We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Hi,

i am staying in Koreatown in May and wondering whether i can use the red line metro at night or should i get a cab?

thanks Gemma

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Should be fine.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Should be fine but which property are you staying at and where will you take the Red Line to?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

we are staying at stayon Beverly. we will be visiting hollywood etc but we also want to go to trois mec on highland avenue for dinner on Friday night. would that be ok or should we take a cab? x

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

StayOn Beverly isn't what I'd call Koreatown and is no where near a metro station. The closest one is over a mile away straight down Western. I'd be less thrilled with that walk (south to north) than I would be east to west on Wilshire.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 16:42
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Google Maps and www.metro.net both suggest buses. Metro.net can't find a rail-only option because you'd have to walk over a mile. Thought of a taxi, at least for the trip back?

Edited: 16 January 2014, 16:57
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Although this property is tecnically on the boundry of KoreaTown, it's kind of away from KoreaTown "central". For the most part, it's an urban mixed area.

The closest Metro station (Red Line) is about a mile away, East on Beverly. It's safe during the day but I would be cautious and have your wits about you at night. There is a bus, the #14, that would take you down Beverly also. The schedule shows that to ba a 7 minute ride.

When taking the Red Line, take the "North Hollywood" direction to get to Hollywood proper. The other direction, is "Union Station". For multiple rides, your best bet is to purchase a $5 day pass, along with the actual TAP card, which is $1

Dr. Z

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

>>>The closest Metro station (Red Line) is about a mile away, East on Beverly.<<<

It is about equidistant from the Purple Line Wilshire/Western station and the Beverly/Vermont Red Line station. While I would be cautious on the walk up Western late at night, I absolutely would not walk west on Beverly Blvd from Vermont. The area around the Beverly/Vermont Red Line station is much rougher then the Purple Line Wilshire/Western station.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

I can't disagree with you but notice my warning about walking in the evening.

By the way, the DASH bus also goes to Wilshire/Western and takes about the same time as going down Beverly.

Dr. Z

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

ok so your suggesting I stick to buses, are these ok to use at night?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red line metro from Koreatown... safe?

Just curious why you're staying there? There are much better located hostels/motels than this. This is not an area I'd want to stay, more so because there is nothing of interest around you.