We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NBA Game start time - what time get there?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
NBA Game start time - what time get there?

Hi all!

Can anyone please tell me how long prior to a start time of NBA game should we plan to arrive at the Staples Centre?

We are planning on seeing the Clippers v Sacramento game on 12th April at 12.30pm (so is 12.30 the actual start time of the game??!! - we have never been to a game so sorry if this is a dumb question!!!)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

OK, TV rules all sports in the USA, so 12:30 PM means the start of the TV show, by the time they do the intro and a few commercials, the tip off is usually around 12:37 PM.

But in the stands, you have the players introduction, National Anthem and other pre-game activities. I would like to be past the turnstiles around Noon to find my seat, grab a drink/bite to eat, etc., maybe even a bit earlier.

FYI, be prepared for a blow out, the Clippers are one of the best teams in the league right now, and Sacramento is at the bottom of the standings. But still, enjoy the game, but you might want to leave a bit early....

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

Thanks Darkbeer!

I didn't realize that Sacramento were at the bottom haha!! (We are not all that familiar with it all!!)

We were mainly choosing this particular game based on it being a DAY game which we thought might be easier and safer to get to and from travelling with young kids.....

Maybe we should look at the 7.30pm night game on the 9th versus Oklahoma which now that I have googled the "standings" I see they too are one of the top teams??!!

(But having said that, going to a night game is only if we can find reliable and safe transport to and from Anaheim - as per my other post that you have replied on!)

(By the way we are only in LA from the 7th to the 13th April.......)

3. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 16:05
Edited: 12 February 2014, 16:05
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,530 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

>>>So some other options that are easier to get to than the Staples Center in Downtown LA...

Err those options are not Basketball games which is what the OP is asking about.

Why are you not staying IN LA to see La. The Thunder game will be much more exciting than a Kings game and if you want to see basketball, just as that poster from Tustin agreed to in another post, let no one stop you. There is a lot more to do and see outside the confines of Anaheim which by the way is NOT LA. Anaheim is a city in orange county and LA is North of Anaheim. Two different cities in two different counties

LA 2nd largest city in the US with worldclass Airport, great 5 star hotels and World Class museums,

Anaheim -- popular place to visit just because of the great Disney Parks but not as great as the Theme Park Capital of the World -- Orlando

Edited: 12 February 2014, 08:38
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,530 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

>>>(Scary to think about, but looks like if I make it through escrow, my new house and Home office (upstairs) will have a great view of the Angel and Disneyland Fireworks, as I will be about 4 miles from the park, and the window is faced right towards the two locations.. (and 3 miles to Knott's Berry Farm), the House Inspection for problems and defects is Wednesday AM...hope it goes well). 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, and lots of backyard... not cheap, but after months of looking, I don't want to have to start again...

this is a travel forum and is intended to help people with their travel releated questions.

Purchasing of homes and Escrow are not Travel related items and per the TA forums guidelines are considered off topic chatter. Please use a blog or other forums outside of TA to discuss personal issues.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

Went to the Clippers game last Friday night. Got to our seats at about 7:25 for the 7:30 start - we were walking to our seats as they were playing the National Anthem. Made it in time to see introduction of the starting lineups. Game itself started within a few minutes of 7:30 - probably 7:35 or thereabouts. If you get there a bit earlier you'd be able to watch the teams warming up, practicing shooting and layups etc.

From Anaheim, a day game would be easier in terms of getting transportation back to Anaheim after the game. For a night game that gets difficult unless you have your own car or want to take a taxi which is expensive back to Anaheim. For sure versus Oklahoma the game should be more competitive than against the Kings, but even Clippers vs. Kings would be fun if it turns into a blowout.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

If the game published start time is 12:30PM, I'd get to the arena no later than 12:00PM, and maybe a bit before that to give you time to buy food and drinks, maybe souvenirs, and catch some of the warm ups.

I can not imagine any one suggesting a very minor sport like arena football as a substitute for an NBA game. Even if the Kings are the bottom of the standings their players are still elites in in the basketball world. Arena football players are the ones who couldn't make it into the NFL, so a definite step down.

An Angel game or a Ducks game would be a reasonable substitute for going up to LA, but not arena football.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

Go to www.espn.com or www.si.com, click on NBA, and standings.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

The game against the Thunder will be a better game as the Thunder are a very exciting team with one of the top players, Kevin Durant. You will not have a problem getting to the game on public transportation but you will either need to leave the game early to get public transport back or arrange a private shuttle or take a taxi. Last Amtrak is 10:10 pm. But it will be easier to go to a day game,

I would get there about 1 hour early to go to the team store to shop, buy your lunch and be in your seat to watch warm ups.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NBA Game start time - what time get there?

Thanks everyone for your input, we will make sure we plan to arrive at least 1 hour before start time.

I think we will try to go to the Thunder game at 7.30pm as it sounds like it will be the most exciting game to see (but I'm sure we will enjoy the Kings one too!)

We will be using a private driver so hopefully that should solve any issues with transport at night after the game.