We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ventura Los Angeles by train

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ventura Los Angeles by train

We are travelling by car from SFO to Phoenix (Routes: 101 + I-10). We would like to visit LA for one day. In order to avoid going to LA by car we consider staying in Ventura or Santa Barbara and take a train to LA. It takes approx 2 hrs one direction so we can spend some 8 hrs in LA. Does it sound sensible? If yes, should we take a hop on- hop off bus in LA? Again- concerned about traffic.

Thanks!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

A day trip into LA via train is practical if your itinerary works via public transit. The downtown leg of the hoho tour might be a good fit.

What sights are you hoping to see?

That said, a day trip from Ventura via car is entirely plausible as well. Again, what is your itinerary. Your concerns about traffic seem overblown.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,210 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

I'm not seeing how you're going to save much time since driving is faster than taking a train because you're heading into L.A. , going back to, say Santa Barbara and then reversing direction again to head to Phoenix. Even in the worst traffic, the WORST amount of delay would be an hour. It hardly seems sensible to transfer back and forth and then back again -- which will waste a lot more time.

The Hop On, Hop Off (HoHo) covers a lot of territory but it moves VERY SLOWLY so any time you save by taking the train (which, as I've said, isn't isn't really true), will be lost on the HoHo tour since there is "layover time' between each loop and the onward buses run only once every 20 or 30 minutes -- so, lots of wasted time.

What specific sites are you interested in visiting?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

Hi there, thank you!

we heard terrible storries about the traffic to and from LA. It is not that here in the Netherlands we are not used it....but still.

What would you suggest?

Our son wants to see Hollywood, beaches and we the Chinatown. So just to get an impression on the city as we have only a day.

T.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

To be honest, San Francisco's Chinatown is muc better than LA's so if you are going to have a chance to see Chinatown in SF, may want to pass on LA. In any case, the train would arrive at Union Station in downtown LA. From there you can take the Gold Line light rail train one stop to the Chinatown station, then return to Union Station. Then to see Hollywood and Chinatown, take the Red Line subway to the Hollywood / Highland station where you'll see the walk of fame, hollywood sign, and the Chinese Theater. From that same intersection, take bus 217 or 780 west on Hollywood Blvd. The bus will make its way to Fairfax Ave. where it will head south. When it reaches Fairfax Ave. and Santa Monica Blvd., exit the bus and at that same intersection, board bus 704 heading west. Exit this bus at 4th St. and Broadway Ave. which will place you in the middle of the touristy area of Santa Monica, near the pier, the beach and the 3rd st. Promenade. You can then take Big Blue Bus #10 from Santa Monica back to Union Station where you can get your train back to Ventura or Santa Barbara.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

I'm confused as I'm not too clear on your itinerary.....

Here's what I'm reading: you leave SF and work your way down the 101. You get a hotel/motel in Santa Barbara or Ventura and the next day take the train to LA to see the city via the Hop On / Hop Off, right? Then, you go back to SB/Ventura and the next day proceed to Phoenix?

Is that right?

If so, don't do that but consider this.

Leave SF and proceed to Santa Barbara. Spend the night there. The next day proceed to Downtown LA and park at Union Station. From there you have access to public transit and you can take the Gold Line to Chinatown, the Red Line to Hollywood, and the bus to Santa Monica, among many other places. Also, walking from Union Station can bring you to a number of places, like Olvera Street.

When done in LA, retrieve your car and proceed to Palm Springs. Leave LA around 8 or so and you will avoid traffic. Stay in Palm Springs and the next day proceed to Phoenix.

Dr. Z

Edited: 09 February 2014, 17:17
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

Sure you can do it but I would not. I would drive to LA and plan to spend the night there and head to Phoenix the next AM. You can drive down the coast from Santa Barbara or Ventura to Malibu, then Santa Monica. From there head inland to Hollywood and Highland area for the walk of fame, Hollywood sign, etc. You can spend the night in that area so I would check in to a hotel in that area and drop bags. You can pick up tours from the H and H area or get on public transportation. Traffic is not as bad as people claim but you can drive in and then use public transport from H and H.

7. Re: Ventura Los Angeles by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:17