We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

I have not been to L.A. in 20 years but will travel there with my kids in July 2014. We will stay in Redondo Beach and use our rental car to drive to Universal Studios on a Wednesday (3rd July). We would like to be at Universal Studios when the park opens at 9AM or shortly thereafter. How can we best avoid traffic jams on our way from South Bay to North Hollywood? What would L.A. Traffic Experts recommend? After visiting Universal studios we would like to drive up to Griffith Park Observatory before dusk. Any driving and dining advice for this area? Finally, how would you drive from Griffith Park back to South Bay after 8 pm on that day (the day before Independence Day)? Many thanks in advance for your advice!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

You can't avoid traffic since Redondo Beach is southwest of the entire city of Los Angeles so on the day that you'll be visiting Universal Studios, you'll be driving into and then across the very center of the city of Los Angeles during rush hour. Why are you staying in Redondo Beach?

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

Thank you for your response. For my family (first time California visitors) I needed 2 hotel rooms for several nights and found affordable accommodation in Redondo Beach. I wanted to stay near the ocean as we will spend some time in the desert (Mojave Preserve, Las Vegas, Death Valley etc.) after leaving L.A. Aside from visiting Universal Studios we will pretty much stick around Pacific Coast Highway while in L.A. Is traffic still bad if I leave Redondo Beach a bit later for Universal Studios, say at 9:30am? Should I take the Harbor Freeway? Or is there an alternative? In my initial post I mixed up the days of the week, we plan to visit Universal Studios on Thursday (and not on Wednesday), July 3rd.

PS: After hours on the internet I found an interesting dining option in Beachwood Canyon near Universal Studios.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

I'd suggest leaving at 7am from Redondo for Universal ... And getting breakfast near Universal. Even at that time you'll be surprised how many cars are on the road.

Driving back from Grffith Park around 8pm should be o.k. ... Just keep in mind that the 405 freeway around LAX is always busy.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

I don't think you can avoid it at all - you'll just have to deal with it. It's a holiday driving day, everyone will be on the road getting out of town. Most hotels in Redondo Beach are not at the beach. Which hotel did you choose and can you cancel it?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

I think I would leave at 6:30 am.

You can easily check the location of your hotel and get driving directions and times at Google Maps (maps.google.com).

Most are on PCH and are walking distance (a few blocks) to the beach.

You might want to check some of the suites hotels in the Manhattan Beach area, might be able to get away with just a single room (eg the Residence Inn). They are a bit farther from the ocean than RB, though.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,030 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

First off, with July 4th being on a Friday, I'm going to predict that many, many Angelinos will leave town for a long weekend and do that on Thursday the 3rd. I think it's going to be a light rush hour. Leave early anyway so you can make the most out of your Universal visit.

I like to use Google Maps to plot my trip. While it's not always perfect, it does the job. Here's the written instructions from Google Maps, but I recommend you do it again so you can see your route on the map. Plug in your exact Redondo Beach address and use Griffith Park Observatory as your start point.

Griffith Observatory

2800 E Observatory Ave

Los Angeles, CA 90027

1. Head northeast on Mt Hollywood Dr toward Western Canyon Rd

0.2 mi

2. Continue onto N Vermont Canyon Rd

0.7 mi

3. Continue onto N Vermont Ave

2.9 mi

4. Turn left to merge onto US-101 S

2.6 mi

5. Take the I-110 S/Harbor Fwy exit toward San Pedro

0.3 mi

6. Merge onto CA-110 S/Harbor Fwy

2.1 mi

7. Continue onto I-110 S/Harbor Fwy S

11.7 mi

8. Take the 190th St/I-405 N/I-405 S exit toward San Pedro

0.3 mi

9. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for 190th St

0.4 mi

10. Turn right onto W 190th St

5.2 mi

11. Turn left onto N Beryl St

1.1 mi

After Griffith Park, you might want to stop at Hollywood and Highland Center (park there) and walk a block or two of Hollywood Blvd. Alternatively (or afterward), visit The Grove and Original Farmers Market for dinner. There are many, many food stands in the Farmers Market, then you choose a table in the center. Sit-down restaurants are in the adjacent Grove.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

I would agree with leaving Redondo at around 6:30AM and having breakfast in Hollywood at someplace like The Waffle Hollywood or Mel's Diner before heading up to Universal.

Here is the route from USH to Griffith Observatory to Redondo.

http://goo.gl/maps/JFKqG

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

How much are you paying for each room? Can you cancel your reservation? If so, look in manhattan beach, marina del rey or venice.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

July 3d is not one of those days when you can avoid traffic by leaving Redondo at 10am. Lots of people will take the day off before the long weekend, and start their trips. They will all be waiting until after 10am to hit the freeways. So it will never really let up much, all day. You'll need to either leave Redondo at 6:15am and have breakfast near Universal, or be content to spend a lot of time in traffic. Even the 8pm return will be a mess because you're heading towards LAX which will be a zoo that night.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Angeles Traffic Advice needed

I would check out the Residence Inn/LAX Manhattan Beach on Sepulveda Blvd. They have one and two bedroom suites and studios and include breakfast. I'm on the road all the time by 9:30 am for Santa Monica or LA, etc. and find the bulk of the traffic over with.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Here is the route I have for you, the way we go to Universal in 45 minutes. It is much easier getting to places from MB, because we are near two freeways. You would spend much more time in traffic in Redondo. Same for returning, the 105 west headed toward LAX is much faster than taking surface streets.

http://mapq.st/1etLgkP