We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

Hi,

We wanted to go to Santa Barbara for 1 day - Sunday Feb 16 - but just learned about I-405 closure. We'll be staying in LA for one night (in MarVista) and next morning we planned to leave our luggage at laxluggagestorage and to take the Santa Barbara Airbus at 9am from LAX and then back from SB to LAX at 6:20 pm (arrival in LAX: 8:45pm, our flight from LAX is on 10:55pm). Now I see that it's probably a bad idea. Although only the northbound I-405 will be partially closed, everybody is talking about another "Carmageddon".

My questions:

1) Is it a really bad idea? :)))

2) Any alternatives to Santa Barbara - for people who don't drive and have 12 hours before their flight ?

(Reason why we want to go there: it supposed to be beautiful and relaxed, right?)

I know that we can take Amtrak but google says that travel time from LAX to SB using public transportation and Amtrak is about 5 hours. We thought about flying there but it's crazy to spend $400 just to take a stroll...

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

I would stick with the Santa Barbara Airbus (assuming SB is what you want to do, personally I'd stick with Santa Monica), they will know the way around any problem and it is on a Sunday.

Your biggest worry is coordination with laxluggagestorage on dropping and getting back your luggage.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 19:41
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

Maybe contact the Airbus people and see what impact they anticipate during that weekend? They might go an alternative route like Highway 1 but that may be slow going too due to the overall traffic situation from the 405 closure. I think there's more danger of a true "carmageddon" this time around since there hasn't been nearly as much publicity for that weekend's closures as there was for the two weekends when the freeway was completely shut down - encouraging people to stay home and not to drive, etc.

Alternatively, you could go somewhere like Manhattan Beach via taxi which is close to LAX and has a little bit of that small, beach town feel to it. Since its south of LAX and you can get there without the 405 hopefully the traffic between the two will not be so bad.

Also, unless you have a specific reason for staying in Mar Vista, sounds to me like you'd be better off at an airport hotel, as you could leave your luggage there when you head out for the day and easily pick it up that night, without bothering with LAX Luggage Storage which is expensive etc.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 19:52
Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

Thank you for your reply! I hope that SB Airbus knows how to deal with this situation (I tried to contact them but they didn't answer).

What can be tricky with laxluggagestorage? Do you have a negative experience with them? (I've learned about this company here on tripadvisor). We'll only have a carry-on suitcase and but don't want to carry it around for the whole day...

As for Santa Monica, I'm not a big fan of it...sorry :)) it's feels very urban and we wanted to escape from the big city :)) Probably Redondo Beach or even Palos Verdes but there is not a lot of things to do there.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,610 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

I. too, would call the bus company. But, why not drive yourselves? Sunday along the Pacific Coast Highway is a real treat. Drive from Santa Monica to Oxnard, where you pick up the 101 to Santa Barbara. It's a beautiful drive, great scenery. Get an early start, not because of traffic, but because the light on the water is prettier than mid-day.

I like Mar Vista, it's a nice, residential area, tree lined streets and well kept homes. I'd much prefer to stay there than at the airport, but for the last night, it might make sense in terms of luggage storage. A rental car will be your luggage storage, too, so consider the cost and inconvenience of luggage storage weighed against a one day car rental.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

LAX Luggage Storage is almost an urban legend at this point - we've mention it on Trip Advisor a lot over the years since its the only practical way to store luggage at the airport without a car or a hotel room, but its expensive and in the entire time we've been mentioning it, we've never heard back from a single person who's actually used it.

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

Thank you MachThree, I agree with you in terms of how much publicity is put into this event now! We've a non-refundable apartment booking in MarVista (did that before we learned about closure and about the fact that one cannot check the luggage at LAX earlier than 4 hour in advance...)

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

PlumeriaD, it's hard to believe but we don't drive :)))

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

I found a topic where 2 people mention using laxluggage...3 years ago ;)

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k4313130…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

>>>What can be tricky with laxluggagestorage? <<<

They are not onsite at LAX. Here is the pertinent comment from the link you posted and what I am talking about.

>>>Just allow 20-30 minutes for them to get the bag/bags to you after calling.<<<

Assuming the SB Airbus gets you to LAX to the terminal you want at 8:45PM (not gets to LAX at that time) you still have to wait 20-30 more minutes for your luggage to arrive, so now it is 9:15PM which gives you less time for the 10:55PM flight.

You have two things out of your control the bus and your luggage. If you are leaving from Terminal 8 and the Santa Barbara Airbus gets to Terminal 1 at 8:45PM, it might take 20 minutes for the SB Airbus to get to Terminal 8, then you still have luggage to deal with.

lawa.org/uploadedFiles/…20Map.pdf

Now, there are work arounds, like you could get off at Terminal 1, call the luggage place to deliver to your terminal and then walk to the terminal or use the shuttle buses, but these are the things you have to consider.

lawa.org/uploadedFiles/…20Map.pdf

Edited: 06 February 2014, 00:36
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1-day trip LAX-Santa Barbara and I-405 closure

I would really suggest sticking closer to LAX on Sunday. You could monitor the website though, sometimes they finish early.

http://www.metro.net/projects/i-405/