We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

Twinsburg, Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

My 14 year old daughter and I will be traveling to southern California in July 2014.

We are looking for a beach town to stay in for a few nights while we play tourist in the LA area. We will have a car so that is not an issue.

I am trying to get a sense of what the vibe of each town is and if one is better suited for us. She is into photography and hanging out at the beach. We both like to explore new places; learn about new local restaurants/shops/cafes...definitely not into the typical "tourist" trap locales. I love good seafood...and just exploring.

Is there a beach you recommend over the other? We have a family member who will be staying in Long Beach and Hermosa Beach during our visit, so don't want to be too far away from them.

Nice hotel with preferred good view/location would be good...close to the ocean would be even better. Prefer to stay as close to $200 per night at the end of July.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We Love LA Tour
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
La La Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Your L.A. Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,549 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

Look into the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach

Anything else in your budget is likely not near/or alongside the beach (despite neighborhood's name with the word "beach")/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

I like Redondo Beach for a few reason, fresh seafood from the Pier is awesome, lots of great options for photography, and decent prices in accommodations.

The Portofino is a great place and has great views.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

Any of these beach towns would be fun. In fact, you can bike back and forth to each of them easily. Did you know the beach bike path goes all the way from Redondo Beach, past LAX, through Santa Monica up to Will Rogers State Beach? Long, flat, and plenty fun!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

Manhattan Beach hands down. Much more upscale and good dining near the pier there too. Youe teen enjoy the scene. Rent bikes to ride The Strand. The Seaview View for budget option. The Shade Hotel if no budget.

Hermosa is nice but no hotel right on the beach. The Redondo hotels are in the marina and not directly on the sand.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 23:30
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,136 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

Both Dark and Elle make good recommendations. I'll address those in a moment. First, an overview of the three beach communities (I lived in HB for about 7 years).

As far as the ocean/beach experience is concerned, all three cities share the same stretch of coastline and the same ocean so you're not going to have different waves, sun, etc.

Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are quite similar in their geographical arrangement (about 1.5 miles of beach frontage and a city of about 15 blocks in depth (width?). MB has Manhattan Beach Bl as its main street; Hermosa Beach has Pier Avenue. Both of these streets lead to their respective piers which, with some minor exceptions are similar experiences (as far as piers go).

Manhattan is the most affluent of the three communities and that's reflected in the cost of the homes there and the caliber of the retail shops and restaurants although there are certainly casual places to dine. Hermosa Beach has more of a 'nightlife vibe' especially in the area near the pier.

Redondo Beach is larger and is less homogenous in its appearance. The western part is similar to the other 2 beach communities; the eastern part is more like a modern suburban city with major shopping and traffic. That portion of RB bends inward (away from the coast) since RB is more irregularly shaped than the other two; On RB's southern border is Palos Verdes Estates (PVE) a super-affluent community which has steep hills and some spectacular views. Also in Redondo is the RB Pier which is a little larger and more elaborate than the other 2; there is also a mini-marina in the northern part of RB and a swimming lagoon just north of the Pier.

Therefore, in terms of photographic possibilities, RB has the edge. But, it is also the furthest from the city of L.A. and, as such, the drives 'into the city' will be longer. (The closest freeway, the 405 aka San Diego Freeway, bends away from the coastline midway through Manhattan Beach so not only is the ride further from RB into L.A., you'll spend more time on 'local streets with traffic lights' getting to the freeway.

Meanwhile the Portofino is a well-regarded 4-star hotel on the marina whereas the Sea View is a well-regarded 3-star 'apartment-style' hotel (with kitchens in the rooms) where they will lend you bicycles to ride and beach supplies (towels, 'boogie boards', etc).

Bottom line, it depends on how many days you'll be 'touring L.A.' versus how many days you'll be hanging out 'at the beach' If your 'beach days' outnumber your 'city days'. stay in RB; otherwise, stay in MB

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

I've lived in all 3 and would pick Manhattan Beach hands down (lived there 19 years). Actually lived in the apartments at the Portofino hotel, but when the original owner sold the place, they doubled or tripled the rent as they wanted to turn the apartments into long term stays for business travelers. It was great in it's day. HM has difficult parking and vicious parking enforcement, the city derives a large portion of it's budget from traffic tickets.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,907 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

There is actually a great hotel right on The Strand in Hermosa Beach, the Beach House, but it is a bit above your budget.

Redondo Beach doesn't feel as "beachy" to me as Manhattan or Hermosa because the harbor dominates the waterfront area.

Manhattan Beach is my favorite of the three, but there isn't much right by the beach in terms of hotels. The Sea View is the closest, but there are nice hotels in Manhattan that are not at the beach.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

The other posters have summed up the pros and cons of each of the three areas for you pretty well. Personally I like Manhattan Beach the best - its about the same as Hermosa Beach more or less, but its a little bit closer to the main parts of the city and is a bit more convenient to the freeway. Redondo is great as well but as others said, has a little less beachy feel due to the harbor, and its the furthest from the freeways to get into the rest of the city quickly. On the other hand, for your purposes it may be the best choice since its just south of Hermosa where your other family member will be staying, and also its the closest of the three to Long Beach for when they are in that area. Bottom line though is that you won't go wrong with any of the three, but my suspiscion is that Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach is going to be your best bet for being near the beach at a price point under $200 at that time of year.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,057 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

Casual beach town, Manhattan Beach is a great choice to base yourself for a beach holiday and to also see the sites of LA. It's easy to get on the freeways to get around LA. You can be in Long Beach in 25 minutes, since the 405 Fwy is close. When you have to drive 20 minutes to get to the freeways from Redondo, it adds extra commute time.

The Sea View Inn is in your budget, and only a block up from the beach. There is free parking, and they lend beach chairs, boogie boards and towels for their guests, as well as bikes. Regulars return each summer and make their reservations in advance, so for your dates in July, I'd pick what you want now.

There is a cement sidewalk, called The Strand, that runs the length of the beach cities. Locals are out walking, it's very casual and relaxed. Just below that is the 22 mile bike path.

As far as visiting Hermosa, it's just minutes away if your family is staying in one of the chain hotels on Sepulveda Blvd.

I think there is more to photograph in MB. The Pier is the most beautiful, and photographed in all lighting, from early am to sunset. We have our free Botanical Garden with CA Native plants, benches, meditation garden deck, open all day.

Your 14 year old will love wandering through the many shops in the downtown area near the pier, and watching the surfers and volleyball players that are out every day. You will enjoy the many restaurants and coffee shops, outdoor patio seating, fresh seafood and produce from our Tuesday Farmer's Market.

10. Re: Redondo vs Hermosa vs Manhattan Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19