We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

We have 1 whole day to spare , staying in Hilton LAX pre cruise

Now debating whether to hire a car or take a bus.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a bus to Santa Monica from the airport?

We fancy spending the day there as we have never been in that area.

Also any recommendations on transfer to cruise terminal?

Thank you for your help

Caryl

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

Hello MultiTripper, and welcome to the Los Angeles forum.

Coming from the UK, my thought is you don't like the "wrong side of the road" thing we have here in the States, so I'd spring for taking public transportation.

You could use the complimentary Hilton shuttle to get to LAX. From inside LAX and the terminal loop, take the Flyaway bus to UCLA in the Westwood district of Los Angeles. Cost is $10 one way, and an efficient way to see a well known and tourist friendly part of LA. Link here: http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4698

From UCLA and Westwood Village, take the Metro Line #20 to Santa Monica from the northwest corner of Wilshire Blvd. and Westwood Blvd. A short three small blocks from the Flyaway dropoff location at UCLA. . . I've walked down there myself and enjoyed it. Lots of shops and restaurants and theaters, etc. Fare is $1.50, and the trip takes around 20 minutes/5 miles to the Santa Monica Pier.

Alternatively, you could leave your hotel for the LAX City Bus Center outside of LAX and take the Culver City bus #6, which gets you to Sepulveda Blvd. and Venice Blvd. Cost is $1.00 plus the 40 cents transfer fee for your next bus, Metro Rapid Line #733 which you board at the northeast corner of Venice Blvd. and Dufresne Court. Free with your transfer. About 20 minutes of ride time on this leg of the trip to the Santa Monica Pier. Costs less, equally efficient, but avoids UCLA/Westwood, which I would think you would enjoy as Westwood Village is a very walkable and cosmopolitan area of LA. Up to you.

And then there's the taxi ride, which would cost around $40 one way.

For your cruise terminal ground transportation, the recommended way is to use an airport shuttle service company. Prime Time Shuttle and Super Shuttle are the two largest and best run companies that do this. Spacious 8 passenger vans with room for lots of luggage in the rear section. Door to door service, and you never have to touch your bags start to finish. Here's the links: http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/ supershuttle.com/Locations/LAXAirportShuttle…

Hope this proves helpful to you. Enjoy your time with us here in Southern California.

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

Many thanks for such a fast and informative reply. I am impressed!

Very useful info.

Best wishes

Caryl

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

When we stayed at a LAX hotel, we walked to the LAX bus center (the one off-airport), and took a Santa Monica city bus to near the pier. Flyaway worth considering if you want to see Westwood Village (very nice area around UCLA), but it costs more than a city bus. The LAX transit center is like a big bus stop, with several bays, with buses from the Los Angeles, Culver City and Santa Monica bus systems. I'd get a 10 minute walk, maybe a tad more, from the Hilton. Their shuttle may even drop you off there if you ask in advance. We love the beds at the Hilton.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 13:40
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

The best way to Santa Monica by bus is to walk to the transit center in airport parking lot "C" on 96th St. between Vicksburg Ave. and Avion Drive. From there you can take Big Blue Bus #3 (or, better, Big Blue Bus Rapid 3) directly to the pier area in Santa Monica - www.bigbluebus.com. Its a 4 or 5 block walk from the Hilton, as outlined here:

https://goo.gl/maps/qB6kh

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,631 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

Don't overlook taking a cab, either. It's about $30.00.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

Actually, the Santa Monica #3 pulls up in front of the HIlton so there's no need to transfer to the bus plaza aka LAX transit center. Take the bus to the corner of Colorado Av & 4th Street -- a 45 minute ride costing $1 (exact money is required on the bus -- no change is returned).

The Santa Monica #3 buses are owned and operated by the city of Santa Monica and are affectionately referred to as "Big Blue Buses". They are painted blue (although some of them look to be more purple than blue). This is a different bus company than the Metro Buses that run throughout Los Angeles.

The buses run every 15 minutes until 7 pm. After 7 pm, there are other public transit options. Do you know how to research these? Here's some info from our TOP QUESTIONS box that might be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171690/Los-An…

A taxi ride from the Hilton to the above bus stop would be a distance of 11.31 miles (if the taxi took the freeways -- not recommended during 'rush hours') or 8.81 miles via 'surface streets' -- a shorter distance but at a slower speed.

At the present time (2:19 pm), the travel times for these routes are as follows:

a. Via Freeway: 18 minutes (16 minutes with NO traffic)

b, Via surface streets: 27 minutes (21 minutes with NO traffic)

During HIGH TRAFFIC hours (during rush hour), these numbers will climb and locals like Ellebein recommend against using the freeways during these times. (The #3 bus uses surface streets).

By freeway, the taxi fare would be calculated as follows assuming medium traffic like what we're having now):

a. $2.85 for the first 1/9th mile

b. $2.70/mile for the next 11.2 miles ($30.24)

c. 2 minutes of 'waiting time' (when the taxi is waiting at a red light or stuck in traffic) x 50-cents per minute (= $1).

That comes to: $2.85 + $30.24 + $1 = 34.09 + 15% tip = around $39 (I'd round it to $40).

Via surface streets, the taxi fare would be calculated as follows assuming medium traffic (like what we're having now):

a. $2.85 for the first 1/9th mile

b. $2.70/mile for the next 8.7 miles ($23.49)

c. 9 minutes of 'waiting time' (when the taxi is waiting at a red light or stuck in traffic) x 50-cents per minute (= $4.50).

That comes to: $30.84 + 15% tip = about $35.50 (I'd make it $36)

Have fun!

7. Re: How to get to Santa Monica from LAX airport please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:18