We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown LA

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown LA

Hi there

Will be staying downtown LA (1 week) for an art workshop.

Have found two good places to stay.

1. W 7th street, near S Spring st near the historic center

2. Traction avenue in the "arts district" just off S Alameda

I will be working all day, and won't go out that much, but still looking for a nice funky vibe to people watch over a good cuppa in the morning, and an ok spot to walk round. (though I prolly wont walk round on my own at night)

Help with decision would be appreciated

Thanks Nat

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown LA

7th and Spring is in the middle of everything - especially people watching.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown LA

Suggest you read the reviews for Stay on Main, this will give you an idea of the neighborhood at 7 th and Spring ( look for comments about noise and homeless presence, and women being uncomfortable at night).

Do you know the address or cross streets fir the Arts District place? There are some restaurants near 3rd. It can be a bit desolate at night on other stretches.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown LA

I like the Traction Ave area with restaurants like NOLA, Wurstkuche and you are very close to Little Tokyo as well.

There is an awesome coffee place on Traction (811 Traction Ave) called Novel Cafe.

If the place is at Traction & 3rd or Traction & Alameda, it might be my choice.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown LA

Both areas are great, and in the middle of a a ton of restaurants, nightlife, pubs, galleries, shops, etc. I never have an issue in either of the areas walking at night by myself. That being said, just like any metropolitan downtown area, you'd need to use street smarts. Spring St and 7th are both always busy, brimming with life day and night, and it's typically a very safe area. There are some areas beyond each of the areas in question that you would not want to wander.

As one poster mentioned, you could read the reviews from Stay on Main to get a feel for the neighborhood. I can tell you that there are still a lot of homeless in the area, constant begging for money, and some people do get scared off by that, some even feel threatened. I just ignore them and walk away. It's just like any big city, including San Francisco, where I find the homeless to be even more present.

But the Spring St area in the Historic Core is one of the most popular areas in LA now for nightlife and dining, and I have a lot of fun there. Plenty of places to get a cuppa in the morning. Right on Spring and 7th is Tierra Mia with great coffee and I believe tea as well. 6th and Spring is a huge, brand new Starbucks. Across the street is Spring for Coffee. Lots of cafes and great restaurants as well. While I love the the arts districts, I think you'd find more around you in the historic core as well as being closer to more public transit if you should need it.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 17:43
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown LA

Here is the Downtown DASH (circulator bus) route map, with Metro (Light Rail) stations shown.

The A route hits Traction and 3rd, and you are quite a bit closer to the Metro Gold Line than 7th and Spring is to any Metro station.

ladottransit.com/dash/…map

The DASH fare is 50 cents. A route runs only weekdays from 6am to 6:30 pm.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 20:16
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown LA

However, 7th and Spring is just 5 short blocks to the 7th and Hope St entrance of the 7th St Metro Station, which has the Metro red line to Hollywood, the Blue line to Long Beach and the Metro Expo Line to Culver City, 7th & Spring is also just 4 blocks to the Pershing Square red line station as well. There is also a Dash bus that runs up 7th Street if you don't feel like walking it.

7. Re: Downtown LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:21