We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Hi

We have 3 full days in LA (4 nights), the Hollywood Orchid Suites seems to suit our budget and accommodation requirements, and gets positive TA reviews. I have read that it's close to the attractions on Hollywood Blvd, do you think it will also work as a suitable base for the likes of Warner Bros Studios, iFly, Griffith Observatory, Venice Beach if we have a car?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Sure, it can work as a base for those things without any issue. Generally, the area where Orchid Suites is located is suggested for visitors without a car, as its easy to get around from there on public transit. If you have a car, you don't really have that sort of consideration and there are nicer areas that you could chose, but those areas also tend to be a bit more expensive for hotels and Hollywood is close to several of the things that you mentioned - the only thing that's at all a bit of distance away is Venice Beach.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Staying at Orchid Suites is like staying in Temple Bar - but without the charm. It's touristy, lively, busy - close to much on your list.

Venice and Santa Monica are about 30-40 minutes by car but becuase of traffic patterns, can be longer. Time your drives to the west for after 10AM and head back either before 3PM or after dinner, or it could take over an hour, or more, to get back

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Thanks for your replies and advice, we've booked Orchid Suites. I'll post a review on our return.

@ ElleBeinLA I think I know what you mean, I couldn't imagine staying in Temple Bar myself but I can see the attraction as a tourist ;-)

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

What I think Elle is saying is that Hollywood doesn't show off LA at its best. Hollywood is the kind of place you take visiting friends to for an hour or two. After which they ask you "Is that it?" Or if you're 22 and want to get drunk in the wee hours. Hollywood is the kind of place you visit briefly and move on. (Unless you've got a thing for wax museums.) Yes, the Orchid offers is inexpensive and well maintained. But, there's a reason why hotels in Hollywood for the most part are relatively cheap compared to the rest of LA. As Mach points out, if you have a car, there's really not much reason to stay here. It is not the end of the world. But, you're likely to have an inaccurate perception of Los Angeles by staying in Hollywood.

Visitors often labor under the misperception there is a single central location to stay in Los Angeles. No, there isn't. LA is a very large and complex and delightful city. It is usually better if a visitor tells us what their budget is, their itinerary and whether they intend to rent a car or not. My concern is that your itinerary isn't well defined (Huh, iFly?) or gives you enough to do. You don't want to find yourself in the lobby looking at those brochures to figure out what to do that day.

By the by, given your clear interest in the entertainment business, be sure to check out the Grammy Museum at LA Live in downtown.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

Be sure to read the reviews for Venice Beach. They are really all over the place now. The whole medical marijuana thing is a powerful presence. At least the police presence has been increased. It is probably better to park in Santa Monica and stroll down to Venice Beach.

Take a look at this list of things to do.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

HTH

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Yes, to echo -- if you have a car, you can stay anywhere, and anywhere else is better (to me) than Hollywood. Temple Bar isn't a great comparison because it's so lovely, but I meant it as a comparison as a tourist center. Personally, I'd be happier across from St Stephen's Green, like at the Shelbourne :)

If you have a car, I highly recommend looking into hotels like Best Western Sunset Plaza, or The Grafton, or anything in West Hollywood. All of my Irish friends love love love Santa Monica, so if you find something there in your budget, that would even be best.

6. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 17:35
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

"don't let the nay-sayers try to tell you not to do it."

I think I'm going to adopt that line for all of my posts. In one fell swoop, it discounts and dismisses any advice to the contrary while seemingly bolstering one's own opinion, and yet has absolutely no substance and says absolutely nothing.

Rayman - it depends on your budget of course since Hollywood does tend to be less expensive, but as others have mentioned, there are reasons why. Hollywood is an area that was allowed to deteriorate quite a bit from its heyday. In recent years there's been a lot of effort to revitalize it, and that has been successfully done in some pockets, while other pockets have retained their deteriorated state. So the overall niceness of the area is not as high as it could be. There are other areas that are a bit more central than Hollywood and generally nicer, though more expensive to stay in - West Hollywood would be one such area.

Orchid Suites itself is fine for what it is - a converted apartment building that offers basic, 2-star level accommodation. For better or worse, for some posters Hollywood has become the default area that they recommend for visitors almost all the time, and Orchid Suites has become their default recommended hotel in Hollywood, almost all of the time. If your budget allows for it, and given that you will have a car, I would suggest looking elsewhere, us "naysayers" not-withstanding, instead of listening to the generic, cookie-cutter advice that was offered above either due to being too lazy to offer you considered advice tailored to your situation, or due to lack of knowledge about other options in the area.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Rayman, I live in West Hollywood (the city to the immediate west of the Hollywood area) and I will say that West Hollywood, as a hole is prettier. However, I wouldn't present Hollywood as partially deteriorated! Yes, it's an old part of our city (not very old compared to Dublin, of course), the architecture is drab in places and some of the shops are not very fashionable, but I don't want you to get the idea that the neighborhood is falling down. It isn't.

Still, visitors to Hollywood are often surprised at how unglamorous it is. "Hollywood" is an industry (the movie industry) and it has expanded way beyond the boundaries of the neighborhood of the same name. Sadly, parts of that neighborhood have been forgotten.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

Hitckennedy ... You are so right ... Hollywood isn't the greatest area to stay ... And neither is Downtown. There are inexpensive motels in Santa Monica, Venice, Westwood etc.

10. Re: Hollywood Orchid Suites suitable base for LA visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:18