We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

This summer (2014) we will be taking a road trip from Southern to Northern California begining in early July. Along the way- we'll stay at either a Best Westerns, Holiday Inns or Marriott but I can't seem to find any of these near Univserial Studio-where our daughter would like to celebrate her birthday. I'm open to other hotels but sinice we'll be traveling with two young teens it will be helpful to find a hotel with a pool and/or a breakfast included. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

Check the Hilton or the Sheraton.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

As I mentioned in reply to your post in the Anaheim forum, closest options to Universal among those brands will be the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame in Hollywood, the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn, the Best Western Hollywood Plaza and I'd also check the Best Western Sunset Plaza in West Hollywood which is a bit further than the others but still not too far and is quite nice for a BW.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

You'll want to look in Hollywood, at the hotel listed in Mach's post above. Hollywood is one metro stop from Universal.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

Either the Beverly Garland Hotel (aka Holiday Inn Universal City) or the Holiday Inn Express - Hollywood Walk of Fame would meet your requirements. Both have pool and breakfast included.

The Beverly Garland (a 3-star versus the Hollywood Inn Express' 2-1/2 star rating) has the added bonus of having a free shuttle between the hotel and Universal which will save you the cost of the $15 parking and the trek from the parking area to the Park's entrance which, when combined with the queue to enter the parking areas can save you as much as an hour for the day.

The Holliday Inn Express is a newer property, however and is in a more walkable area in central Hollywood compared to the Beverly Garland which is in a residential area about a 5 minute drive to area dining.

There is also bus and metro rail access access to Universal. The Holiday Inn has a bus stop across the street from the hotel that stops at the corner of Lankershim Bl & Cahunega Bl, a 2 or 3 minute walk from the tram stop where a free tram (which runs every 10 to 15 minutes) will take you 'up the hill' to the Park's entrance. The ride takes about a minute. The bus + tram option would be a backup plan if you didn't want to wait for the hotel's shuttle van.

From the Holiday Inn Express, you can take the same bus (heading north instead of south from Beverly Garland) from a bus stop across the street from the hotel. The same transfer to the free tram applies. Another option from the Holiday Inn Express is to walk south on Highland Av from the hotel (8 or 9 minutes) and take the red line metro rail one stop north to Universal City. Exit the metro rail station, cross to the diagonally-opposing corner and walk 50 m to the above-mentioned tram stop. The red line runs more frequently than the bus and the ride on the train is quicker (5 minutes) but when you include the time it takes to enter and exit the 2 stations, the transfer options take about the same amount of time. The bus also gives you the opportunity to have something to look at during the transfer.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

There's the Best Western Mikado in North Hollywood and the Best Western Suites in Burbank, both are just a few minutes from Universal, not sure if they have pools.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

I would look at the Orchid Suites and Magic Castle Hotel, both highly rated at TA near Hollywood and Highland, lots to see and do in the area (walking distance), and an easy one stop ride on the LA Metro Red Line Subway to Universal City.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

FYI (I know I'm late to this) but the Beverly Garland is no longer part of the Holiday Inn chain, and they are in the process of changing their name to 'The Garland'. They will soon start an extensive renovation, so if you plan on booking this hotel, please keep that in mind.

They will no longer be part of a larger hotel chain, and are just going to remain a boutique hotel.

San Luis Obispo...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

If you are staying on a weekend I would drive 15 miles west up 101 into the suburbs and stay at the Hilton in Woodland hills. Its a business hotel and is empty on weekends so you can get a nice king or two doubles for $103. The rooms at the Hilton near Universal start at $299 on the same night.

9. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 03:35
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable, clean hotels near Univserial Studio LA CA

A) The OP is looking for Best Western, Holiday Inn, or Marriott. Not Hilton. I assume they're using points. B) Woodland Hills is a terrible place to stay. Incredibly boring and far from everything with major traffic in and out of the city.