We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from San Diego to LA..

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Train from San Diego to LA..

Just wondering if I take a train to LA how far is the airport from the train station and bestt way to get there?? Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

Union Station in LA to the LAX airport is about 10 miles. There's a shuttle bus between the two for $8 per person called the FlyAway bus, runs every 30 minutes most of the day and takes 30-45 minutes generally to reach the airport, plus a little bit of time to go around from terminal to terminal to drop off passengers:

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=292

Taxi from Union Station to LAX is about $45, but no waiting for the bus etc.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

LAX is about 15 miles from Union Station. Easiest way is to take the LAX Flyaway Bus from Union Station to LAX.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4696

Edited: 06 March 2014, 23:50
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

Thanks so much..So far cant find a direct flight from San Diego to Montreal and I hate lay overs etc.. so think of going to LAX to take my flight home...Sounds good..

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,902 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

No disrespect but doesn't taking the train + Flyaway Bus amount to a 3-1/2 to 4 hour 'layover of a sorts'?

And kind of a hassle:

a. Transferring to the rail station in SD

b. Riding the train to Union Station.

c. Descending from the platform down a staircase with your luggage into a tunnel.

d. Walking to the end of the tunnel (make sure it's the right end!) and climbing a staircase to the bus plaza.

e. Finding the Flyaway bus; queuing up to pay for the ticket; waiting for it (it only runs every 30 minutes)

f. Transferring to LAX. Stopping at up to 7 other terminals before reaching yours.

Isn't it easier to just layover at YYZ for 1 hour, 15 min? Of that 75 minutes, part of it will be used up taxiing from the runway to the terminal; part of it will be spent de-planing and walking to the next gate so it's more like a 55 minute layover. Then, it's likely that you'll board the onward flight 20 minutes or so before take off so the total amount of time you'll spend 'laying over' at the airport is only about 35 minutes -- long enough to stretch your legs, use the toilet and get a snack. Easy!

And you won't save any time with a non-stop when you include the transfer time on the train and the flyaway bus; plus the fare for the non-stop is higher than the 1-stop.

Bon Voyage!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

I understand. I hate layovers, too.

You'll enjoy the train trip from SD to Union Station. Consider staying the night in Little Tokyo near Union Station. Great little area. LA Live is nearby.

HTH

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

The trip on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner can be quite scenic in parts, especially in Northern San Diego County, and Southern Orange County. If you opt for the train, when you board in San Diego, opt for a seat on the left side of the train, upper level. (The train goes north, so the best seats are on the west side).

Free WiFi, a chance to easily get up. move around, head to the Bar Car for Food and Drink, easier access to the restrooms, etc over the plane.

Also no real security checks like the ones at the airport, which can be a pain in the .....

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

I think HSJ's observation is worth considering.

Spending four hours in transit to LAX to avoid a two hour layover sounds like a bit of a false economy.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

Nobody said to ignore HSJ comments, but maybe the OP has already bought tickets and are non-refundable...

Post #5 said... >>You'll enjoy the train trip from SD to Union Station.<<

So in post 6 was hints to how to enjoy the trip, IF they opt for it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

All good tips... So you are saying there is no elevator only stairs??

Also I was going to go to a hotel near the airport and then would have a shuttle service.

I do love trains so thought it would be fun.

The flight leaves San Diego at 8.40 amd which means an early start.. From LA it is 11.am. Just thought it might be fun to end the trip like that. For sure can not walk up stairs with luggage Am 65 yrs young..

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from San Diego to LA..

It is going to take you more than 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to LAX from San Diego so it will be an even earlier start for the day if you leave from LAX. Even taking the first train you would be cutting it very close to make it to LAX in time for your flight.