We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

Downingtown...
14 posts
Save Topic
Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

My husband and I will be travelling to the LA area for a wedding in July and have decided to make a vacation out of it. The wedding will be in Montebello, but obviously, it makes sense to do many of the touristy things offered in the LA area.

So my question is, is it feasible to stay in the Montebello area (looking specifically at the Hilton Garden Inn Montebello for 7 nights) rent a car, and commute out to the things we would like to do? Our budget is $130/night or less for hotel, would like a quite neighborhood. DH and I prefer a more relaxed vaca and prefer not to rely on public transit schedules. We are interested in:

Studio tours

Santa Monica

Hollywood tours

Local Museums

Disney Maybe?

Any response is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Montebello
Montebello
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,343 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

yes, its quite possible to see all the areas you want to see and stay in Montebello - Montebello itself is more a commuter town - not a lot of tourist activities in the city itself but with the wedding, it works well.

The key thing to do is to during the week days drive after 9:30 and either come back prior to 4:00 p.m. or stay till after dinner. For example, on your Santa Monica day head out for the day, have dinner along the coast, and then return after dinner.

Pasadena is just 10 miles or so away and some of the more local activities you might like to look at doing is having dinner in Old town

http://www.oldpasadena.org/

See Huntington Library - a great place to go if you like gardens and museums

http://www.huntington.org/

(Note: In San Marino close to Pasadena)

See the LA Arboretum

http://www.arboretum.org/

And Santa Anita Racetrack is also nearby (both Arboretum and Racetrack are in Arcadia but easy drive.)

Just realize you will be driving about an hour or so to Santa Monica and again an hour or so to Disneyland.

Downtown LA is just 10 miles away as well - one museum I really like in the area is

http://theautry.org/

Explore both Olvera Street and Farmers Market while in LA for interesting visit as well as inexpensive meals.

http://www.calleolvera.com/

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

If you like asian dining, San Gabriel valley is excellent for that

and for a mariachi show there is a fun restaurant in Baldwin Park

http://www.guadalajara-grill.com/

In short, yes - its quite possible to stay in Montebello and explore the other areas of LA/Orange County as long as you know some days its an hour or so drive to get to where you are going (and yep its an hour or so to get back to Montebello as well.)

Mentioned in this post
Montebello
Montebello
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
San Marino
San Marino
California
San Gabriel
San Gabriel
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Whittier
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

There is a nice hotel by The Shops at Montebello, The Doubletree Hotel (don't let the city Rosemead throw you off. Not sure what the rates are but you can check with them. They have a really good restaurant, my coworkers and I frequent it for lunch because it's not busy during the week. I hear the have a nice brunch on the weekends. Good luck deciding.

Mentioned in this post
Montebello
Montebello
California
Rosemead
Rosemead
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

It is also near Monterey Park, where most of the best Chinese restaurants are located. Please let us know how you enjoyed staying there if you get a chance.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey Park
Monterey Park
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,343 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

I have stayed at the Doubletree in Rosemead - and its a fine place to stay - you would need to shop for rates though as some days they can be quite high especially during race track season.

The place you have in Montebello is as equally fine or better place to stay.

The distance between Montebello and Rosemead is close - a few miles (7 or so) and likewise Monterey Park (about 4 miles or so) - so your location works fine.

Mentioned in this post
Rosemead
Rosemead
California
Montebello
Montebello
California
Monterey Park
Monterey Park
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,919 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

Montebello IS in the LA area. The question is, is it a practical location for seeing the major tourist sights of LA easily and the answer is no.

If you have two or three days of obligation for the wedding then stay two nights in Montebello and then move to a hotel that is more central, probably in the Hollywood area.

There is no reason to add 60 to 120 minutes of driving to your day every day if you only have to be in Montebello one day or two.

Mentioned in this post
Montebello
Montebello
California
6. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:43
Edited: 03 February 2014, 06:43
7. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:43
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

I'm with Scott. You COULD stay in Montebello but if you want a relaxed vacation, why spend it twice per day on the interstates?

Hollywood or Central L.A. (aka Beverly Grove -- just to the east of Beverly Hills) would be much more convenient for your proposed itinerary. Here are some hotel recs for you for July (you haven't specified exact dates so the hotel prices are estimated). In general. hotels in Montebello will be cheaper because it's 'on the edge of our metro area' but when you consider the cost of gas and the time saved, paying a little more will be worth it.

Re: public transit, some options like our metro rail system is quite reliable and runs frequently -- every 10 to 15 minutes, day and night. Popular EXPRESS buses -- like the 720 metro rapid and 704 metro rapid also run quite frequently (as often as every 2 or 3 minutes, -- depending on the time of day) so depending on where you stay, you might be able to give up the car for a day or more if the increased hotel costs start to stretch the budget.

1. In Hollywood:

a. Day Inn Hollywood/Universal Studios:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77256-R…

is within walking distance to Hollywood sites and the red line metro rail to Universal Studios and downtown L.A. There are also nearby buses that head to nearby attractions like the Farmers Market/the Grove, LACMA, the Sunset Strip, etc.

b. Hollywood Hotel at 1160 N. Vermont Av (Note: there are many hotels with the name "Hollywood" in their title. Be sure you're booking the one you want):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77237-R…

In Central L.A.:

a. Wilshire Crest Hotel

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d274223-…

I really like this place. It's in a residential neighborhood and offers free parking and free breakfast.

Happy hunting!

Mentioned in this post
Montebello
Montebello
California
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
The Hotel Hollywood
The Hotel Hollywood
576 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Whittier
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

Traffic in the Los Angeles county area is bad period. I personally don't think there will be any way around it unless you knew surface streets. Montebello is not a big city so you could always opt to stay at neighboring cities like...City of Commerce which also has some nice hotels and nice outlets. Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Montebello
Montebello
California
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Commuting between Montebello and LA Area...feasible??

Are you in the wedding or just attending as guests? I would stay elsewhere more convenient for sightseeing and just drive in to the wedding. But with that budget, you have to be careful of where you choose. Come back to the forum to check before you book. And do not do prepay/nonrefundable unless you are sure.