We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Needing an shopping area

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Needing an shopping area

I posted my question in the wrong forum but, im planning to go to Los Angeles for my 21st birthday, and its coming up soon!

I want to go shopping, and i dont know where to stay. so is there anyone who knows of the good shopping areas, whether it be malls, strip malls, boutiques etc.

im look for trendy clothing for my age and im not look to spend A LOOT of money, but dont really have a beudget right now.

i also need to know some good hotels to stay in.

i have to plan this soon my birthday is on march 6th!!

Thank you all!

Universal CityWalk Hollywood
Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Olvera Street
Historic Walking Areas, Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Needing an shopping area

What else do you want to do beside shopping?

I am going to presume you are not going to rent a car.

In the LA area, The Anaheim area near Disneyland has a lot of shopping choices that are easy to get to with a rental car, and has a lot of options for accommodations, plus easy to get to from LAX, SNA or LGB airports.

I would look at the Ayres Orange Hotel, near The Outlets at Orange. Then take advantage of the private shuttles to visit the Citadel Outlets and South Coast Plaza (a very upscale mall, but has some lower priced options, especially if you walk around the area.

And plenty of other easily reachable options including the Westfield Main Place Mall and the corner of Harbor and Orangethorpe.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c168883/Anahei…

You are also close to the Anaheim Train Station, where you can catch the Metrolink or Amtrak trains to sightsee to other places in the area.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
5,785 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Needing an shopping area

It would be helpful to know your price range for lodging

but for a birthday you might want to do Santa Monica, 3rd street Promenade and go shopping at Santa Monica Place

http://www.santamonicaplace.com/

Or you could to it inland and enjoy The Grove for shopping

http://www.santamonicaplace.com/

enjoy a casual lunch at LA Farmers Market and then splurge for dinner somewhere else

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

and if budget accommodations is more what you are looking for

farmers daughter hotel in this area

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d119479-…

so many other choices.......]

will you have a car or not

H-Birthday.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Needing an shopping area

i mainly want to go shipping, go to nice restaurants. and potentially see the beach haha i know its still cold but one canadian can hope!

what area is rodeo drive in? i know its an expensive strip but would love to see it.

i truly want to be like very central too, so my mom and i can see LA.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Needing an shopping area

Unless you are going to Disneyland, I don't think you will want to hang out in Anaheim for your 21st B'Day! You are on the LA forum because, presumably, you'd like to spend your time in LA?

There are tons of shopping venues in LA, from traditional malls to outdoor malls to thrift stores to boutiques throughout the city. Downtown LA is home to the Fashion District (not my cup of tea, but I hate to shop).

http://www.fashiondistrict.org/content/?c=17

I would start by choosing a place to stay. Look at the Hotels tab at the top of this page, in the green bar. Plug in your dates, budget, and pull up the map to see where the hotels are located. If you are unsure of an area, ask us about it and we can tell you if it's walkable, if there's shopping, etc.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Needing an shopping area

well its only going to be my mother and i, and were only planning to go for a weekend (like 3 or 4 nights tops) i really like the four seasons but i dont even know where that is in LA and if its close.

This Santa Monica Place sounds intriguing, i looked at some of the stores and they appeal to me.

Is Santa Monica different from LA if so how far apart are they from each other... or is it a part in LA...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Needing an shopping area

Then Anaheim is not where you want to be, its an hour from Los Angeles and all of the areas I'm going to talk about below.

The best place to stay for shopping is the Beverly Grove area. On its western side it has the massive Beverly Center mall and the smaller Beverly Connection mall, and about a mile away on the eastern side is The Grove shopping center that was already mentioned. On the streets in between are tons of boutique shops, and nearby the malls are Ross Dress-for-Less stores if your budget is tight. Rodeo Drive is a few miles west of the Beverly Center, in the middle of Beverly Hills (the portion of Rodeo Drive that has all the famous high end shops is between Santa Monica Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd., and the shopping extends to nearby streets - in the mix here are actually some mid-range shops as well so its not completely out of the question to shop here instead of just window shop). More boutiques on Robertson Blvd. just west of the Beverly Center as well.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Needing an shopping area

Thanks so much i will do that. and yeah im look for a huge range of stores, exactly like you listed.

so pretty much if i stay central in LA, cabs or Public transport will get me where i need to go?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Needing an shopping area

Santa Monica is technically a separate city from LA but they are right next to each other.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Needing an shopping area

I guess we were typing at the same time!

Rodeo Drive is in Beverly Hills. It's well worth a drive through, or stop and wander the street if you'd like.

Westwood would be a good area with two big malls nearby (Westside Pavilion and Westfield Century City), lots of small shops near UCLA, about a 30 minute bus ride to Santa Monica (more shopping and the beach).

The area by The Grove is very walkable and great shopping; look into the Farmer's Daughter hotel.

Culver City's downtown area is very nice, walkable, good restaurants and right by the Metro rail line, taking you to downtown LA. There are a cluster of hotels not near downtown; I don't recommend them because it is a terrible area to walk (freeway is noisy, streets all around are congested, slow and noisy. Just a terribly unappealing place to walk). Try this in CC:

www.culverhotel.com/default.aspx?pg=history

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Needing an shopping area

Hotels in the Beverly Grove area include Sofitel, The Elan, the Orlando, the afforementioned Farmer's Daughter and the Beverly Laural Motor Inn if on a budget.