We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
please help

Hello, I am thinking about coming to Los Angeles on Easter Sunday and stay for 4 days. I am coming with hubby and two children without a car. Where we should stay - not too expensive but good area preferably with pool. And what is a must see and double with kids using public transportation. Thank you in advance for any help- really appreciate it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,498 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help

Self help is good. Please read the top questions on the right side and then come back with specific questions. What is your per night hotel budget in $?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help

More information is always good like how old are the kids, where you are from and what your budget is for a hotel. "Must sees" depends on your interests and how old the kids are.

Los Angeles is not necessarily a great place to see all the sights tourists like to see without a car.

If it were me, without a car, I'd probably choose Downtown LA as it has good public transportation, several hotels with nice pools and they might be reasonable over Easter as business travel is down during Easter Week.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: please help

Thank you. My kids are 1 and 5. We are coming from cold Chicago. I am doing the research now- thinking about Santa Monica maybe. Would like to spend most of the days on nice beach and strolling through nice places. The hotel budget $150-$180 would be the best per night. Maybe some other beach recomendations for lodging?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help

If you aren't going to rent a car then Santa Monica is your best bet among the beach areas in terms of public transportation, but hotels there are expensive. If you can up your budget a little I would look at something like The Wyndham. If not you're probably looking at more of a motel type property in Santa Monica for the stated budget. Generally 3 star hotels in LA are going to start around $200/nt and in Santa Monica more like $250/nt.

If you can rent a car then you have more possibilities - somewhere like the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach is quite close to the beach and very nice, but its not where you want to be without your own car since public transit from there to the rest of the city isn't very good.

Other areas that have good public transit access include downtown LA and Hollywood. Westwood, Beverly Hills, Beverly Grove area are some others that can work as well.

As for "must sees" really depends on interests. Are your kids boys, or girls? I would say the American Girl store at The Grove shopping center if your 5 year old is a girl. If a boy, the California Science Center where you can see the space shuttle Endeavor.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help

Hi, Precious. Welcome to the Forum. It's helpful if you include your city or country of residence with your screen name so that we can provide the most informed responses. To include this info, click on 'your trip advisor' at the top of the page and edit your profile. Thx.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help

Did your San Antonio trip get changed?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: please help

Yes, we are changing San Antonio to Los Angeles- recently read negative reviews about San Antonio- not much to do etc. So looking for something in California right now.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help

OK then.

So what interests your family? Obviously, the 1 year old and 5 year old may enjoy an amusement park like Disneyland perhaps? Anything else you may enjoy?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: please help

to be honest with you- don't know yet. first trying to find out where we should stay- would love to be close to the beach so we can all enjoy good weather, water and sand....checking santa monica - but the good hotels prices are really expensive.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help

Perhaps if you state your budget, per night, one of the local experts in Santa Monica can help you......otherwise not knowing your budget and not knowing what interests you makes helping you pretty difficult.