We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica hotel?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica hotel?

I need suggestions on a hotel in Santa Monica, under $200/night, I would like to stay on the beach but will settle for a few blocks away. I will be arriving in July for 3 days. Thanks

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,912 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

Hello Reese - I don't think you are going to find anything near the ocean at that price over the busy 4th of July holiday weekend. The best I found, plugging your dates and budget into TripAdvisor (I did this on the Santa Monica page so only that neighborhood's hotels came up) and in your budget, the motels are about 1 mile inland. They are on bus lines, so it's really no problem to get to the beach and downtown SM's busy area. They are TravelLodge, Comfort Inn, and Best Western Plus Gateway Hotel. You might look at Le Meridien Delphina, too, but it's showing $270 a night, and that's without taxes.

You can also try this, which did not come up in my search:

http://www.seashoremotel.com/index-2.html

It's basic, but very well located along Main St., a block from the beach.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,992 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

Sorry, there's nothing in that price range, not even far from the beach. The least expensive hotels near the beach start at about $350/night plus tax during the summer months.

The motels mentioned above are not in great locations, and are extremely expensive for what they are - basic motels/low end 2 star hotels.

See if the Cal Mar Suites or Sea View Hotel or Sea Shore Motel or Hotel California are close to your budget. At least these are well located and have a little bit of charm.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

Hi, Reese

I've looked at your other thread and I have some questions for you?

a. You've said that you don't want to stay in L.A. Why not?

b. Will you have a car?

c. What are your actual travel dates? (Plum is indicating that you'll be here over July 4th but I'm not seeing this info from you anywhere).

Based upon the info you've provided so far, the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach is a strong contender. It is in the 'south bay', a little bit outside of Los Angeles so if you won't have a car, it will take some time to visit some of the sites you've mentioned.

If you'll have a car, many hotels in the greater L.A. area charge for overnight parking. There is also 'room tax' added to all hotel rooms of about 15% so if you include these 2 factors into your budget, than the most you'd be able to pay for the room itself (if you assume overnight parking of about $20) is $156/night. Note: the Seaview Inn in MB does not charge for parking so that hotel is within your budget.

In addition to the Seaview (but without knowing your exact travel dates), you might look at the following hotels (these are in Los Angeles!):

a. The 3-star Miyako Hotel in the "Little Tokyo" neighborhood

b. The 3-star Hollywood Hotel (<- that's the name of the hotel) on 1160 N. Vermont Av in Hollywod

c. The 3-1/2-star LA Hotel Downtown in downtown LA

d. The L.A. Sky Boutique Hotel on the westside of Los Angeles (20 minute drive to the beach WITHOUT TRAFFIC).

e, Actually in Marina del Rey (rather than Los Angeles) but a short walk to Venice (L.A.) Beach, the Foghorn Harbor Inn Hotel is on a cove (aka Mother's Beach) on the inland waterway of the marina. The hotel is a little bit beyond your price range but will put you as close to the beach as possible and without being in Los Angeles and still stay close to your budget.

Please tell us more!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

Its not that I dont want to stay in LA, I just want to be near the beach. It seems Santa Monica would be a good fit, its by the beach but not tOo far from the tourist sites that I am interested in. I will be there July 17-20th. I will have a rental car because I do plan on seeing other sights such as, Hollywood Blvd., Walk of fame, Beverly Hills, etc.,. Thanks for all of your help.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,457 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

Look at the Sea View Inn Manhattan Beach, Foghorn Harbor Inn in Marina Del Rey and the Venice Beach Suites & Hotel.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

For your dates, hotwire.com is offering some interesting hotels. They don't disclose the actual name of the hotel until you book but they provide the star-rating, a list of amenities that the hotel has an its approximate neighborhood. From this info, we can often identify the hotel in advance or make a 'short list' of the hotels it could be.

For your dates, hotwire.com has the following (among others) -- these prices are BEFORE 'room tax' of 15% and do not include parking fees (if any):

1. A 3-star hotel in Santa Monica-Venice-Marina del Rey for $186/night. The property has free parking a pool and free breakfast. This could be any one of several properties -- all, quite good. These include (in Santa Monica): the Wyndham, the Ocean View Hotel and the Doubletree; in Venice: the Inn at Marina del Rey (technically, on the edge of Marina del Rey but steps from Venice Beach); in Marina del Rey, the Marina del Rey Hotel. All of these hotels are decent.

2. A 3-1/2 star hotel in the same area as above for $223/night. The property has a restaurant and fitness center, it is a 'boutique-style' hotel and it's near the beach. This hotel is MOST PROBABLY the Hotel Erwin in Venice. Here's a link to their website and also to the reviews for the hotel on Trip Advisor:

http://www.hotelerwin.com/amenities.php

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d81170-R…

If it were me, I'd pick this one! The rooftop lounge rocks!

7. Re: Santa Monica hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18