We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Hi. We were thinking of staying at the new Hampton Inn by the LAX in Hawthorne on Imperial Hwy just east of Hawthorne Blvd. How is this area to stay? We have a car so we won't be walking around. But we will be coming back late each night. I've lived in LA before but out in the San Gabriel valley so I am not familiar with the west and south of LA. And which areas around this neighborhood should I generally avoid?

We are trying to find a reasonably priced hotel that we don't have to jump around. We plan to visit Universal studios, Hollywood, the beaches, probably Orange County, Huntington Beach area. Thanks.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,340 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

The biggest problem is that it's too far away and you'll spend too much of your vacation in your car, in traffic.

What's your budget per night/per room, maybe we can help you find something that makes more sense.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

I wouldn't stay there. It's in the middle of nowhere. There is no single place to stay that's convenient to Orange County and the city of L.A. Staying in Hawthorne will mean long drives no matter what you visit and a neighborhood that's unappealing.

Please tell us more about your plans:

a. Your EXACT travel dates

b. The number of days you'll be spending in OC and the number of days in L.A.

c. The number of people you are traveling with (so we know how many beds you'll need).

d. Your budget for a hotel.

If it were me, I'd stay in downtown L.A., forego the car while you're visiting Hollywood and Universal which are accessible by the red line metro rail ($1.50 per ride) and then rent a car for your drive(s) into OC. If you plan to spend 2 or more days in OC, I'd move to a second hotel but if you're not open to that, then downtown is still a good option as there is much to see and do there.

There are express buses between LAX and downtown L.A. that run every 30 minutes ($8).

Connecticut
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Hi. We will be there from 3/19 to 3/24 but will be driving down from SF via rental car. There are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 girls age 12 and 16. So we will have a rental car already and will need it as we are also planning to visit some friends down in OC 1 day. I'm hoping to keep hotel budget to under $140 per night but don't want to stay in a motel. I'm thinking 2 days for Universal Studios, Hollywood, Observatory, Venice Beach/Santa Monica Pier and then 3 days in OC/San Diego and whatever else. I'm also toying around with the idea of going to Joshua Tree but I am not sure if it's worth it to go.

I hadn't thought about downtown because I thought traffic would be bad and my family are not huge museum people. But if there's something we should look at in downtown, I am open to checking it out. Thanks!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Downtown doesn't have a particularly high concentration of museums -- no more than many other areas, at any rate. There is some interesting architecture, e.g. the Catholic Cathedral, Disney Concert Hall, and nearby Chinatown and Little Tokyo to explore. Plus Staples Center, Nokia Theater, etc, etc.

There is excellent freeway (interstate) access from downtown to all corners of southern California. Traffic would be going in the opposite direction than you would be as commuters will head INTO downtown in the morning, etc.

Hotel rates are somewhat reasonable in downtown but parking can be steep. For this reason, I'd transfer to a second hotel in OC for your last 3 days. This will also cut down on all the back and forth driving.

For your dates, 3/19/14 to 3/21/14, here are some ideas for hotels...

1. A little bit over your budget, hoteltravel.com has the Omni for $180 per night (Including the 15% 'room tax'). This 4-star is the #3-rated hotel in L.A. out of 314 hotels ranked on tripadvisor.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77804-R…

2. A little bit over your budget, The Line (hotel) is in the Koreatown area (just west of downtown). This newly-renovated 4-star has rooms for $180 including tax via TheHotels.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77852-R…

3. Bookit.com has the Miyako hotel in the Little Tokyo district for $125 per night (plus 15% 'room tax'). This would be your best option:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223046-…

4. In the eastern part of Hollywood (not far from downtown), hotels.com is offering rooms in the "Hollywood Hotel" (<-- that's the hotel's name) on 1160 N. Vermont Av for $127 per night + tax. Parking is either free or inexpensive (check with the hotel). This is a 3-STAR.

5. If you're okay with a little uncertainty, hotwire.com is offering an unnamed 4-star hotel in downtown L.A. with a pool and fitness center for $119/night (plus tax). It could be one of several 4-stars but it is likely to be the Bonaventure. No matter which 4-star it ends up being, it's a great value. Of course, there will be a parking charge which is likely to be between $35 and $45 per night. There are only a few other options for overnight parking in downtown -- not conveniently located to all 4-stars -- just some of them.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Lots of 4-star choices on Hotwire for OC (between $98 and $140 for your dates).

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

That isn't a neighborhood I would recommend. If you want to look for a good value hotel south of LAX in Hawthorne, stick with the ones west of the 405 Freeway. There are several near Rosecrans and Aviation.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Well you're going to be doing a lot of driving anyway, if you're taking day trips to San Diego and Orange County. Stick with the Hawthorne Hotel, it's brand new, with queen not double beds, and a small indoor swimming pool for the kids. It'll be much more convenient to your day in Santa Monica than a downtown hotel would be, and easy on the 405 for your drives to the Oc and SD. Not much available in your price range for those dates except for the hotels near LAX.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 07:57
United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

Sorry I hadn't seen where a board expert had said it was in an area that he wouldn't recommend. If you choose to take the advice to stay further west, look @ the Hyatt Place El Segundo which is newer , 2 queen beds, breakfast wifi and parking for $143.

elsegundo.place.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Culver City...
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

A lot of people recommend the Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo. Two Queens for $149 plus tax per night for your visit. It's not perfect in terms of location, but the price is right! It is close to the freeway and a short drive to the beach, so maybe it's better than I think. :) And they have a pool and a hot tub. Nice!

10. Re: Hawthorne - how safe to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:28