We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica versus Central LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Santa Monica versus Central LA

Hi guys....

Myself and my partner are heading to LA for for days as part of our road trip honeymoon. We want to fit disney and universal in so that is 2 days gone. That leaves us with only 2 days to see everything...

Would we be better off to stay out in Santa Monica which has been reccommended to us or in a more central local (such as sunset boulavard) where i have found a slightly cheaper hotel.

I should also mention we will have a hired car to get around.

Any help would be greatfully received....

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

Hi,

last august me and my girlfriend had a road trip in California and we needed to take the same decision.

At the end, considering that we had a car, we decided to stay in Santa Monica. We'd totally do the same again: the area is lively, with a lot of restaurants and nightlife and we really enjoyed the atmosphere.

I don't know when you're going, and if "low" season months are less interesting.

We stayed at the Sea Shore Motel, which was a good choice for us. The breakfast wasn't included in the price, but the parking was...and in LA area this is more important :-)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

I would lean to Santa Monica in most cases, especially since you have a car, but it also might depend on the properties specifically. What time of year is this trip?

Understand that in two days you are not going to "see everything".

Is LA the end of your trip?

Disneyland is not in LA, it is south of LA and depending on where you are traffic can make it 45 to 90 minutes away. I'd also check on hours, If the trip is summer and the hours are 8AM to 12AM, you might consider spending a night in Anaheim so you don't need to drive at the end of a long day.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

http://goo.gl/maps/EoK1m A long haul during rush hours. Downtown closer to public transportation, including trains, but you have a car, and overall environment better in Santa Monica, especially for a first-time visitor. Rates can be high. You'll likely have to pay parking at most hotels in either location.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 13:18
Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

Thanks guys for the tips. Looks like Santa Monica is the best option. We are going to be there from the 7-11 of october so i am not sure if that counts as off season or not. It won't be the end of our trip, we will be going on to San diego from there.

I don't expect to see everything... we will be happy to see the main sites. I have been before but my partner hasn't so I would like him to see as much as possible.

Maybe we should try stay in santa monica 3 nights and go to Anaheim for one night...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,363 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

It is best to post your overall itinerary in the California forum and get feedback there but in your case if you are going to san Diego it would be best to stay one night in Anaheim and then drive the next day to san Diego

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

Santa Monica is the most central of the beach areas in LA with respect to most tourist attractions, but since its necessarily at the far west end of the city, its not quite the most central place. That said, it does have great scenery and the beach and since its your honeymoon, if it were me I'd give extra consideration to those factors and choose Santa Monica. You should still be able to see everything you'd want to see if you have a car.

Sunset Blvd. (I'm assuming you mean in West Hollywood) is a lively area with lots of bars and nightlife, which overall is a bit more central, but no beach in sight.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

What hotels are you considering?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

Since you are moving on to San Diego it makes a lot of sense to move to Anaheim for at least one night. Your hotel won't be ready for check-in first thing in the morning, but I'd probably stay someplace like the Fairfield Inn across from the main entrance, have the hotel store my luggage, park there and walk to Disneyland.

You can take a break during the day and check-in.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

Santa Monica is not a good location for visiting Universal Studios or Disneyland, it is too far west.

Have a look at Google Maps, www.maps.google.com and you can "get directions" between any hotel and attractions, it will give miles and estimated travel times.

I agree that it will serve you well to spend at least 1-2 nights in Anaheim near Disneyland (perhaps the night before your visit, and the night of your visit.

For Universal and the rest of your touring, Glendale, Hollywood or West Hollywood would be a better choice

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santa Monica versus Central LA

Agree with the fact that Santa Monica is on the far west end of Los Angeles County and away from places like Hollywood, Universal City and Downtown LA.

What else do you want to see in the other two days, a day at the Beach?

Maybe a night in Hollywood, see the popular Hollywood attraction before heading to sleep, then get up in the morning, head to Universal Studios then drive to the Anaheim area.

www.latourist.com/index.php…

Spemd a day at Disneyland the next day, then back to the Hotel. Next day check out places like Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Long Beach, using the Pacific Coast Highway to go between the areas.

www.visitnewportbeach.com

www.surfcityusa.com

www.visitlongbeach.com

www.visittheoc.com

Then head south to San Diego.