We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Hartford...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

We are looking at taking in a game on our vacation- in August. Bringing two 10 y.o. for their first pro game. Is there an area in the stadium that would have some covering so that we aren't in the full sun for an afternoon game- or would it be best to take in a 6:05 game? We don't want to spend a lot on tickets- maybe middle of the road.

Thank you in advance.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

Look into the infield reserve section, 9,11, or 13.

For a 1:00 game the sun will bake your backside except for the top 5 or 6 rows. The shade will creep down until the end of the game where it may be about 7 or 8 rows from the front.

For a 6 pm game I would get rows to the front of those sections.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

Yeah, sitting out in the sun for a baseball game can be brutal at Dodger stadium at that time of year. Its a lot easier all around to go to a late afternoon / night game and mostly or entirely avoid the issue.

For an afternoon game, you'd want to sit on the 3rd base side of the main stadium for maximum shade - any even-numbered section. The 3rd base side is the west side of the stadium where the sun will be setting. Do not sit on the 1st base side (the odd-numbered sections) or in the outfield pavillions - more sun there. Generally though depends on time of game - at noon or 1 pm at the start of the game there will be sun everywhere, won't start getting a lot of shadows until a few hours later.

Generally, except for the top deck, each section is partially shaded by the deck above it - especially the seats further back in each section. There's some awnings at the very back of the top deck but not sure how much shade they really offer.

For a good combination of price and view, I'd suggest the Reserve MVP / Infield reserve sections on the 2nd highest deck. For a day game, stick with sections 5, 7 or 9 (or the odd number sections from 11-19) to try and at least have some shade. For a night game, basically any section between 1 and 20, but the lower the number, the better.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 15:57
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

We both said basically the same thing EXCEPT the Odd sections are on the 3rd base side.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

Ooops, somehow I reversed it - Drill-n-fill is correct - the odd #'d sections are on the 3rd base side, and that's where you'd want to sit for a day game.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,610 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

Why not pick a night game? I like them a whole lot better because in August, there are far better places to be on a warm, sunny afternoon!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

I would recommend an evening game in August as well. Most Friday nights have fireworks after the game where you can come down and sit on the field to watch the show. I normally buy my Dodger tickets on Stubhub. Typically the price is lower (since a lot of season pass holders sell on there) and you can find some good deals.

My son and I love going to games. Hope you have a great time!

7. Re: Calling on help from Dodger Fans!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 07:18