We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long beach hotel advice please

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newtownards, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Long beach hotel advice please

Hi

After a disaster with my booking agent booking us into a hotel on the wrong port (San Pedro) instead of Long Beach to connect with our cruise, it seems I will have to rebook myself.

I have looked at the Maya hotel and the Courtyard downtown.

Anyone have any ideas which would be best? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jo :-)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

I have stayed at the Hotel Maya (A DoubleTree by Hilton) and liked it.

The Varden is a highly rated boutique Hotel. Also the Hyatt just took over "the Pike", and both are good options that are central. I love the Maya, but it is a bit isolated, located near the Queen Mary.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32648-d1144330…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32648-d1370955…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,802 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

The Hotel Maya is great for the cruise part because it is right there and next to the Queen Mary, but you'd have to ride the Passport Bus the couple of miles to the Pine Ave/Pike area where the shops and restaurants are.

I don't like the location of the Courtyard. My #1 place in DTLB would be Hyatt Pike.

thepikelongbeach.hyatt.com

The Renaissance Long Beach Hotel and then The Varden would be my next two.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

I'm with Scott: the Hyatt Pike or the Renaissance. Here's are Trip Advisor reviews for these properties: (link and SCROLL DOWN for reviews)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32648-d1370955…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32648-d77634-R…

Nice centrally-located hotels within walking distance of attractions or use the free Passport bus that pulls up near each of these hotels.

Glad you're staying in Long Beach. I was in San Pedro yesterday (visited the USS. Iowa -- awesome) but LB is easier to manage without a car.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 20:43
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

San Pedro and Long Beach are next to one another, and the cruise terminals in each are 5 or 6 miles apart, so you *could* stay in San Pedro without being too far away, though I do tend to think Long Beach is a better area to be without a car.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,942 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

There is a free Long Beach shuttle

www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

just to mention how to manage Long Beach easily without a car.

Newtownards, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

Great info guys!

Can I ask..... If I opt for one of the centrally positioned hotels Hyatt Pike etc, Can I use the free shuttle to get to the port to board my cruise or not? Or am I right in thinking some hotels offer a free bus?

The cruise is on the Carnival Imagination.

For those who were following my tussle with my booking agent on a previous post..... She has not admitted that she booked the wrong hotel but she has given me $65 back.?!? Best I'm going to get I think.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

Yes. here's the route for the Passport bus:

www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx…

The Cruiseport is at the bottom of the map. The Pike is near the center of the map (to the southeast of the words "Long Beach" on the map.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

So long as you can handle your own luggage, the free Passport has a stop next to the Queen Mary, which is the ship and other options, including the Carnival Cruise Port. In fact, of you get there early, you actually check in on the Queen Mary. (That Close) (The Main Customs center is in the "Dome" which used to host the Spruce Goose, and now split in two, one half for Carnival, the other half hosts events for the public and is used for Movie/TV filming.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,802 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

Yes, the map from HopSkipJump is really helpful, you can see where the bus runs.

I think it is worth the effort to be in the nicer area of the Hyatt Pike. I like the Hotel Maya a lot, but I'd only use it if I was arriving very late the night before a cruise. Other than that I think the advantages of being in the Pine Ave area outweigh the advantages of the Maya's location for the cruise ship.

Newtownards, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long beach hotel advice please

Again great info from you guys!

We are definitely going to go for the Hyatt Pike or the Renaissance on your advice.

Plus Hubby is celebrating a "large" birthday this year :-) so we will spoil ourselves a little.

He's a great lover of seafood, large prawns, lobster etc

Can anyone personally recommend a nice restaurant? I think someone mentioned a fish market but I don't know if it's like the one in Barcelona that has restaurants.