We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

Looks like all the travellers that passed through LAX really didn't bother with the Encounter restaurant.

Hopefully the next occupant markets a little more efficiently.....

insidesocal.com/aviation/…

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

Well that was fast. I never got a chance to go after the reopen. Did they fix or retrofit those questionable pillars? I thought they had tried to market it to locals as well as travelers through the airport.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

it was retrofitted but the marketing of the place was horrible, at best.

I know a number of folks were pointed to the spot via Trip Advisor but I have never read of anyone actually going there.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

I did go there a couple of times several years ago. Very cool Jetson-esque interior, food was surprisingly not bad, great views and great lighting at night. According to the LA Times, observation deck in the same building is still open, while the airport seeks another restaurant to fill the space. As they pointed out though, and which makes sense, a lot of people would be more hesitant to go there due to the need to leave security and go back through later on in order to eat at the restaurant.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

Oh no! We actually enjoyed eating there over the years, most recently last Feb. Great for plane-spotting. Interesting that the same thing was going to happen with the Proud Bird restaurant, just outside LAX (but still on airport property): announced it was closing due to lease costs, but then said it'd stay open for another year. The Encounter was in the middle of a big airport but walking there from the surrounding terminals wasn't always easy (the route wasn't obvious to some travelers). Hoping another concessionaire uses the space.

We'll be flying out of LAX after a brief visit in March, staying at a hotel nearby for the last two nights. We probably would have gone to Encounter for dinner. Your post saved us a trip.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 20:34
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

If you are staying at a hotel on Century Blvd you can take the Ocean Express Shuttle to the downtown area of Manhattan Beach. There are a number of great dining choices people are flocking to, housed in the old 40's and 50's original buildings near the pier. Some are very small like Fishing with Dynamite that seats 22 people. Opened by the guys who have MB Post next door in the 1926 original post office and Tin Roof on Sepulveda. Also look for Darren's, Little Sister, Fonz's, the Strand House, Mangiamo's and Rock'N Fish.

Shuttle $5 r/t pp at hotel front desk or drive your rental.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

I tried to update the restaurant's status on the TA review page but was unsuccessful. I clicked on "are you sure the restaurant is permanently closed?" and it kept coming back to the same page, with permanent closing marked no.

7. Re: LAX Encounters restaurant is closed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19