We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

L.A intimidates me! It's so vast.... I've travelled through 47 countries and my fiance and I have no idea where is best to stay. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that would like to rent a room out for 5-6 days or knows of someone who does homestays. I don't like being a tourist as such- I love getting to know locals and sharing experiences. It's also far nicer when local knowledge is shared. Otherwise please feel free to suggest which area/place is best to stay in- some say downtown, others say stay well away. In the meantime, I'll read through the mountain of messages posted here to give me more info.

Thank you in advance.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

Try airbnb. There are options to stay in a room or guest house and interact with the hosts.

https://m.airbnb.com/s/Los-Angeles--CA#

Or perhaps a B&B. Search B&B here on TA instead of hotels.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

Tell the folks here what you want to do and see in LA, when you plan to visit, how many nights, rest of your US/CA itinerary, budget on USD per night. You will get better suggestions than folks randomly giving not necessarily applicable suggestions. Help us help you.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 07:59
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

What is your nightly budget? What is your itinerary? Will you rent a car? When are you visiting?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

Do you see the TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page? Start there rather than looking through all of the postings.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

You might also want to check out couchsurfing.org - I have a young friend who has been using this in South America, and she is loving it. Have a wonderful trip!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,883 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

A B & B would be nice for you (as well as the other options mentioned), but as to location, you might like somewhere other than downtown if L.A. feels overwhelming. Santa Monica is a kind of microcosm of SoCal (includes its own beach) and is very walkable (which is nice).

Consider spending some time outside of L.A., as in Santa Barbara - not far away, but much more peaceful if that's what you're looking for.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,406 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

You can also search hostels. HI Hostel in Santa Monica is very well located and they do excursions, so there are opportunities to meet other travelers. Not all are teens, either, we get feedback from some older visitors, some even with children.

Couch surfing or staying with strangers is equivalent to hitch hiking. You don't know who you are dealing with and the consequences could go bad.

8. Re: Would love a home stay situation, and I'm not a freeloader!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17