We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal on a Saturday In March

canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Universal on a Saturday In March

There's a group of us planning a short trip to LA in mid-March (about 20 of us ranging from 10 years to 50 years old). We've done Disney, so this time we want to check out Universal Studios. We've purchased a 2-day pass at Costco. Would be able to see and do everything if we were to go to Universal on a Saturday? I'm not sure how busy and long long the line-ups will be. Would we be better to head on a Thursday or Friday? Would one day work then? Or do we need to do two days? Help???

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
200 reviews
from US$79.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
180 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-on Hop-off Double...
581 reviews
from US$49.00*
Go Los Angeles Card
129 reviews
from US$85.00*
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal on a Saturday In March

The issue has lots of variables. In March, the park will get busier as the month progresses due to Spring/Easter Break. Weather also plays a big part in how busy it will get.

Weekdays are usually lighter than weekends, as the Season Pass is popular with locals.

Can you do everything in one day, it is tough, you can get most things done on a light day, but you would miss a few things.

I was there last Friday, and the lines were not that bad.

My basic plan of attack (will change in April with the opening of Minion Mayhem), get to the park before opening, and head straight to the lower lot, ride in the following order, Transformers, Revenge of the Mummy and Jurassic Park. Then check out the rest of the lower lot, including the museum.

Then head back to the upper lot, check the electronic wait boards, and look at the printed schedule you got when entering. Plenty of time to do the show schedule, and come up with a plan.

When at the top, I would either do the Simpsons Ride or the Tram Tour, and then do the other, based on the waits.

Then I would focus on the shows, note, all shows do have a pre-show to keep folks in the stands entertained. Plan to get to the venue at least 30 minutes early for WaterWorld, Special Effects Stage and the Animal Actors Show.

Other things to factor in, dining and restroom breaks, shopping, and the minor shows like Shrek 4-D, the Blues Brothers and the House of Horrors.

So you might get most things done, and you might want to come back for a half day (I would do it in the AM) to repeat what you enjoyed, and then the things you missed.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 02:14
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,067 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal on a Saturday In March

One day is plenty, imo. You don't need to see EVERYTHING in order to have a great time (any more than you have to visit every Province in Canada in order to have a great time). The city of L.A. and its neighboring municipalities (Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc) have HUNDREDS of attractions. There is SO MUCH MORE to southern California than theme parks.

Our TOP QUESTIONS BOX on the right side of this page will introduce you our wonderful region as will the links running across the top of this page. (You'll need a computer or tablet to see these).

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal on a Saturday In March

I think a lot depends on your temperament. I like Universal Studios. But, I get there about every decade. It seems incredible to me that anyone could spend two consecutive days there. But, that's me. I agree with HSJ. There is so much more in LA to see and do. Take a look at this list.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

Where are you staying?

HTH

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal on a Saturday In March

Agree - most peope spend about 3/4 day at Universal Studios. It won't take you two days to do everything there - if you do go for 2 days, most or all of the 2nd day would probably be spent repeating things you did on the first day.

Crowds should generally be lighter on a Thursday or a Friday in March, but March in general would not be a particularly busy time there.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,837 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal on a Saturday In March

I don't know, guys, 20 people are in this group. It's going to take them a looonnnngggg time to even leave the hotel in the morning with that big a group! I recommend a weekday. Get to the park when it opens and rely on granola bars or a big breakfast so you won't waste time sitting down for a pricey, mediocre meal inside the park. Have an early dinner afterward. There are chain restaurants at City Walk, but you can always do better by making advance reservations for your large party.

6. Re: Universal on a Saturday In March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:21