We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash withdrawl limits

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
cash withdrawl limits

Nothing on search TA forum.

Does anyone know what the daily cash withdrawl limit is from the cash machines?

Possibly it will vary depending on which bank name is on the machine?

Initially planning to use the machines at the airport. Also considering changing cash (UK sterling) to local currency. Are there many exchange bureaus at the airport and has anyone found this to be a good option?

Thanks ahead of any replies

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
513 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash withdrawl limits

The money exchange booths at airports in general give you a poorer return than if you exchanged before you leave

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash withdrawl limits

I think it may be $300 but you should call your bank. I ran into a situation in Europe when I needed to take out more than that (long story but had to do with a vacation rental). I called my bank while still in the US and was approved for $500 I think for one time.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash withdrawl limits

The daily limit is set by your own bank.

When I travel to Europe I make sure to tell my bank that I need their withdrawal limit raised and they do so for the duration of my trip. Discuss it with your bank.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,774 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cash withdrawl limits

do you have credit cards or do you not wish to use them. When we travel abroad we withdraw "petty cash" for misc things but use credit cards.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cash withdrawl limits

For sure there is a daily withdraw limit that is determined by your bank. The bank whose name is on the ATM that you use would probably only have a limit for a single transaction, but not a daily limit, so if you need to get as much cash as possible, you can probably do multiple transactions. If you are going to be needing a lot of cash, you may want to contact your bank, inform them of your travels and ask them to temporarily raise the limit. Probably a good idea to contact them anyway and notify them of your travel so that it won't trigger any fraud alerts when they see lots of money being withdrawn with your card thousands of miles from where you live.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash withdrawl limits

As stated, there are multiple things to look at... What is your bank's limit? And it might be in your native currency, so maybe you can't get $500 US, but could get $480 US, you need to ask your bank.

Also, the individual ATM might have a limit lower than your bank, mainly due to the location and frequency of refilling the machine.

Then there is the Cash Back option many retailers offer when using a Debit Card for a purchase, I know 7-111 only allows $10, but places like WalMart will offer $300. Each store sets its own limit, and some stores don't offer the option.

7. Re: cash withdrawl limits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:21