We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

I'm not sure if pacific coast highway best shots are more north closer to San Jose or if there are some decent spots near Los Angeles area. If there some great views of Pacific Coast near Los Angeles area, please chime in.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

There are great views of the coastline up and down the west coast. One of the better view is from the Getty Center Museum up high and looking south. But then there are lots of other choices, depending on whether you want a more urban look or rugged nature look.

BTW San Jose is not near the coast.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

I like a few places on PCH in LA County, there is a hill side in Palos Verdes that has some great views with a small parking lot.

http://goo.gl/maps/Q18j3

Keep going south to Point Vicente.

http://goo.gl/maps/FvCdc

Keep driving South east along Palos Verdes Drive towards San Pedro, and more turn offs with some great views and great for photos.

A good chance of photos of Catalina Island, depending on weather. And you want to drive south down Palos Verdes Drive from the Redondo Beach area to be able to access the turn offs a lot easier than going north.

Get back on the PCH and head through places like Long Beach's Belmont Shore, Seal Beach, Bolsa Chica Wetlands, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach (take the road onto Balboa Peninsula, and go to the end opf the road, classic photos of the Wedge are well known with good waves. Crystal Cove is another good area, and end up at San Clemente.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c174834/Califo…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

Further to TSS's post, we love going up Pepperdine university and the views from there are really lovely. While the PCH has some great views, the poster from Tustin forgot Laguna Beach which has lovely views and the beach was voted one of the top ten beaches in the US by trip advisor members

But IMHO the most spectacular views are along the Big Sur from Carmel to Cambria

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

FYI, driving down the PCH in Laguna Beach there are not many good views, they are before you get there, such as Crystal Cove State Park area and earlier in the south end of Newport Beach, and the chance to pull over in places like State/Regional Park Parking Lots. The drive through Laguna Beach is pretty much shops and restaurants. Once you get closer to Dana Point, there are more ocean views from the PCH. I have taken many photos of the area, including some that have won awards, and as stated, I tried to give the OP locations where they can pull over from a car, and get some great shots from PCH, and I love the Palos Verdes Area of Los Angles County.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

The fantastic thing about TA is that we are all allowed to express our own opinions and I have spent many a day just a few months ago on the PCH south of seal beach all the way to Dana point and this is one of several trips we have made over the years -- so this is not a recollection from the last century or when I was Seven years old.

My personal feeling is that Huntington Beach has a long stretch of sand and the view as we drive along sea level is fine and as we get to areas around Newport Beach and Corona del mar, we are on higher ground in stretches and the views are great and then we get to Laguna Beach which reminds me and many others of the south of France and there are some great photo ops before one gets close to and past the downtown area of LB which has shops and restaurants on both sides.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 10:01
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

I too think Palos Verdes is a good choice if you want great coastal shots. Pepperdine which was mentioned is also good if you want move of a view from up high towards the ocean. But even PCH in Santa Monica and through Malibu can be good if you can pull over. Approaching LA from Malibu has some very nice views of the coast as well.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

One pic that you'll enjoy is the Santa Monica Pier ferris wheel at night. Shot from Ocean Avenue in Palisades Park will be one to treasure for a lifetime. Once the shot is complete take a stoll in the park above PCH loooking down on the Pacific Ocean, or wander onto the 3rd street promenade for some good people watching.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,988 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

I don't understand the question. Why are you comparing San Jose, or bringing it up? If you are going to be north (San Jose is not on the coast), and south - both - then take photos of the coastline in all areas. The coast is gorgeous the entire coastline, and great for photos.

If you are looking to stay close to LA, then just go to the bluffs in Santa Monica, known as Palisades Park, and snap away!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

>>> we get to Laguna Beach which reminds me and many others of the south of France<<<

Yes the view from South Coast Highway (PCH) just south of Las Brisas in Laguna Beach reminds many visitors of the French Riviera.

http://www.southerncaliforniariviera.com/

In Laguna Beach you'd want to pull off to a side street to park and walk around the city to get good pictures.

Ditto for north of Pepperdine University (Malibu), you have to pull into the lots to get good shots of the beaches, cliffs and coves.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pacific coast highway near Los Angeles for coastline pic

In Malibu, you can park alongside most beaches, so if you drive up the coast, choose a point to turn around and get your pictures when you are on the ocean side of the highway. There are many beautiful vistas along the route through Malibu.