We are coming from Canada and will be in the LA area March 1st to 12th. We have two kids: our son, 9 and daughter, 12 and we like to do a little of everything on vacation. We've been to other big cities and live near Toronto, so we want to do unique to LA/California things and enjoy the weather.
We are arriving late (11pm our time) on the 1st, so we are planning on staying at an airport hotel the first night
We are definitely doing 2 days at Disney, one at each park, thinking we will stay for three nights in the Anaheim area at some point during the trip. Probably 5th to 8th but we haven't decided yet whether lower crowds during the week is worth giving up Fantasmic and Fireworks for?
We've ruled out other themeparks and studio tours, we've been to the taping of a TV show at home, and my husband isn't a big fan of rides.
Other things we are looking at:
- whale watching trip (is it worth it this time of year/where from?)
- day trip or overnight to see/experience the desert (which one/what to do/where to stay?)
- Getty Museum
- Griffith Observatory
- Science Centre (mostly to see the shuttle)
- La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
- Hollywood area: Chinese theatre and walk of fame
- walk down Rodeo drive (just to say we've been there)
- drive through Beverly Hills? (also just to say we've been there)
- a beach, thinking Santa Monica with a bike ride down the boardwalk (will there be surfers there?)
We are trying to stay as flexible as possible so we can maximize our time outside on nice days.
I THINK it would be best to stay at the LAX airport hotel, head to Disney/ desert, then come back and stay in the Hollywood area, but I'm not sure.
Advice on these plans, which ones we can combine into one day, and anything we should add or skip would be appreciated. We plan to rent a car for the entire time, unless anyone has a better idea. We don't mind public transit, but we also don't mind driving in traffic we just would rather not sit in traffic jams!