We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in West Hollywood

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation in West Hollywood

Hi everyone.

I'm planning a 2 day stop over in LA in June.

After reading up, we've decided on a West Hollywood location.

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but WH is a fairly large area. Which side exactly would you recommend? Between Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd closer to Plumber Park/N La Brae Ave? Or over near the Sunset Strip area, closer to the Beverly Hill side of things?

What we're looking for in a locality:

- We will have no car, so will need to depend on walking/public transport. Being central is important.

- Love the idea of being able to stroll within a couple of blocks distance and find great places to eat. (Preferably not expensive, just delicious.)

- We're not interested in nightclubs, but would still like interesting places to visit at night - theatres, live music, pubs etc.

- Shopping isn't a priority, but a stroll past the main shopping areas out of interest is probably in order.

- We would like to feel safe and comfortable out at night, a reason why we are looking into WH, and probably stay away from late nights near Hollywood Boulevard, as I hear that it can get a bit seedy.

Out of our 2 days we are considering spending one of them at Universal Studios as it comes highly recommended. Would you agree with this? This leaves one day to explore the Hollywood area, stroll down the major boulevards, maybe do a bus tour, spot some celebrities etc. We will probably miss Santa Monica unfortunately, but the beach itself isn't too much of an attraction for us as we live near one at home anyway.

By the way, we're probably looking at doing an Airbnb place or similar, rather than a hotel as it will probably work out quite a bit cheaper for the 4 of us who will be travelling. Budget probably around $200/night for the 4 of us. Preferably under $250.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

Without a car, you want to stay near the main Boulevards like Santa Monica, Wilshire, Sunset. The further west you are, the prettier it is.

I personally wouldn't waste a day at a theme park like Universal, but that's a matter of taste.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

It depends a bit but basically for bus connections being near Santa Monica Blvd. would be the best place in West Hollywood - metro buses 4 and 704 run on that street and are major east/west bus lines. Metro buses 2 and 302 run on Sunset Blvd. but tend to be a little less useful. I would tend to prefer the western part of West Hollywood - say west of Fairfax Ave.. Big shopping is just outside of West Hollywood at The Beverly Center mall and The Grove shopping center and a lot of boutiques on Melrose Ave. etc in between them. Restaurants abound in West Hollywood.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,729 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

You've said a lot so I'll try to see if I can respond to all of it. I live in West Hollywood and am very familiar with it as well as Hollywood.

For lack of a better way to describe your question, let's say that you're considering whether to stay in the eastern part of West Hollywood (that would be near Plummer Park) or the western part of West Hollywood (that would be in and around the Sunset Strip).

I understand that you will have no car, that you plan to visit Universal Studios on one day and Hollywood proper (or take a tour) on the other. Please understand, first of all, that central Hollywood and eastern West Hollywood are about 5 minutes apart by taxi or bus so in terms of 'getting around', the two areas aren't much different. Even the western part of West Hollywood is only about 10 minutes from central Hollywood so in terms of convenience, there isn't a significant difference between the three areas.

When you say that you want to 'be central', however, consider this. If you want to be central as far as Hollywood and Universal is concerned, then staying in Hollywood would be THE BEST option although, again, West Hollywood would be a very close second.

As far as 'strolling a couple of blocks and finding great, inexpensive places to eat' is concerned, this is where the three neighborhoods start to differentiate themselves a bit. Let's take a closer look:

a. The western part of WeHo (as West Hollywood is affectionately referred to) is largely composed of two areas:

i. The Sunset Strip (running along Sunset Bl)

ii. The area along Santa Monica Bl

The Sunset Strip is a major nightlife area, packed with high-rise 4-star hotels, upmarket boutique shopping, live music venues, bars and lounges. There are lots of dining options here -- few of them are inexpensive (although there are some but I wouldn't say that the Sunset Strip area is the place to stay for 'great, delicious, inexpensive places to eat'. It's a 'tourist neighborhood' and, as such, is not really inexpensive.

The area of the western part of West Hollywood that runs along Santa Monica Bl is, largely, a gay community and there are lots of inexpensive, mid-range and expensive dining options here. All are welcome!

The eastern part of West Hollywood (which covers a fairly large area of maybe a mile (1.6 km) in one direction and 1/2 mile (.8 km) in the other is largely a 'residential area' packed with homes and apartments and some condo buildings. There are some dining options here, many of them inexpensive, but they're kind of spread apart. The exception would be along Sunset Bl itself (but to the east of the Sunset Strip portion of Sunset Bl -- essentially on Sunset Bl but east of Fairfax Av).

This is actually the western part of Hollywood. This area is 'up late', well lit and somewhat compact as far as lots of dining options within a few blocks of one another. There are some pricier places in this area but there are also less expensive places, like El Compadre (Mexican), and Bossa Nova (Brazillian plus other menu items)

Hollywood, meanwhile, has the highest concentration of restaurants in all price ranges, is also, 'up late' and is packed with people (tourists and locals).

Let's look at the nightlife in these 3 areas.

1. The Sunset Strip is a major nightlife area with bars/lounges (what you blokes call 'pubs'), and world-famous live music venues like the Roxy, House of Blues, etc, etc, There are no theaters, here (live theater or movie theaters) except for the Sundance Cinemas which is an 'indie movie theater chain' that serves food and alcohol. It's located just beyond the eastern edge of West Hollywood on Sunset Bl at the corner of Crescent Heights Bl.

2. The eastern part of West Hollywood has virtually no nightlife as it is a residential area. Again, it's a 5 minute taxi ride to the Western part of West Hollywood or to central Hollywood.

3. Hollywood itself is another major nightlife area, packed with bars, lounges, live music venues, and large dance clubs. There is also the Chinese Theaters (the big one and a few smaller cinemas) as well as some 'live theater' but that is to the southeast of central Hollywood (about 10 minutes by taxi).

Shopping in the three areas:

a. The Sunset Strip has an area called Sunset Plaza with a handful of upmarket boutique shops along with an H&M store.

b. The eastern part of West Hollywood has no shopping

c. Hollywood, itself, has the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall (which is a mainstream shopping mall, not dissimilar to most malls in the U.S. except to the extent that it's on the small side -- no department store -- just shops, mostly 'chain stores'). There is 'local shopping' but it's nothing special.

No matter where you stayed, I would recommend transferring to either Melrose Av for boutique shops (upmarket and mid-range) and beyond to the Beverly Grove area for major shopping. These areas are between 10 and 20 minutes by taxi/bus from any of the neighborhoods you're considering. Once you reach Melrose or Beverly Grove, there is strolling to your heart's content.

As far as safety is concerned, you have NOTHING to worry about in any of these 3 areas. Hollywood Bl, at night is perfectly safe. It's packed with people and 'up late'. Is it seedy? Well, I'm not sure how to respond to that. Many visitors to Hollywood are surprised at how unglamorous and visually unappealing Hollywood is. They expect there to be upmarket shops, and expensively dressed people driving expensive cars. Hollywood looks nothing like that. Except for the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall, the area is pretty drab, architecturally-speaking. The buildings (circa 1920s and 1930s) are mostly drab and tan. The shopping, except for the mall is uninteresting -- cheap, unappealing clothes and other wares. The area is not unsafe but it has an older 'urban feel' to it whereas the Sunset Strip is more modern and more attractive.

With AirBnB, be careful to book properties that are near the major streets like Sunset Bl or Santa Monica Bl. There are listings 'up in the hills' that wouldn't work for you without a car.

Bottom line: none of the three areas have ALL of what you're looking for but, as stated, the three areas are quite close to one another.

Another option is to stay in Beverly Grove. This neighborhood is bounded on the west by the massive Beverly Center (upmarket) mall and the city of Beverly Hills and on the east by the Grove (mid-range mall) and the Farmers Market. Lots of strolling is possible between these extremes (about 1.25 miles / 2 km) with shops and restaurants of all kinds along 3rd Street and, to a lesser extent, along Beverly Bl.

There are no nightclubs and no 'stand alone' bars but lots of the restaurants have bars inside of them,

It's a 5 to 10 minute taxi ride to West Hollywood from Beverly Grove and a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride to central Hollywood from here. One hotel option is the Elan Hotel -- a 3-star property located within a 3 minute walk of the Beverly Center and other local shopping and dining and a 10 minute bus ride to the Grove and Farmers Market.

It's a taxi ride of less than 10 minutes to the Sunset Strip and a ride of 15 to 20 minutes to Hollywood.

Info about the hotel is here: http://www.elanhotel.com/

Reviews (and additional booking options) are here (link and SCROLL DOWN for reviews):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223041-…

If it were me, I'd stay here.

Another option in Beverly Grove is the Farmers Daughter Hotel, a more affordable 3-star across the street from the Farmers Market and the Grove. Buses pull up nearby that head to Hollywood (15 to 20 minutes). Info at:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d119479-…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,664 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

I would not stay on the Sunset Strip without a car.

My choices would be near the Grove (Fairfax Blvd & 3rd St) or near the Beverly Center (La Cienaga & 3rd St). I think La Brea is too far east.

If I only had two days, I would not waste one on Universal Studios. It would something I would do on a day four or five of a six day trip.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,729 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

Hotels in the areas that Scott is referring to (which I know as Beverly Grove) can be found in the tripadvisor 'hotel section' for Los Angeles. Once you've linked to this section, select 'central Los Angeles' from the 'neighborhoods' drop-down menu for a list of these hotels along with hotel reviews and quotes for rooms.

Chicago, IL
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

Has anyone rented the WSt Hollywood Cottage on Airbnb https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/566024? Is this a safe location for a family with two young kids?

Thanks!

Edited: 03 February 2014, 23:57
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,729 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

Collins, I just responded to your other thread:

tripadvisor.com/…55822690

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

Hopskipjump,

This isn't my question you responded to but great information! Thank you !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

Wow! Thanks so much for all this information!

It will help very much. Appreciated.

10. Re: Accommodation in West Hollywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:19