We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Hi I was wondering what the best way to go from MAN to LAX is.

I've heard a lot of bad things about changing inside America due to the domestic flights not exactly being the best, is that true?

I don't have any cemented dates but I can take 7 days off work in June or July for whichever dates are the best.

My company has given us automatic Silver membership in the Virgin Atlantic flying club but obviously that's a lot more expensive to travel with than other options like US Airways.

I previously travelled with Air France VIA CDG which was a very nice trip but they are also quite expensive.

If changing in America isn't so much of a bad thing that'll make up my mind for the best way to do things.

Thanks,

Nick

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

I would recommended you ask this question in the TA's Air Travel Forum....

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,421 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

>>I've heard a lot of bad things about changing inside America due to the domestic flights not exactly being the best, is that true?

No idea what that means. You are flying coach and coach is the same wherever you fly with some minor differences

Changing in America is more of a logistics issue where you have to land say at PIT or PHL and go through immigration/ collect bags. go through Custom and then drop bags off being going to your next gate

That takes time as opposed to flying from MAN to say LHR and taking a non-stop from BA or Virgin or United to LAX

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Ah ok, I just got told by some friends that the domestic flights in America are particularly bad and just changing there in general is a bit of a pain.

So would you say that it's fine to travel with somebody like US airways for a much lower fair or should I travel with somebody a bit more expensive like Virgin Atlantic which would allow me to travel direct from LHR?

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Ah, sorry for posting in the wrong place, I'll try there instead.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,421 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

well that is your decision. In general flight from the major Euro airlines BA, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, KLM are better in coach that US AIr (soon to be American) or Delta or other airlines.

Now if the fare difference is a lot and you get a cheaper flight on US air, I guess that will then be a call you will have to make. Please make sure you have 3 hours of a layover in the first entry point in the US

If this was a flight during our Winter, I would say, fly non-stop as weather may cause a lot more issues but in June/July that (ie snow) is not an issue

The Air travel forum is a good forum but you do need to provide more info. Is the price difference large ? hard for someone to give specific advise otherwise. By the way many of us on the Ca forum spend more time on flights than we do waiting in lines at theme parks.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 14:57
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Right, I'll think about it for a little, maybe one of the Euro airlines will issue a sale before I have to book which would cement my decision to fly with one of them.

Cheers.

St Helens England
Level Contributor
180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

I have flown a few times on that route, Delta via Atlanta was ok (came back with Air France via Paris so ended up on a plane full of families coming back from Disneyland Paris) but the flight left on time, Customs at Atlanta was awful, took ages and thought that I was going to miss my connection but it did move a lot better in the end.

Been with BA for the last couple of times via Heathrow and they were quite good and as they have lots of shuttle planes going to LHR from Man, if you miss one you can get another..

Would love to try Virgin but it's always been more expensive than BA.

The sale's have just finished so the next one won't be till about May time but to be honest I would just skyscanner/expedia/opodo every day and sometimes the prices are not much more expensive than when a sale is on. Sunday's seem to be cheaper to fly out from but you do miss out on the weekend though.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,421 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Please do yourself a favor and book your ticket directly with the carrier/airline and not through any third party website. Cut the middleman or they will cut you if there is an issue. It is ok to look and compare fares at the other sites but when you purchase it , please do it directly. Also look at www.kayak.com and Google's ita matrix software

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

Yeah I've read a lot of horror stories about Booking agents so I plan on avoiding them, although I am thinking of possibly trying to hold British Airways/Virgin Atlantic to their best price guarantee as long as that isn't too tricky.

10. Re: Best option to fly from MAN to LAX?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 06:18