We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay??

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alma, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay??

We're planning a trip in May of this year to LA for 6 days. We're renting a car but would prefer the hotel we stay in be somewhat centrally located to some of the things we want to do. We're looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150/night (including parking on the higher end would be ideal). We want to see Hollywood, Sunset Blvd., Santa Monica, Peterson Automotive and Universal for sure. We're planning to drive up the Pacific Coast Highway one day. Looking for some other suggestions on what to see and do. We're in our 30's and he loves cars and racing...any drag strips or something like that would be cool. I would like to spot a celebrity or two if possible :) Any suggestions?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay??

Sounds like the Hollywood and Highland area is a good Central Location for your list.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-zfn4-Los_Angel…

Use the TA tool that ask you to place your specific dates and it will give prices quotes in the link above, then read the reviews and decide what accommodation is decent and within your price range.

A few other Car Museums, north of Hollywood is the Nethercutt Museum.

http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/

East of Hollywood on the LA County Fairgrounds is the NHRA Museum.

http://www.museum.nhra.com/

South of Hollywood in Tustin (Orange County) is the Marconi Museum.

http://www.marconimuseum.org/

The main Auto facilities include a Hot Rod Track next to the NHRA Museum, and the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. (Farther east than the LA Fairgrounds)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay??

Your expectations for budget are too low. Rates at the lowest end start at 150. Read our FAQs to familiarize yourself with locations and rates and neighborhoods. What you want to see is very far apart, but Hollywood will offer the lowest hotel rates.

Alma, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay??

I have researched the area extensively for hotels and have found MANY within the $100-150 range just didn't know in what areas to stay that would be cool for some 30 something's. Like I said, we are planning to rent a car so travelling isn't the issue. I just wanted to find somewhere decent that was sort of close to some of those attractions.

Thank you Darkbeer, I was thinking Hollywood and Highland too. Thanks for the suggestions on museums!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 04:38
Alma, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay??

I have researched the area extensively for hotels and have found MANY within the $100-150 range just didn't know in what areas to stay that would be cool for some 30 something's. Like I said, we are planning to rent a car so travelling isn't the issue. I just wanted to find somewhere decent that was sort of close to some of those attractions.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 06:45
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay??

For celebrity spotting, two main approaches - a) go somewhere that celebrities are known to frequent and hope for a chance encounter or b) attend a TV show taping where you are guaranteed to see some. Jimmy Kimmel, for instance, tapes his show in Hollywood right in the Hollywood / Highland area.

The Nethercutt collection is great for old, classic cars, mostly from the 20's - 40's - plus they have a lot of other non-car related stuff, especially their collection of self-playing musical instruments is fantastic.

As for hotels, it depends what level of hotel / motel you are looking for. Hotel taxes add around 14-15% to the advertised room rate, and many hotels will charge for parking. So for anything resembling a 3-star hotel, in most areas that are central to what you've mentioned you'd be looking at least $150. For a 2-star, $150 would be more realistic. To be somewhat in the middle, looking in West Hollywood, Hollywood (better chance to find less expensive properties there), Beverly Grove would be your best bets. Westwood near UCLA is another possibility. If you wouldn't mind sharing with us the hotels you've found, we should be able to point out the best couple of choices.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay??

Be sure to check with us before booking one of those many inexpensive hotels. Often, the lower priced ones are in inconvenient (or worse) areas. We only recommend safe and comfortable hotels and neighborhoods areas of the vast metropolis.

Alma, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay??

The Orchid Suites is probably at the top of the list. I was also looking at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel. There's also what appears to be a relatively new hotel (doesn't have many reviews) Le Bon Hotel? Any word on whether that's all it's cracked up to be?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay??

I am a fan of the Orchid Suites, a great extended stay Hotel (aka apartment Hotel) at a great rate, in a great central location, plenty to see and do in the area. Free breakfast, free WiFi, and parking is just $10 per day.

http://www.orchidsuites.com/prices.htm

www.latourist.com/index.php…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay??

I haven't seen anyone who as stayed at the Le Bon hotel report back yet, but I've seen a few other posters mention that they've booked it. It seems that its being priced very aggressively during this introductory period.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay??

What time of year are you coming?