We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View of Los Angeles by night

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
View of Los Angeles by night

We will be staying with our children in Anaheim and want to show them a view of Los Angeles by night (we live in a small town at the bottom of the world!) as we expect they will find it fascinating. Is there anywhere close to Anaheim where we can do that? Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

Anaheim is an hour from Los Angeles in a different county all together, so if you want the views of Los Angeles (which I suspect is what you want since the views of Anaheim are dull) you would have to drive to LA. Your best bet is to drive to Griffith Park (the Griffith Observatory) for a sunset view, which offers spectacular views of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

Depends on how far "close" is for you. Anaheim is an hour from Los Angeles by car, and there's no where high enough in Anaheim that you'd get a view of LA itself, really. Good places to go for this are in LA itself:

The Griffith Observatory which is up in the hills north of LA

The parking lot at Dodger Stadium or from the stadium concourse behind home plate - probably can not gain entry to the parking lot on nights where there is no Dodgers game - possible during the day - but if you want to attend a Dodgers game, this is a good way to see the city skyline too.

The rooftop of the parking structure at The Grove mall - only 5 or 6 stories high but a very good unobstructed view from up here.

From the Getty Museum in Brentwood - its only open in the evenings one night per week - Saturdays, but a similar view of LA as the Griffith Observatory, just of the city's west side and coast instead of downtown LA and Hollywood.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 23:59
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

Anaheim is not proximate, sorry. For those night views, you need to be in the city at a high bantage point. The city view at night is a memory I will never forget from my first time here at a tourist. I can still feel the shiver up my spine (small town here, too!).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

Do you just want to see a lot of lights? Best nighttime flights of L.A. I've had were from airliners arriving or departing; did show lots of lights, but no distinguishable characteristics for the most part. Griffith Park is one option. Getty Center (huge art museum) in the western part of L.A. is another, and is open some evenings, I believe. Driving over Sepulveda Pass (I-405) either direction will show you lots of lights. Driving along Mulholland Drive, in the Hollywood Hills, gives great nighttime views of the San Fernando Valley of L.A. (popular place for lovers to park). None of these is close to Anaheim, which is not a very convenient base for seeing L.A.

I imagine there are places in or near Anaheim where you can view a carpet of lights (Orange County is part of the huge, non-stop Southern California metropolis; not really separate from Los Angeles county in terms of lights). Your hotel can help advise you.

There are sightseeing helicopter tours in L.A., and as I recall there are a few in the evening.

There may be highrise hotels with restaurants at the top in the L.A./Orange County area.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 00:06
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

Thanks. We fly in at 8.30pm in mid-September. Any idea if it is dark then? If so the view from the plane should be great and should suffice.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

Yes, sunset in LA on Sep 1, 2014 is at 7:19PM and gets earlier as the month progresses. So yes it should be dark by 8:30.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

For what it's worth, during September we usually get certain winds called the "Santa Ana" winds. If we have these winds during your arrival there is a chance that your flight may take an over the water approach to LAX meaning you will see ZERO lights, or maybe some of the coastal areas which are not so dramatic.

So, plan accordingly and maybe have a backup plan.

Of all the previous comments I would really recommend a stop at the Griffith Observatory. Outstanding views and you can linger for a while if you want.

Dr. Z

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

You will see lights.

9. Re: View of Los Angeles by night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:18