We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centralized location?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Centralized location?

My husband and I are in the process of planing a trip to California in May. We are planning on visiting different locations and are looking for somewhere we could stay to be in a central location to all these areas without breaking the budget.

One day in San Diego/La Jolla

One day in Laguna

One day at Disney

One day to see Malibu and Santa Monica

3 days to see the hollywood area.

I know that you recommend the West Hollywood area, but those areas are out of our price range and we're really not into the night life thing. Is there another centralized location/city that would work out in our favor? We're really not a fan of switching hotel rooms and would like to stay in one hotel for our trip. If this is unattainable then would you recommend staying three nights in the Anaheim area and the remainder more towards Hollywood? Our hotel budget is around 130.00 a night.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centralized location?

Its up to you - Anaheim is somewhat in the middle but you'd have something like a 30-40 minute drive to Laguna, a 90 minute drive to San Diego / La Jolla and about 60 minutes drive to reach Hollywood & Santa Monica. So that's an awful lot of back and forth driving.

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and switch hotel rooms once - Anaheim for Disney, Laguna and San Diego / La Jolla, and then somewhere to the north for Santa Monica and Hollywood.

Hollywood itself has a lot of relatively inexpensive hotel options, so if West Hollywood is above your budget, try Hollywood. - with the budget you indicated I would try the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, Orchid Suites, Liberty Hotel or the Hotel 6 on Whitley Ave.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centralized location?

The split between Anaheim and Hollywood is popular and a good one. Visit San Diego, Laguna, and other Orange County locations from there (but only if you are going to Disneyland; otherwise, you might want to look at staying in Laguna Beach). After that, come on up to LA and stay in Hollywood for more budget hotels and transit routes.

If you need assistance with the Orange County part of your trip, the good people on that forum can help you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659482-i12177-Ora…

Ask us here on the LA forum about your Hollywood, Malibu and Santa Monica days.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Centralized location?

Would anyone recommend Marina Del Ray as a convenient location to visit Hollywood and it's surrounding areas? Some of the hotels seem cheaper closer to the beach.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Centralized location?

Or perhaps Manhattan Beach?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centralized location?

No, the beach areas you are talking about are on the far west end of Los Angles County, and not centralized.

As mentioned, Hollywood/Downtown LA for the city of LA and surrounding area, and Anaheim for Disneyland and Orange County. Both areas have good public transit options, and near multiple freeways.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centralized location?

They're convenient to Malibu and Santa Monica, but nothing else on your list. I'm not a fan of the Marina as a place to stay, but I love Manhattan Beach.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Centralized location?

Both are nice areas, but the Marina is not a great area for walking around so much, whereas Mahattan Beach is a great area to walk around. Neither is overly central in terms of being close to Hollywood, but the Marina is more central. If you want to be by the beach and can find places in either area within your budget, and don't mind being a bit less central, then both are fine.

This is assuming you'll have a car. I would not stay in either area without one.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,774 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centralized location?

A third vote for switching hotels. Your itinerary covers three enormous counties!

Our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page explains how to search for hotels here on Trip Advisor if you know your travel dates, neighborhood and price range. Here's a link to this content:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c130992/Los-An…

I would select an affordable neighborhood between Santa Monica and Hollywood; that would include Hollywood itself, West LA and 'Central Los Angeles' (the neighborhood to the immediate east of Beverly Hills and to the south of West Hollywood). This area might be perfect for you as it does not have nightclubs and the only bars are the ones found in some of the restaurants. For an arbitrarily-selected visit from May 15-18, here's what the trip advisor 'hotel finder uncovered in your price range):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77708-R…

(In between Santa Monica & Hollywood in the West L.A. neighborhood -- 2.5 stars)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223046-…

(On the northeast corner of our downtown neighborhood which is southeast of Hollywood. Not in between Santa Monica & Hollywood but there is excellent public transit from downtown as well as excellent freeway access so you could make it to your sites in no time. Add to that, the "Little Tokyo " area where the hotel is located is a pleasant, walkable area with lots of dining options. 3-stars.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77237-R…

Good, solid 3-star hotel in Hollywood -- a little beyond your budget but Anaheim hotels are cheap so you might save some money there that you can spend on your Hollywood hotel.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77256-R…

(Decent 2-star in central Hollywood)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d78682-R…

Highest-rating (3-1/2 stars) in North Hollywood. Close to Hollywood; not too far from Santa Monica (40 minutes)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d274223-…

I really like this place. It's the most central of all of the available hotels (it's in Central L.A.). The rates are a little above your budget but parking and breakfast are included. Nice, residential neighborhood but a 1 minute drive to dining, etc.

BTW, there is 'room tax' of approx. 15% added to all 'room rates' so if $130 is your max, then the highest 'room rate' you could accept would be $113! (slim pickings in May in L.A.)

Happy hunting!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Centralized location?

We will have a car.

I just used Google maps to check out some distances, and now I get it. The normal drive from Manhattan Beach to Hollywood as of right now is normally half an hour and now it's almost a full hour.

Thank you for all your responses.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centralized location?

Is there a reason you are rejecting the cheaper hotels in Hollywood? May isn't an ideal time at the coast (often overcast) and 3 of your days are in Hollywood.

If that is still your itinerary I would stay east of the 405/ San Diego Freeway.