We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland to Venice Beach?

Bowen Island, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Disneyland to Venice Beach?

We're visiting Disneyland at the end of March - we're at Disney for 4 days and have 1 day for some sort of sightseeing trip, and my kids really want to go to Venice Beach. We're not renting a car, and we're not interested in moving hotels for a night. Anyone know of any reasonably quick (or at least comfortable) way/route to Venice Beach? Google Maps said the trip on the bus would take 3h20m each way!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

Would really work out best to rent a car for the day. Otherwise you might try arranging transportation with www.zippyshuttle.net One other option - take Disneyland Express bus to LAX and a taxi from LAX to Venice.

Taxi from Disney to Venice would be $100 or more each way. By public transit I don't know of any way to do it that would be less than 3 hours each way.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,973 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

I'd reconsider changing hotels. If you are departing from LAX, Venice is 15 or 20 minutes from LAX. It seems like a waste of time to transfer to Venice then back to Anaheim then to LAX. You needn't pack as if you're getting onto a plane when you make the switch to a second hotel -- just 'throw things together' (use paper sacks, if necessary). Then, if you stay near LAX on that final night, you'll be at the airport in just a few minutes via the hotel free shuttle van.

FYI, why do your kids want to see Venice? It's about as opposite to Disneyland as you can get. DL is all about 'the happiest place on earth' (where everyone smiles and the paint never peels on buildings); Venice, on the other hand, is an old urban beach community with lots of peeling paint, and 'real life characters' (homeless people, tattoo artists, street vendors selling t-shirts and sunglasses). There's also an outdoor gym called "Muscle Beach".

Lots of people visit Venice but if you're planning to transfer up and back and then back to LAX, I want you to know what you're going to be visiting. You might consider expanding your visit to include nearby Santa Monica (much more Disneylike). In either case, I'd switch hotels.

Here's a map from DL to Venice to LAX: A= Disneyland (at the southeast corner); B=Venice; C=LAX

http://mapq.st/1e7YQpE

Have a great visit

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,527 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the Los Angeles forum, CatB.

How old are your kids? Please read reviews of Venice Beach. It skews towards adults and, like HSJ, I cannot think of a polar opposite to Disneyland! Santa Monica is adjacent and is a lovely, safe, family friendly destination. I recommend it instead.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

Why go all the way to either Venice Beach or Santa Monica?

There are plenty of great beach areas close to Disneyland, such as Huntington Beach and Newport Beach (Especially the Balboa Peninsula area).

www.visitnewportbeach.com

www.surfcityusa.com

To get to the Balboa Pier, you could take the local bus, OCTA Route 43 goes down Harbor Blvd to Newport Beach, and then transfer to the 71 to get to Balboa Pier.

www.octa.net

If you prefer the train system, Metrolink/Amtrak goes from the Disneyland area to both San Clemente and Oceanside.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

How old are 'the kids'? What are their expectations? Have you read the reviews? My favorite recent comment about VB is "they've increased the police presence".

I agree with HSJ. Change your hotel for the last night. Also, rent a car for that day.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

Change hotels, look in Santa Monica for that last day, if it's in your budget. Venice isn't necessarily great with kids, although there is plenty to keep their attention there's so much going on - if they want to go, then by all means, go!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

IMHO you are getting very bad advice if someone thinks that going to Huntington Beach, Newport Beach or San Clemente is an equivalent experience to Venice Beach.

It is possible to debate if Venice is a good idea for young children, but I really don't get advice to go someplace else that is nothing like the place you'd like to go.

On the flip side, you are getting good advice to reconsider not switching hotels. The expense of getting to Venice and back one day and then LAX the next seems redundant.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

If this is your last night before flying out, I agree it would be better to move closer to the airport. Mariba del Rey backs up to the Venice peninsula and is also near LAX. Try the Jamaica Bay Inn, there is also Marriott and Hilton Garden Inn .

I assume you and your kids know what Venice Beach is about.,

Edited: 20 February 2014, 12:45
9. Re: Disneyland to Venice Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:24