We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please give me suggestions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Topic
Please give me suggestions.

Hi All,

I am trying to fulfil my wish that I would do "Around the world trip" once in my lifetime.

I have been unable to travel for few years as I was looking after my mum who passed away recently.

I am arriving late in February solo from London so I have booked Custom Hotel in LAX but then later, I booked the 3 day Take Tour going early morning the next day to San Francisco etc.

Now I am going to arrange a taxi for $60 to take me early morning from Custom hotel (which I cannot get refund ) to China town citizen centre for pick up for the tour at 6.40am. I guess I have to pay extra for rushing with hotel booking in excitement and when I should have really booked a hotel Downtown.

When I return on Monday at 6.40 pm, I plan to take either super shuttle or flybus (near Union station). Will it be safe for lady alone to walk to station from the China centre?

I am also taking the telephone numbers for super shuttle so I can call them to pick me up when I am near the centre. I will take free hotel shuttle back to Custom hotel from the airport. This will save me few $ instead of taking taxi back to hotel. I do not mind the ride as I am not doing much that evening.

Next morning should I do the HO HO bus or LA one day tour of LA? Hoho bus does pass

Custom hotel and I do get Custom hotel pick up with LA Tours.

I am catching a flight to Auckland at 22.00 pm.

Please I appreciate all the suggestions and help with my trip

Many Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Custom Hotel
Custom Hotel
111 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,139 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please give me suggestions.

I'm confused. You arrive in LA, but immediately go on a 3 day tour to San Francisco? And you're staying at the Custom on both sides of that tour? So you have no time in LA except the one day you return and then leave for NZ?

Please clarify, spelling out days (ie Monday arrive Tuesday leave at 6:40). Thanks

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please give me suggestions.

Instead of taking a taxi to Chinatown for $60, if you want to save money, take the Custom Hotel's shuttle back to the LAX terminals. Proceed to the ground transportation area for arrivals and from there take the FlyAway bus to Union Station for $8 (prices increasing by a dollar or two soon so may be $9 or 10 when you are here). From Union Station you can basically walk to Chinatown, or take the Gold Line light rail train one stop to the Chinatown station for a couple of dollars. Or even take a taxi the rest of the way which should come out in total to a lot less than $60. I'm not sure exactly where you mean by " China town citizen centre" but I'm guessing it would be in walking distance to either Union Station or the Chinatown Gold Line station.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 16:47
Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please give me suggestions.

Thank you EllebeinLA,

I am sorry but here is my itinerary.

Friday arrive LA in February,

Sat go for tour, (San Francisco, Santa Barbara Solvang and Yosemite park)

Mon arrive from Tour

Tues I have whole day in LA as my flight is at 22.00 pm

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please give me suggestions.

Thank you MachThree for the great suggestion.

The first shuttle from Custom hotel to LAx is at 5 am and it is 15 mins ride. I was just worried that I might not be able to get the fly bus in time for 6.40 am.

The picking point for the tour is Chinatown Senior Citizen Center 600 N Broadway Los Angeles, CA 90012

which shows as about 10-15 mins walk.

I have written to Custom hotel and they said they will store my luggage while I am away for tour.

I do want to see all the places even if it is briefly so I know which places I like to visit again.

Mentioned in this post
Custom Hotel
Custom Hotel
111 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please give me suggestions.

When I return on Monday at 6.40 pm, I plan to take flybus (near Union station). Will it be safe for lady alone to walk to the union station from the China Senior Citizen centre? or should I get a taxi to union station?

On Tuesday should I do the HO HO bus or LA one day tour of LA?

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,474 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please give me suggestions.

Your second post is more confusing then the first.....

Let's try to beak this down.

You arrive Friday... What time? Are you expecting to see any of LA on that Friday?

Saturday you go for a tour to "San Francisco, Santa Barbara Solvang and Yosemite park)". Please explain this. Are you spending the night somewhere? Are you just driving through Yosemite and looking out the window?

Monday you arrive back in LA from your tour. What time? Are you expecting to see any of LA on that Monday?

Why do you want to store your luggage for the tour? Won't you need it for the 3 days?

Please help us here....

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please give me suggestions.

Dr Z , Thank you for reply.

Ok let me explain My itinerary more clearly.

Friday arrive late evening in LA in February rest in hotel

Sat Go for the 3 day tour which includes 2 nights stay at hotels (San Francisco, Santa Barbara Solvang and Yosemite park) pick up at 6.40 am Chinatown Senior Citizen Center

Mon Arrive from the 3 day Tour at 6.40 pm Chinatown Senior Citizen Center

Tues I have the whole day in LA as my flight is at 22.00 pm so Yes I have only one day to sightsee LA.

Regarding luggage, I will take my backpack for my 3 days tour and I will leave my suitcase in the hotel because it will be easy for me to walk to union station from Chinatown Senior Citizen Center.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,474 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please give me suggestions.

OK.. Thank you for clarifying.

It appears you really only have one day to sightsee in LA. A Hop On / Hop Off tour or something similar is a valid idea. You CAN take it direct from the Custom Hotel. Check with the website as there may be limited times for this.

starlinetours.com/santa-monica-tour-SCT.asp

My main concern is this Northern California tour you are taking. It seems like this is a major part of your trip....you may get more value by flying into San Francisco (SFO) instead of LA and spend some quality days there instead of a VERY rushed tour. I would venture to say that you will see SF through the windows of a bus, which is very unfortunate.

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
Custom Hotel
Custom Hotel
111 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
California
California
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please give me suggestions.

Thank you Dr Z for your help.

I do not mind rushing the places this time and seeing the highlights. When I have more time I will visit again and spend more time at places which I like.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 00:12
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,139 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please give me suggestions.

I also don't understand the 3 day tour. It really makes no sense. Do you understand the distances involved? May this comparison will help you understand our confusion. It's like me saying "I land in London at night, then at 6AM the next day go on a 3 day bus tour of Paris Munich Glasgow, then back to London and have the day to see all of London.

Do you see why we don't understand? LA to Santa Barbara is two hours, Solvang is very close by. Then San Francisco and Yosemite are about as far away as Dublin is from London - by bus and boat. And you want to do this in a circle in 3 days???? Can you cancel this tour? Is this your idea of seeing the sights - from the window of a bus?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California