring on foot/via public transport - maybe go up to Runyon Canyon to take in the views and catch the bus to Santa Monica beach one day too (we've been previously and done all of the Walk of Fame stuff). Other than that, we're a young married couple so keen to be in walking distance to nice bars and restaurants. We like a late night bar, but we're probably not really clubbers any more ;)

As such, my focus had been around WeHo as I'd heard good things about the nightlife & atmosphere. I've found a place that describes itself as 'central WeHo' but have also found a nice place a little further up, more Hollywood based.

The Hollywood place is on the corner of Sunset/N Fuller Ave & the other is more west on N Olive Drive between Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset Blvd.

I have done some research & I know there's not much difference in it and a bus can be taken between the two areas in about 10-15 minutes, but does anyone have any advice as to which area has the best surrounding bars/restaurants etc for walking to or any other advice on either area?

Thanks in advance :)

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

West Hollywood is the vibe you want. Hollywood skews young.

I'd urge you to rent a car.

HTH

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

You think we'd really need one for what we want to do & the length of time we'll be there? Both apartments come with parking so it wouldn't be a problem either way.

Any other feedback on these streets? Any advice on good places to eat & drink around them would be much appreciated too!

V

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

I live 'around the corner' from the WeHo location and would recommend the Hollywood location (Sunset/Fuller). This area is at the western end of Hollywood (not far from West Hollywood) so it's not the 'young area' where all the clubs are. In fact, there are lots of dining and drinking options in this area and you can jump on the #2 metro bus or take a 5 minute taxi ride and you'll be on the Sunset Strip with many more options.

The WeHo apartment in on an upsloped road that you won't enjoy walking up and down repeatedly. From there. you can walk to Runyon Canyon (straight up Fuller Av) and it's a relatively easy bus transfer to Santa Monica (although it will be either 2 bus rides in succession or you'll need to walk south to Santa Monica Bl (10 minutes) to catch the express bus to Santa Monica there.

You don't need a car and having one at the beach is a hindrance as there are waits in and out of the car parks and if you want to explore different areas of Santa Monica and adjacent beach areas, you'll either have to repeatedly move the car or you'll have to take public to these areas (and then back to the car) in order to head home (what a waste of time).

L.A. is a 'car city'. People LOVE their cars. If you want to feel line 'one of us', hire a car; if you want to have a pleasant holiday, take the bus. The notion that the bus takes 2 or 3 times longer 'to the beach' than driving isn't true, especially when you add in the time it takes to enter and exit the car parks.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

Yikes. Lots of typos, above. To clarify, it's the property near Sunset and Fuller that's near to Runyon Canyon (not the WeHo location).

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

Thanks so much HopSkipJump - your post was hugely helpful! Glad you agree we don't need a car, we have been to LA years ago & managed without one - we don't mind buses :) Also been recommended to download Lyft?

Any recommendations for good bars & restaurants/good streets for them welcome! Thanks for the Subset Strip tip, we'll definitely head there at some point :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

Oh no, a friend just suggested Silver Lake to me. Is it worth me investigating... ? *headache*!!

7. Re: Hollywood or WeHo apartment - which should we pick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18