We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring hotels and other general questions

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transferring hotels and other general questions

All right, so I am traveling to Los Angeles during the summer with a friend and plan on staying for 1 week. (July 2 - July 9)

Just so everyone knows, I am 18 years old, from Iowa, and everything is really... new (not to mention scary!), so I am probably going to be asking a lot of questions that might sound like common sense. Also, I won't be able to rent a car due to my age.. and will be relying heavily on public transportation (and also I am on a budget). I'm going to Los Angeles to attend Anime Expo, but decided to stay around a few more nights to see more things. Thank you in advance.

So far, this is what I have come up with... If I am mistaken or wrong about any plans, please tell me! I will put a * in front of my major questions...

My plane is scheduled to arrive at LAX at 4:20pm. From there, I was planning to take a FlyAway to Union Station and walk to Cesar E Chavez/Vignes where I will take a bus to the first hotel I am staying at, the Millennium Biltmore (4 nights). -I have already booked this hotel-

Luckily, the Millennium Biltmore offers free shuttles to and from Anime Expo, which is what I will be going to most of my time in Los Angeles.

*Any food recommendations in the area??

*Any fireworks or 4th of July events for under 21 in/near LA??

I was thinking to visit Little Tokyo during my stay in LA. I was thinking taking DASH A and B to get there, and then taking a bus back. I was wondering if it is safe walk about 8 minutes to get to the bus stop in this area?

*This is where I am kind of lost in my preparations... (Sunday) Check-out at the Millennium Biltmore is at 12pm, but check-in to my next hotel isn't until 4pm. I don't know how I should go about doing this, since I will probably have a suitcase and a backpack with me, and so will my friend. Is there anywhere I could store this? Or is it okay to walk with this for a few hours? Or would the hotel let me store my baggage before the room is ready? (Apparently there is luggage storage at this hotel, but I don't know if I would have to wait for my room to be open to get this privilege. (Or if there is an awesome tour or something I could do to pass the time that allows for luggage storage, that would be great)

My next hotel I will be staying at is called Baymont Inn and Suites LAX (3 nights). -I haven't booked this yet-

I chose this hotel because it seemed to have good reviews, free breakfast, super reasonable price, free shuttle to airport, and it is sort of in the middle of the other things I wanted to check out.

I was planning to get here by taking two Metro lines and then a bus.. From what I can tell, my luggage will be okay to take with me on these.

While I am staying here, I plan on taking some form of public transportation to the Pacific Square shopping center (Monday). From what I can tell, I will have to walk a bit from the bus stop to and from the shopping center, so I was wondering again if that is safe/advisable.

On the other free day I have here (Tuesday), I plan on taking 2 buses to visit the Hollywood and Highland Center where I will hopefully get a picture of the Hollywood sign, do the TMZ tour bus thing, and check out a movie at the Chinese Theatre.

Sadly, my flight leaves at 11:20am on Wednesday.. Luckily, there is a free shuttle service starting at 7am.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

First, glad to see that you've done a good bit of research on this.

A few comments:

a) from Union Station to the Biltmore, it would be easier to take the Red or Purple Line subways from Union Station to the Pershing Square station which is a block or so away from the Biltmore, and walk the rest of the way. Probably a bit easier than walking to Cesar E Chavez/Vignes first and taking a bus from there.

b) food near the Biltmore - depends a bit on what your budget is and actually time of day / day of week. Generally nearby you'll have mostly only the high end restaurants open on nights and weekends. Most of the nearby mid-range / fast food places are catering to the downtown office worker crowd and thus are really only open during work hours on weekdays. In any cases, can offer lots of specific suggestions but type of food and budget per meal would be good to know. But because the Biltmore is near the subway, no particular need to limit yourself to things in the immediate area. A few places you can go that aren't too expensive a) subway to the Lakewood / MacArthur Park station and eat at Langer's Deli (only open for lunch and breakfast), an LA institution famous for its pastrami sandwiches b) take the subway to Union Station then head to Philippe's The Original, one of two LA area restaurants that claims to have invented the French Dip sandwich, c) take the Subway to Union Station and then take the Gold Line train one stop to Chinatown or to Little Tokyo - lots of Chinese / Japanese eateries in each respective area or d) subway to Union Station and then Gold Line to the Memorial Park station in Pasadena, where you'll find a variety of restaurants. Also you can walk to the LA Live area near Staples Center (or take subway to 7th St. Metro Center and possibly Expo or Blue Line light rails to the Pico station) where there are lots of additional restaurants that are indeed open at night - also nearby is the Original Pantry Cafe - open 24 hours a day and another LA institution type of place.

re: Little Tokyo - not sure which DASH bus stop you are thinking of, but as mentioned above you can go there via the subway and the Gold Line and not bother with the DASH bus.

Fireworks - a traditional one is the 4th of July concert at the Hollywood Bowl - the fireworks are always great but at 18 years old, the program at the concert you may or may not find appealing. If you did want to go, you can take the subway to the Hollywood / Highland station and then walk to the Bowl from there (about 1 mile) or take a shuttle bus from there for a few dollars to the Bowl).

Baymont Inn and Suites - Not sure about this choice, at least for its location. Its not really close to Hollywood / Highland (the Biltmore is much more convenient for that since you can take the subway straight there) and as to the Pacific Square shopping center, I wonder if you have a particular reason for wanting to go to this particular shopping center? I believe it has a lot of Asian shops / restaurants but I suspect you can find similar in Little Tokyo, Chinatown, or Korea Town. In any case, if it works for your itinerary, then it works. Most hotels with free shuttles to the airport are not going to be any better located really.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

I was going to add that the transfer from the Biltmore to the center of Hollywood (the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av) can be accomplished by simply riding the red line metro rail for 15 minutes so if you plan to visit Hollywood, it would be a lot easier to just get a hotel in or near Hollywood rather than to return to a hotel near LAX which would put you far from Hollywood.

Take a look at the Coral Sands Motel. Info is here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d133994-…

This hotel is on the eastern edge of central Hollywood so you'd get off at the Hollywood/Western stop of the red line (2 stops BEFORE the Hollywood/Highland red line station. To explore Hollywood, you can simply drop your luggage at the Coral Sands (they will hold them for you if your room isn't ready) and then ride 2 short metro rail stops (or take a bus westbound on Hollywood Bl).

When it's time to return to the airport, you can take the red line back to Union Station followed by the Union Station Ffyaway bus to LAX.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

What is your nightly budget? I think the idea of staying near LAX is terrible. I know the shopping center you're talking about and the neighborhood. I don't think this should be your reason for staying nearby. If you had a car and wanted to check it out, okay. Otherwise, I'd skip it. The remainder of your itinerary is very far away. The schlep factor of getting anywhere will be huge. Easily 2 hours to get anywhere.

So tell us what your nightly budget is?

Seattle
Level Contributor
609 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

One concern I have is your age and checking into the hotels. A lot of hotels will not allow an 18 year old to check in to a hotel alone. Have you checked the policy of the Biltmore and the other hotel you want to stay at? Be sure and get that squared away too. You don't want to find this out on your arrival.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

Thanks a lot for all of the recommendations! I find this extremely helpful and more assuring :)

Thanks for all of those food recommendations as well. I didn't even know that fast-food chains would be closed on the weekends. Never crossed my mind!

Hmm.. I don't think I will be doing anything too exciting for the 4th of July. Probably just watch fireworks somewhere.

I messaged the Biltmore, and they said that I was able to check in 18+ when I arrive (I swear their website says 21+ somewhere).

I think you are all right on the second hotel. I am going to book somewhere in hollywood. That Coral Sands Motel is perfect for my budget! My budget is pretty much under $100 a night.

If I have time, I will visit the Pacific Square shopping center via public transport.

*Would you say metro.net is pretty reliable? Or how do you fid out which lines exactly to get on? I've been using metro.net and google maps (haha)

----Why I want to visit: I have a fascination for the Japanese language, and I love their comics.. The store BookOff is nowhere near me. I visited this chain in Japan. Their comics are super cheap! It's hard to explain, but this is semi-important from my own preferences..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

The Motel 6 has a bit better location for a couple of young girls...at about the same price. Also check the Quality Inn on La Brea Not sure that either the Motel 6 or the Coral Sands will store your luggage for you, but the Biltmore will.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

I'll keep searching for hotels/motels for the last few days!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

Not sure if the DASH shows up on any of the route-finding websites, but you can check their schedules (as well as Commuter Express) here

http://www.ladottransit.com

Downtown route map

ladottransit.com/dash/…map

B- DASH stops right outside the Biltmore, however it is the A Dash that goes down 1st Street. So that you don't have to transfer, going to LT on the A, walk to the northbound stop at 6th and Fig . Coming back southbound from Little Tokyo you can get off on Flower. Both routes are weekeday only starting at about 6 am and ending at 6:30 pm.

9. Re: Transferring hotels and other general questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 06:19