We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

Hi! This will be our first time to go to the States so we're pretty excited about it. I'm travelling with my family this coming May 2014. There'd be four of us (all adults), and we'd be staying on LA only for 6 days coz we're planning on going to San Francisco on day 7. We'd really appreciate your comments and suggestions on our planned itinerary. Thanks in advance!

Here's our planned itinerary:

Day 1 - Arrival at LAX. Tour to Hollywood - Hollywood sign, hollywood and highland center, graumman's theater, walk of fame (since these were all nearby each other). Then Farmer's Market and the Grove.

Day 2 - Universal Studios

Day 3 - Hollywood tour - Madam Tussauds, Kodak Theater, Then Beverly Hills for some shopping

Day 4 - Disneyland

Day 5 - Downtown LA - Walt Disney Concert Hall, Getty Center, Shopping at Citadel Factory Outlet, hopefully watch an NBA game at Staples Center (if there's a schedule)

Day 6 - Downtown LA - Fashion District and Little Tokyo

We're planning on staying at West Hollywood the whole time and we're thinking of using the Metro on those trips. What do you think guys? Do you think this is feasible? and Are we missing out on some must-sees?

Thanks again!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

Some of your plans are unrealistic. For example, on day 5 you say you want to shop at the Citadel, go to the Getty Center, sightsee downtown, take in a basketball game, and get back to your hotel in West Hollywood on public transit. The Citadel is 10 miles southeast of downtown. The Getty Center is 15 miles west of downtown. West Hollywood is 10 miles west of downtown. All of these distances are via public transit across a dense urban grid without any connecting rail lines. Yes, there is Metro. But, you'll be taking buses. So you'll need to plan looking at a map in conjunction with the location of your hotel.

Which leads to the existential question of why you have selected West Hollywood for your hotel? WH is very nice. Some areas are better for the visitor using public transit. Another question. Why aren't you renting a car? Given your list of things to see and do, it would certainly be helpful.

What is your nightly budget? If you are planning on using public transit, look at Hollywood and downtown. Hollywood sits on the subway. Downtown is the center of the regional transit system. It is also the most vibrant part of the city right now. Where to stay should be driven by three factors -- budget, car or public transit, and itinerary.

Also, you need to be mindful that Disneyland is an hour southeast of downtown via the freeway. A car is mighty handy.

A day in Santa Monica is something to consider. The restaurants and shopping are world-class. The setting is beautiful. I'd think about the Citadel. It is in an industrial area and, frankly, the shopping isn't that great.

HTH

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

Where;s Santa Monica? Day 3 and Day 1 can be combined.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

On day 7 you want to drive to SF. Really? You can drive via I5 easily but you'll miss one of the most scenic drives in the world along hw1 esp between Cambria and Monterey. Suggest to stay at least one night (like in Cambria) or better take 2 nights for this drive.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

Thanks for all your responses. :)

First off, we're planning on taking the public transit instead of renting a car 'coz this will be our family's first trip to the US so I'm pretty much nervous letting my dad drive there. :) So i think public transit will be better.

Second, i thought West Hollywood would be the better place to stay. Would you recommend staying at downtown LA instead?

I guess my initial plan is so impossible (thanks guys for helping me realize..) Appreciate it if you could comment on the revised itinerary:

Day 1 - Hollywood/Highland Center, Graumman's theater, Walk of fame, Madam Tussauds, Kodak Theatre, Warner Bros. Studio Tour (Just saw this one)

Day 2 - Universal Studios

Day 3 - Beverly Hills, Farmer's Market and the Grove

Day 4 - Disneyland

Day 5 - Downtown LA - Disney Concert Hall, Fashion District, Littlt Tokyo, Staples Center

Day 6 - Shopping at Camarillo Premium Outlets then head off to Santa Barbara if time permits

I removed the Citadel Outlets based on your comments and chose Camarillo instead. What do you think?

Thanks again for your help :)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

I would seriously look at the Hollywood and Highland area as a place to stay for Public Transit and what you want to do.

Day 1 is pretty much all within walking distance of the area.

www.latourist.com/index.php…

Also at the corner is the main depot of Starline Tours, the main tour company of LA.

www.starlinetours.com

Day 2 is a one stop trip on the LA Metro Red Line Subway from the corner to Universal City, and then catch the free shuttle tram that goes up the hill to the Main Entrance of Universal Studios.

Day 4 is the big one, hopefully you can rent a car for a day so you can enjoy Disneyland including the evening entertainment. Maybe switch Disneyland to Day 5, and then just keep the car for the drive to Camarillo and Santa Barbara.

But sounds good.

As for where to stay, with a family I like the Magic Castle Hotel or the Orchid Suites due to the extended stay style of Hotel benefits, including a kitchen/kitchenette in each room. Both are highly rated at TA.

6. Re: First Time Travel to LA - Need help on our itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:31